the least expensive i have ever fount is on musician's friend they had some for like 8 dollars (i think the brand was like GHS or something). the least expensive at my local music store was ernie ball super slinky, which are very goog quality, but theyre 21 dollars.

does anyone know of a good brand thats around 10 dollars for a set of 4 strings?
Last edited by cwl at Aug 23, 2008,
I bought some strings for £10 once, and from experience my advice is...

DON'T!!

You will regret it.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
look man...want a cheap or a good sound?
You have to change bass strings like....what...once a year?
Guitar players have to do that every 2-3 months and 1 pack of strings is 6-8 bucks so yeah...
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
rotosound. like 3 more bucks, but you don't have to change strings as much. so, cheaper... in the long run. it's like 2 pairs of Ernie Balls. without that string change.

you win no matter what.

the rotos, you can get in packs of 2 online, 30 bucks, then they last 2x as long as regular strings, probably 3 times what cheap $10 strings cost. that's like 6 string sets. thats 5 dollars a pair. if this confused you, I'm sorry. if you get it though... you see what I mean...
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Kozlic
look man...want a cheap or a good sound?
You have to change bass strings like....what...once a year?
Guitar players have to do that every 2-3 months and 1 pack of strings is 6-8 bucks so yeah...

Someone doesn't do their practice.
Playing every day, I find my strings go dead within a month, and I don't sweat at all.
The prog kid from way down under of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by Nikki197666
Someone doesn't do their practice.
Playing every day, I find my strings go dead within a month, and I don't sweat at all.

then either your playing way to hard with a pick or you have no idea wut your talking about...when you first put on strings they have a very metal string sound...then after playing for along time ...around a month or so the strings stretch enough and lose the metallic sound and you left with only tone. and bass strings dont need to be changed every month...almost every 8ish months...so ya..

but yes buy expensive strings and it will pay off...they are expensive for a reason!!!
Quote by decadencetorn
then either your playing way to hard with a pick or you have no idea wut your talking about

don't be ignorant. if he's playing enough daily for the strings to go dead in a month, then they'll go dead in a month. a difference between guitar and bass strings is that when bass strings go dead, they still hold decent tuning stability and don't run as high a risk of breaking on you. so you can still keep playing them for ages if the tone doesn't bother you.
^^not necessarily helpful.
Quote by the humanity

think pokemon
Pete Wentz sig reaches level 32, it evolves into Mark Hoppus bass.
Mark Hoppus bass uses tone knob!
it's super unneffective!
1) The length of time between string changes is completely subjective. I would personally love to change strings every 3 weeks to a month. However, the money involved isn't feasible for me now.

2) Actually I've found that cheap + DECENT sound and lasting life is possible. I found these Peavey bass strings, not the Cirrus strings, just some other no-name Peavey strings for about $14 and they've lasted for a good few months with very decent tone.
Quote by decadencetorn
then either your playing way to hard with a pick or you have no idea wut your talking about...when you first put on strings they have a very metal string sound...then after playing for along time ...around a month or so the strings stretch enough and lose the metallic sound and you left with only tone. and bass strings dont need to be changed every month...almost every 8ish months...so ya..

but yes buy expensive strings and it will pay off...they are expensive for a reason!!!

Without wanting to turn this into a flame war, as I'm in no way shape or form a hostile person, I just want to point out I am a fairly aggressive player (fingerstyle) but regardless, if you hop over to the TalkBass forums you will find many accounts of bassist's strings going dead within a month. Its a natural occurance. You have to take into account many still like the sound of semi dead/dead strings, but I like super bright tone (Y'know that sound you get when you put on a set of Stainless Steel strings and you rub your fingers over them? That glorious Zing you get?) , and even THAT starts to fade within a week. It's about compromising between tone and life. DR's just happen to do that for me.

And to Jazzy, its always nice to have finds like these! Gems you never really bet on but just turned out to be of nice quality.

Quote by decadencetorn
wut
And by the way, it's not wut, it's what. There's a difference, i swear. There's a reason this picture became an icon in the pit, they rejoice over terrible spelling.
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a12/taylor_158/lolwut.jpg

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
My local store likes to sell overpriced bass strings. However, i saw a set of Warwick string that were really cheap in comparison! A huge difference in price, less than half of the closest competitor. Seems like a trap, but nothing from Warwick has ever failed me, so what's your view on them?

I don't remember if the pack said anything else than Warwick, but it was red with horizontal bass string on it.

EDIT: Found a pic, not sure if it was roundwound, but i just wish to know if the quality is alright.

Fler Ismaskiner!
Last edited by Eklund at Aug 25, 2008,
Stringprices seem to vary from shop to shop where I live, rotos in PMT cost like £18, in Fairdeal, like £25, guess where I get strings from?

rotos are a good idea, as they last longer than any other strings Ive tries, tho yet to test out Elixirs/DR's...
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
well, Warwick strings definitely have their diehard fans not me, I like my rotos, but they are nice strings.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Eklund
My local store likes to sell overpriced bass strings. However, i saw a set of Warwick string that were really cheap in comparison! A huge difference in price, less than half of the closest competitor. Seems like a trap, but nothing from Warwick has ever failed me, so what's your view on them?

I don't remember if the pack said anything else than Warwick, but it was red with horizontal bass string on it.

EDIT: Found a pic, not sure if it was roundwound, but i just wish to know if the quality is alright.

Personally my experiences with those strings haven't been all that good. If you are going to get Warwick strings, get the black label strings, or EMP's, rather than red label.

So, I still get what i pay for, huh. What's the sound like?
Fler Ismaskiner!
Ok, but nothing special. I couldn't quite extract the life I wanted out of it, but it's ok if you have nothing else at all you can get.

Personally I'd go with roto's if not DR's.

D'Adarios are a great combination of decently long lasting and cheap, especially if you aren't looking for steel strings(though their prosteels aren't extremely pricey and last a good while too.

The only problem is that almost all of their strings are some extreme long scale, I have no idea why they wouldn't just make some medium/long scale strings instead of always "super-extra, ultimate long!1!11!!" I don't like having to cut strings when I could just buy some that fit in the first place.
I stick with Rotos for the same reason Humanity does. They last longer that some of the cheaper brands (EB Slinkies for instance) so it ends up being cheaper in the end. I go through a set in about 6 - 8 weeks with daily play.

IF you are on the other side of the pond (i.e. not N. America), Stadium Elites are a good deal. I can't wait to get my set to try them out.
Quote by anarkee
I stick with Rotos for the same reason Humanity does. They last longer that some of the cheaper brands (EB Slinkies for instance) so it ends up being cheaper in the end. I go through a set in about 6 - 8 weeks with daily play.

IF you are on the other side of the pond (i.e. not N. America), Stadium Elites are a good deal. I can't wait to get my set to try them out.

Did you manage to get them shipped to USA? I was gonna get some the other day, but decided I couldn't be bothered, and then the next day I was given a set of Rotos for free , so far I am fairly impressed. They are nickel wound light gauge, but I find they lack the fresh snap of previous strings I've used.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by anarkee

Just ordered myself a set for £12.50
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Just though I'd bump this just to say. I got a standard Gauge of Stadium Elites online for £12.50.

BEST

STRINGS

EVER

If you can get hold of them, they are well worth the money.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I'm going to add my experiences with strings. I can knock a set of nickels out of my taste zone in about 2 weeks of playing.

As such, next time I'm in town, I'm going to get some more Stadium Elites - they're that good.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.