I was just going over comfortably numb solos and the whole solo is in D major pentatonic in the key of D actually C# becasue im a half step down but for the sake of converstation D. The solo has this earie sad feeling to me even though the notes lie on the major pentatonic scale. I was playing blue sky by allman brothers this week too which is in the Key of E on the E major pentatonic and it sounds happy. So I played some of the blue sky licks in the key of D and they dont sound as happy. Is the key of D darker sounding then the key of E or is it just because I was in the mood from playing pink floyd and its leaking through into the other song?

Do keys have feelings unique to them? What effects would playing a piece in different keys have other than the obious fact that it would be higher or lower in pitch. Share what you know or give a link to a infomational page?
Last edited by /-\liceNChains at Aug 23, 2008,
Its in B minor? Damn i can never figure out the keys right i thought that because it kept going back to D and the solo was in D major pentatonic. I though the Bm was a vi and A and G were IV and V and D was I.
Quote by professorlamp
B minor is the Relative minor of D major.

I know, but minor and major often provide different moods due to the harmony and intervals.
Quote by /-\liceNChains
Its in B minor? Damn i can never figure out the keys right i thought that because it kept going back to D and the solo was in D major pentatonic. I though the Bm was a vi and A and G were IV and V and D was I.

The solo's also Bm, it's in Bm pentatonic with a couple of b5's (F) thrown in.
Let's not forget D minor, the saddest of all the keys.
Schecter C-1 Elite
Gretsch 5120
Fender Ultra-Chorus Amp
B Major always seems to have a very energetic mood to me, I don't know why, it just seems like something fast is gonna happen fast in that key, however I find this key quite annoying too :P

Don't think of your sister naked.

[You just did]
Quote by Dr LeBrun
Let's not forget D minor, the saddest of all the keys.

^ LOL and my amp goes to 11.

but seriously mood is expressed through context. D minor isnt any more "sad" then E minor on its own. Its a matter of what the composer does with it, and that includes all elements (context).
shred is gaudy music
B minor pent scale : B D E F# A
D major pent scale : D E F# A B
Same ****ing notes no ****. And B minor is the relative minor of D major. Like osmeone above said. So I guess the relative minor pent scale contain the same notes as the relative major pent scale just starting on the last note instead of the first then. Damn pot and music theory do mix well.

Is that true with major and minor scales as well?

EDIT
D major D E F# G A B C#
B minor B C# D E F# G A

So thats why the relative minor is called the relative minor *slaps forhead*
I wish i started learning this stuff a long time ago but its making more and more sense at least. One revalation today.
Last edited by /-\liceNChains at Aug 23, 2008,