I just returned from Guitar Center, & I was gonna buy the Line 6 Spider III amp head, but was a bit disappointed by it. I was wondering if anyone knew a good head for playing anything good from metal to just mellow tunes. I had a gt1200h Crate head with a Crate G412 cab. So I'll be playing it through the G412 cab.

Oh yeah, can(forexample) a 120watt cab play with like a 150watt head? Just wondering, since I'm an amp noob.

Thanks for any help! :]
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
How 'bout a nice combo instead of some P.O.S cheap solid-state stacks?

Well, I want it to play some shows.
Quote by AestheticSelkie
Well, I want it to play some shows.

You don't need a stack to play shows.

I have a 40 watt combo that I gig with. It works fine.

I've gigged with a 15 watter as well.

There's really no point in a stack. You'll never use it's full potential. A cranked 100 watter is LOUD. Too loud for many applications.

Combos are portable too.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
You don't need a stack to play shows.

I have a 40 watt combo that I gig with. It works fine.

I've gigged with a 15 watter as well.

There's really no point in a stack. You'll never use it's full potential. A cranked 100 watter is LOUD. Too loud for many applications.

Combos are portable too.

So you don't know any decent solidstate heads? I have the cab, so I might as well get a head. I can go for a combo another time.
any (head+cab) under $1500 (new) either 1) sounds like **** or 2) is poorly built and uses cheap parts or 3) both.

I don't play huge stadium gigs, and I will be lucky if a sound man at a club will ever let me turn my 30 watt amp past 5.

There are decent solid state heads, just not for cheap.
Quote by AestheticSelkie
So you don't know any decent solidstate heads? I have the cab, so I might as well get a head. I can go for a combo another time.

You don't need to buy solid state heads. There are good ones though. Randall makes great ones. You can get somewhat decent tube ones for the same price.

Check out the Crate Palomino series heads, the Peavey Valveking, the Bugera amps etc...

You can hook up a lot of combos to cabinets too.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
You don't need to buy solid state heads. There are good ones though. Randall makes great ones. You can get somewhat decent tube ones for the same price.

Check out the Crate Palomino series heads, the Peavey Valveking, the Bugera amps etc...

You can hook up a lot of combos to cabinets too.

I guess I'm not going to be getting any quality for 400 bucks. So I can get a tube amp and play it on my cab? Cuz that would be cool. I'm not going to be playing anything big, its going to be like my first gig. So I'm just beginning.
I played my first "gig" (7th grade, middle school gynmasium lol) with a 15 watt solid state Fender frontman that came with my Squier strat pack, lmao. I rocked out hard with that **** too. Second gig, same amp, but with a DOD grunge pedal in front of it. I probably caused some ear drum explosions with that one...
Quote by al112987
I played my first "gig" (7th grade, middle school gynmasium lol) with a 15 watt solid state Fender frontman that came with my Squier strat pack, lmao. I rocked out hard with that **** too. Second gig, same amp, but with a DOD grunge pedal in front of it. I probably caused some ear drum explosions with that one...

hahaha. is lower watts more volume or what? I never really understood any of that.
Quote by AestheticSelkie
I guess I'm not going to be getting any quality for 400 bucks. So I can get a tube amp and play it on my cab? Cuz that would be cool. I'm not going to be playing anything big, its going to be like my first gig. So I'm just beginning.

Many combo amps have speaker outs.

The Randall RG50TC has speaker outs. As well as the Valveking combos and the like.

Quote by AestheticSelkie
hahaha. is lower watts more volume or what? I never really understood any of that.

Lower watts = less volume.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Many combo amps have speaker outs.

The Randall RG50TC has speaker outs. As well as the Valveking combos and the like.

Lower watts = less volume.

I don't even know what speaker outs are. I'm assuming the RG50TC is a combo? Oh, you know a good site that sells these. I can't find them on musiciansfriend.
Quote by AestheticSelkie
I don't even know what speaker outs are. I'm assuming the RG50TC is a combo? Oh, you know a good site that sells these. I can't find them on musiciansfriend.

How about just going to a guitar store or something? That way you can try out amps instead of blind buying.

Guitar center has a plethora of amps.

They're listed on Musician's Friend FYI.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RG50TC-50W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481197&src=3SOSWXXA
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
How about just going to a guitar store or something? That way you can try out amps instead of blind buying.

Guitar center has a plethora of amps.

They're listed on Musician's Friend FYI.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RG50TC-50W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481197&src=3SOSWXXA

Well, the GC I just went to had pretty much no half stacks to try out. Last question before I leave to another GC. My cab can play 120 watts, what if I play like a 150watt head or like a 100watt head through it, will it work and not get messed up?
depends entirely on the head. different brands have different ways of rating their amps.

if you try to crank a 100 watt Marshall plexi to 10 through a 120 watt cab, say goodbye to those speakers, but supposedly some people here have been able (or at least claimed to have) to crank a 120 watt 5150 into a 120 watt cabinet. I would personally never do it.
Ok, what kind of music do you play? I push my 15 watt tube combo through a 4x12 simply because I like the bigger bass response. I play punk, so I never really play clean, so I can crank the **** out of my amp. If your playing something were don't really need cleans then go for something like the Blackheart Handsome Devil, if you want some cleans, I say look for a 30 watt tube amp, combo or head, used.
Eyes
Quote by woodenbandman
My dear man, I must petition you for photographic evidence, or the described events cannot be verified, and will be written off as fallacy.