Sorry to make a new amp thread, but I'm getting one soon, I've been told the Deluxe Reverb is better for surf and blues than the Custom Vibrolux Reverb. I'd rather get a Vibrolux, but how do they compare?
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
I think the Dlx. Rvrb is a superior amp for blues, but I'm not so sure about surf.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
The Vibrolux will have more clean headroom. Both have very good reverb and vibrato so both would work well for surf and blues.
So I could get a Vibrolux and it won't sound worse than a Deluxe Reverb? The cleans I mean.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Try 'em out. They both sound great, and can both be used for that type of music.
I'd rather get a Vibrolux, higher wattage, and if they are both great for surf, the Vibrolux just looks more surfy IMO.
Quote by chip46
Quote by lespaul#1
So I could get a Vibrolux and it won't sound worse than a Deluxe Reverb? The cleans I mean.

HeII no, you will just have those wonderful fender cleans at higher volumes before you get tube break up. (Which is also nice). So it's a matter of when you want the break up. When you use an od, you control at what volume you get that break up. If you are going to be playing with a band with no PA to mic through, you may prefer having more watts so you stay clean over a drummer. <-- Thinking surf.
Vibrolux it is, we probably won't have a gig soon, but I don't own a PA, so I'd probably want the Vibrolux. Slats told me the Vibrolux wasn't as good and breaks up earlier than the Deluxe.
Quote by chip46
Slats does know what he is talking about, he's helped me out a lot. (Thanks John). But I can't see the 40 watt'r breaking up earlier than the 22 watt'r tho. Maybe earlier on the dial, but the Vib should get you more clean headroom by design.
Edit: I'm heading to SamAsh in about an hour. I will post when I get back.
Vibrolux is better though, right? And I found skirted knobs for Fender Amps at GuitarCenter. Would those be easy to install? I don't like the ones that come with the Vibrolux.
Quote by chip46
"Better" is always a matter of preference and personal opinion. Both amps are pro series fender amps, high quality. Most knobs are easy to install, some require a small Allan key but most just pull off and push back on.
Back from SamAsh. Argh. Phoned first, said they had both in. But they had a VibroChamp, not a Vibrolux Reverb.
They did have a DRRI and a Princeton Reverb, so I tested those. Both are very nice and have reverb and vibrato. I quickly found the vibrato wasn't working on the DRRI, argh #2. The DRRI was brighter than I expected, all the tone knobs were both set to 5, so I started tweeking. I was able to get great tones and got break up with a tele at about 6 on the volume. Very dynamic, pick sensitive. With the neck pup of a strat it stayed cleaner a little longer, almost 7 1/2, both guitars were MIM's with stock pups. (but I was playing Crossfire with the tele and Riviera Paradise with the strat - I pick harder on Crossfire so the difference could be the dynamics of the amp). Great tones, classic fender IMO so it would work great for surf and hold up to a surf drummer if he isn't going absolutely nuts. Maybe keep the amp at 8 and control the volume/tone with the guitar's controls.
The Princeton was cool. Only 15 watts, one channel, no standby switch. I like this amp. It may not have the headroom you need to stay clean with a surf drummer tho but again, you could control break up by backing down the volume on the guitar. The vibrato worked fine on the Princeton, very nice.
So all I can say is that I suspect the 40 watt Vibro would stay clean louder than the DRRI. Not being able to try them side by side tho sucks balls, I was hoping to.
OK, so I walked around and found the used combo I wanted to try bad. Traynor YCV40, asking $399. The amp was in perfect shape, barely looked used. HSS MIM strat into it. The clean channel was great, very fender-esque, had a bright switch which did add some mids and pop to it. I tried it but preferred it off for the chimey stuff I was playing. The reverb was better than any non-fender I have played. Blew away the reverb on my Delta Blues.
Then I tried the drive channel. Anything up to classic rock no problem. If you can try one, you really should. I think shy of having vibrato, it would work well too for surf. For gain, I would put a OD808 in front of it as I wasn't crazy about the gain the amp had, but that could just be preference.
for surf, i would rather have a deluxe reverb than a vibrolux. and if you need more headroom, i would choose a super reverb instead of a vibrolux. (for surf).
fender currently (to my knowledge) offers two different vibroluxs, one is similar to the original, with a 15 inch speaker. because of the speaker, it wouldnt work well for surf, to much swampy "srv-esque" growl. the other version of a vibrolux has either 4 10s or 2 10s (cant remember) but is really really overpriced because it has some "mods" that Stevies amp tech used to do to his vibroluxs.

i hope this helped some.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Last edited by chea_man at Aug 23, 2008,
I say go for the Vibrolux, but i'd go for a SR any day.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
chea, he's considering a vibrolux reverb 210 version (not the vibroverb), and the DRRI. But that Traynor was sweet too.
Quote by gregs1020
chea, he's considering a vibrolux reverb 210 version (not the vibroverb), and the DRRI. But that Traynor was sweet too.

yeah i know, vibroverb was a typo, im sorry.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Out of those two, the Vibrolux. The DRRI doesn't have the headroom for surf.

And I find it funny that you've been asking the same question since before I got banned.

The Super Reverb or a Twin/Twin Reverb would be the best options for surf.
I can only go as high as the Vibrolux, and that's still pushing it a bit. Sorry I haven't been posting, I was at the beach. Yeah, the Vibrolux seems better for surf, and the 40 watts saves me from buying a P.A. Vibrolux it is.
Quote by chip46
http://cgi.ebay.com/FENDER-65-SUPER-REVERB-REISSUE-GUITAR-AMP-MINT_W0QQitemZ150285618495QQihZ005QQcategoryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There's a Super Reverb in your price range. If you look around on ebay a bit more, I'm sure you could find something cheaper.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Quote by imgooley
Out of those two, the Vibrolux. The DRRI doesn't have the headroom for surf.

And I find it funny that you've been asking the same question since before I got banned.

The Super Reverb or a Twin/Twin Reverb would be the best options for surf.

Yeah, I found a couple vintage Supers for $1200- $2000. Like Greg told me, the recession is working in my favor.
Quote by chip46