My mp3 player died and I need a replacement. I'm picky. Slightly. Help?

Okay, I had a Creative Zen Vision: M for two and a half years, the screen broke a few months ago but I carried on using it, and now it's completely dead.

It was pretty much perfect for what I wanted. My music filled the 30gbs & I could've done with a bit more space but didn't really need it. So how sad am I to hear that Creative have stopped making them, seemingly because they're moving to flash over hard drive.

Well, now I need a new one. An mp3 player that isn't over £150-200 (before it was discontinued, the Vision: M was down to £90. The low end of that budget is honestly the more realistic). And isn't made my Apple. Don't try this one, it's not happening. I'd prefer it not to be the Microsoft one either. I'm asking for Creative Thinking. And I'd like something that isn't any bigger than the Creative, which was in itself a bit of a brick, but it was a dealable brick.

There's a new version of it, which my dad has one in the style of and it broke after about a year of him being really careful with it, so I'm wary and would prefer an alternative.

Okay, I'm asking a lot.

Any ideas?
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
Last edited by DigUpHerBones at Aug 23, 2008,
an ipod, they're the number 1 mp3 player for a reason
Gear:
Fender Deluxe American Fat Strat
Fender American Telecaster
Taylor 714ce
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Fender Champion 300
Macbook Pro
Creative Zen Vision: M 60GB

thats what i have, and it kicks ass.
my screen broke too, but i got it replaced
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
- No iPod
- No Microsoft
- Under £200

FINAL DESTINATION
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
You can't prove that people DON'T walk on water. turn water into wine etc.
One of these?

I know you asked for the lower end of the price bracket, but the people I know with that model say it's reliable enough. If you can deal without the extra space, the 16GB version is £119.99, which seems more than reasonable.

Also, may I ask, why not Apple?
Quote by Felkara
Dude, you just made the most intelligent post in this entire thread. Congrats.
iPod ! I have a Creative Zen V Plus and I'm now going to upgrade to an iPod , I just can't fit my 20GB of music there ..
Get a Zune, even though you said no MS. It's not like you be are gonna constantly staring at the back where it says Microsoft and be thinking "OMFG WTF, it says MS! It's the end of the world!"
Apple is fine. It works well, and you probably use iTunes for music anyway.

Just get a ****ing iPod, shuffles are like what, $50 now?

P.S. I'm a womanfolk! : )
sraeb

Quote by Trefellin
Show me your erection or gtfo... please.
Quote by The Overlord
One of these?

I know you asked for the lower end of the price bracket, but the people I know with that model say it's reliable enough. If you can deal without the extra space, the 16GB version is £119.99, which seems more than reasonable.

Also, may I ask, why not Apple?

That's the kind that my dad has/had, which as I said makes me wary so I'd prefer not to, but it's looking the most likely option.

I just don't like the whole Apple corporation. I know it's probably seen as silly, but I don't want to have the same thing everyone has in their bloody ears (though the Creative is pretty much the second biggest, it's a looonngggg way off that), I don't like the design/how they work, I don't like them not connecting willingly with other products/that whole isolation.
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
so OP is an elitist who doesnt want the same products everyone else uses?

there is a reason why ipods are so popular, some boil it down to clever marketing or fads, but the damn thing just keeps going and gettingmore popular. They really are great devices.

(written from my ipod touch)

also, if u dont like having the same thing as everyone else, u should probably get off your computer, rumor has it microsoft is pretty widespread on this planet at least/

i think you should get the player you enjoy using the most. Try them out and see how easy ipods are, and if u dont like then, well then u have a legitamite reason instead of sounding like the 13 year old "i wanna be different"
Do not get an Ipod, their quality control is awful. You WILL have to send it back for repairs within a year.
I highly recommend the Sandisc line. Aside from when I got broken into and it was stolen, I never had problems with it.
Get a Zune. I have one, have dropped it a few times, and it works ok, sometimes has some weird wheel problems. But the corners on mine are alll scratched, so it makes sense. It just seems beter than an iPod, and probably better in some ways than a Creative, altho i have never used one really. Idk about price in Pounds, but at the current exchange rate, it should only be around 100 pounds for a 30gb.
Quote by koslack
You WILL have to send it back for repairs within a year.

Wrong. Mine lasted 18 months

Seriously though, especially with the old models, there weren't many problems that couldn't be solved with a soft reset, and if that didn't work, smack the fucker after you press a button to turn it on. Works every time for me.
Quote by Felkara
Dude, you just made the most intelligent post in this entire thread. Congrats.
ive had two ipods. ipod classic (5.5g) and ipod touch. Never had a problem (that i hadnt caused by modding.) with either hardware wise, any software problems are always cleaned up with a restore.

if anything QC has improved through time (the 3rd and 4th gens were notorious for problems, thats where ipods get there bad rep) but if you want to enjoy life in 2008 then u can realize that things change. the 6th gen has almost no problems throughout the lineup. and if there is one, apple store is the easiest way to get help.

look for the new generation (7) coming out in septemeber, most likely the entire lineup will get at least cosmetic changes
Quote by kaosfire

i think you should get the player you enjoy using the most. Try them out and see how easy ipods are, and if u dont like then, well then u have a legitamite reason instead of sounding like the 13 year old "i wanna be different"

Seriously, did you even read my explanation of why I don't like iPods? That's a bloody tiny part of it. I hate how they work.

Quote by koslack
Do not get an Ipod, their quality control is awful. You WILL have to send it back for repairs within a year.
I highly recommend the Sandisc line. Aside from when I got broken into and it was stolen, I never had problems with it.

I'll have a look, cheers.

Anyone here heard of the Cowon iAudio X5L? Been researching a bit (last time I did was when the Vision: M was still out) and they seem pretty good.
what other products are u looking for your music player to hook up to???
Quote by koslack

o rly?

i've been an ipod user since the ipod mini's first came out and i've never had a problem with mine.

i've had an 4gig ipod mini, 2 30 gig ipod videos (one of them got stolen so i had to buy another), 1 80 gig ipod classic, and now i got the 32 gig ipod touch and i'm in love with it.

btw i still have all of my ipods in fully functional condition after all of these years of use, droppage, and abuse at my hands, in fact, i've given my other ipods to family members so they can use them now that i have my ipod touch.

if you want the most for your money get an 80 gig ipod classic, you'll never have to buy another mp3 player again. or if you're seriously hell bent on screwing apple, go for a Zune, they're the next best thing i think.

EDIT: upon reading the rest of this, i see you're hell bent on going for other less known companies, which then i cannot help you, but keep my advice in mind just in case you change your mind.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Last edited by Waterboy799 at Aug 23, 2008,
Much amusement is had at looking at all the replies that said "iPod" despite TS making it abundantly clear he doesn't want one.

I have to recommend the Zen Vision M 60, I have the 30 version, and Creative customer service is brilliant.
^ They've got rid of the 60gb ones too

I could, alternatively, get an iPod Classic and get engraved, for free, on the back of it the words 'Remember: I am the enemy.' And they're like ****ing £150.

But that's not going to help much, is it?
Quote by DigUpHerBones
Seriously, did you even read my explanation of why I don't like iPods? That's a bloody tiny part of it. I hate how they work.

I'll have a look, cheers.

Anyone here heard of the Cowon iAudio X5L? Been researching a bit (last time I did was when the Vision: M was still out) and they seem pretty good.

YES, Cowon ones are excellent, and have a proper equalizer system. The only drawback is their tiny screen - useless for videos and the suchlike.

I have an XL5 and I use that and the Creative interchangeably because I have a buttload of music. The XL5 actually has better sound quality than the vision M

EDIT:

Have you tried looking here?

I've found this which seems to occupy your criteria.
Last edited by LordBishek at Aug 23, 2008,