Hey guys. I have this friend who is from my band, and he is a drummer and knows **** about guitar. I have a Chinese made Epiphone SG, and he keeps on telling me how bad a MIC Epiphone is, even the fake Korean epi can beat those made in China. He just has the perception that MIK epiphones are surely better than MICs, but I beg to differ. So to all those epiphone users out there, give me your opinion about this, if possible with some proof so I can shut him up. Pardon my poor english..
the fakes are made of processed wood. So they aren't as good as the real thing, regardless of where they are made.

There has been a little drop in quality of the chinese made epiphones, but its not proportionate to the drop in price - as an owner of a 2004 MIK G400, i must say the chinese models are better value for money, despite not being quite as well made. The 1990s and earlier MIKs, however, are a lot better than more recent epiphones, imo.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by Blompcube
the fakes are made of processed wood. So they aren't as good as the real thing, regardless of where they are made.

There has been a little drop in quality of the chinese made epiphones, but its not proportionate to the drop in price - as an owner of a 2004 MIK G400, i must say the chinese models are better value for money, despite not being quite as well made. The 1990s and earlier MIKs, however, are a lot better than more recent epiphones, imo.

2004 MIK G400? I thought Korea has stopped its production in the year 2003.
Quote by skyjuice88
2004 MIK G400? I thought Korea has stopped its production in the year 2003.

The Samick plant stopped making them in 2004. Mine is from the Unsung plant.

http://www.guitardaterproject.org/epiphone.aspx gives me this info about mine:

Your guitar was made at the
Unsung Plant, Korea
September 2004
Production Number: 0882
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp