Right, I've never even touched a bass guitar before, so please bear with me. I've had an acoustic for about 6 months, I think I'm getting on well, and was planning in the future to either get an electric or a bass to branch out. By future, I mean in a year's time or so, when I have enough time to save up money.

Recently, my mate said he wanted to possibly start a band, but he didn't know anyone who owned a bass guitar or played bass. That's when I got the idea to get one sooner. I've got a few questions, and if you could answer them I'd be really grateful.

Do I need an amp? Stupid question, but as I said, I've never seen anyone play a bass (aside from gigs) so I'm not too sure.
I get £30 a week, and I'm looking to get the guitar within, say, 5 weeks. Any recommendations? I know that most of the time money=quality, but this is only to prat around with. I'll save up for a much better one later.

Cheers for any help.
Yes you need an amp. And as for the bass, if you want a starter bass you should invest in a squier. They're cheap, and they're made by fender so you can be sure you're getting something that'll be good.
Everything you need is in the FAQ
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
You need an amp. A bass is an electric guitar's lowest four strings, but an octave lower, and it is nearly inaudible without one.

I'm afraid you're not looking at much with that kind of price range.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
Quote by ben_789
Right, I've never even touched a bass guitar before, so please bear with me. I've had an acoustic for about 6 months, I think I'm getting on well, and was planning in the future to either get an electric or a bass to branch out. By future, I mean in a year's time or so, when I have enough time to save up money.

Recently, my mate said he wanted to possibly start a band, but he didn't know anyone who owned a bass guitar or played bass. That's when I got the idea to get one sooner. I've got a few questions, and if you could answer them I'd be really grateful.

Do I need an amp? Stupid question, but as I said, I've never seen anyone play a bass (aside from gigs) so I'm not too sure.
I get £30 a week, and I'm looking to get the guitar within, say, 5 weeks. Any recommendations? I know that most of the time money=quality, but this is only to prat around with. I'll save up for a much better one later.

Cheers for any help.

no you do not need an amp. the sound just happens. nobody knows how or why, but it comes from the ground. and it makes the floor rumble so much it makes a noise.

TWOOOO octaves lower i believe, go for peavey millennium series IMO they are reliable and sound good for the price, similar price to squires but sound much nicer and look shmexy

ampwise, i got a marshall MB30 i would NOT really reccommend it but it is actually decent as a practice amp just not a wonderful sound

EDIT: actually its one octave those guys were right. if you get 30 european thingys a week, and ur saving up for 5 weeks, youre gonna need to get a job, or save for longer. but after the 5 weeks i think you can get the bass itself
BE HAPPY

Quote by ajmasterjaydude
so this kid at my school microwaved brussel sprouts for lunch, and when he was about to eat them one of them exploded on his face and burned him. i like turtles

in a thread about malmsteen^
Last edited by mosh_face at Aug 23, 2008,
Quote by mosh_face
TWOOOO octaves lower i believe, go for peavey millennium series IMO they are reliable and sound good for the price, similar price to squires but sound much nicer and look shmexy

ampwise, i got a marshall MB30 i would NOT really reccommend it but it is actually decent as a practice amp just not a wonderful sound

One octave lower, and you won't find a good amp to play with a band for any less than 600 of whatever currency you're using.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
no you do not need an amp. the sound just happens. nobody knows how or why, but it comes from the ground. and it makes the floor rumble so much it makes a noise.

No need to be sarcastic >_>

Anyway, cheers. The 5 weeks was just a guideline, I can easily save up for longer. I'll take a look at some Squiers. How much should I be paying for an amp, do you reckon?

Oh, and it's not a gig amp. Just one for playing around with/getting used to a bass/ jamming.
Quote by ben_789
How much should I be paying for an amp, do you reckon?

Oh, and it's not a gig amp. Just one for playing around with/getting used to a bass/ jamming.

If you want to be heard over a drummer you'll need at least 200 watts and a cheap one costs roughly 500USD not sure how it is in the U.K. though. and the Squier VM series is relatively cheap (around 280USD). If you want an acceptable rig you should be willing to spend somewhere around 1000USD(bass included).
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
this. V but I may suggest a larger amp. the Acoustic B200 comes to mind.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom