Hi everyone, I am finally about to get a new amp, and I need to make this purchase perfect

Okay, so my budget is about $1000. I play metal. Some of my favorite bands are Metallica, Iron Maiden, and Megadeth, but I also like stuff like Bodom, Nile, Immortal, Carcass, so high gain stuff in general. I need some amp recommendations, I will probably buy used of craigslist or something, since I hear that its much smarter to do this.

What models should I be looking for?

Also, Should i go Head + Cab or get a combo?

Thanks in advance

Edit: by the way, full rig suggestions ither than guitar are also good, such as pedals etc.

EDITEDIT: I also have an epiphone with stock epi pickups. Will this wreck the tone of any amp I get or are they acceptable?
Last edited by blakkin at Aug 23, 2008,
A Randall MTS series with the right modules should do the job. I think the two-channel model is under $1k.
Quote by qotsa1998
A Randall MTS series with the right modules should do the job. I think the two-channel model is under $1k.

+1
if they release a few more modules then this amp could be the answer to every thread like this.
randall, i want a dumble module.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
well if you want if want to be able to easily transport your amp then go for a combo, but it could care less then get a head and cab. Look into a Peavey 5150, they dont have the best cleans but have great distortion. and If you want a cab go for a 2x12, they are gonna cost you less then a 4x12. Look at Vader, they go great with metal amps.
Gear:
  • Orange TH30
  • Framus Cobra 4x12
  • Gibson Les Paul Studio
  • Gibson Explorer
  • Taylor 214CE-G
Thanks everybody so far, ive been hearing about these 5150s but somethimg about their combos being bad or something as well. I dont quite know what all this randall module talk is about, can someone elaborate?

thanks
Quote by Maggot3000
well if you want if want to be able to easily transport your amp then go for a combo, but it could care less then get a head and cab. Look into a Peavey 5150, they dont have the best cleans but have great distortion. and If you want a cab go for a 2x12, they are gonna cost you less then a 4x12. Look at Vader, they go great with metal amps.

If I were to get a Peavey 5150 Head and Cab, would it be nicer than a combo?

And is the Peavey the best amp in this price range for metal or is there better? I wont be getting a new amp for a LONG time.
No, I do not gig, and highly doubt I will in the near future, although I suppose it could happen.

Highwaytohell, out of those three choices, which would you recommend?
Quote by Highwaytohell
Used Mesa DC-5
Used Peavey XXX
ENGL Screamer or Thunder Combo.

/Thread

A Used Mark III would be just as viable.

But since you don't gig, I say

This

http://www.music123.com/Krank-Rev-Jr--Half-Stack-Guitar-Amp-481613-i1323454.Music123?cm_mmc=$(channel)$-_-Krank-_-Guitar%20Amplifiers%20and%20Effects-_-Krank%20Rev%20Jr.%20Half-Stack%20Guitar%20Amp&source=ZWFRWXX&mr:trackingCode=7C44EEC2-2971-DD11-98CA-001422107090&mr:referralID=NA

And then you could possibly snag a 2x12 or 4x12 later on.