What are the differances? Which is a better amp overall ?

Its just that i am thinking of selling my JVM in the near future and getting a Framus or an Engl or something along those lines...
The Dragon is darker, and less gainy than the Cobra, which is a bright and aggressive, modern sounding amp. That's not to say that the Dragon is not a metal amp, far from it, but you may have to boosting it with a TS type OD, or use an EQ in the loop to get the same modern, insanely tight sounds that the Cobra is capable of.

Both are excellent, and their circuits are identical except for the tone-stacks, which can easily be modified. This means that any channel on one, can be modded to be identical to the same channel on the other. Given that the Dragon is cheaper and less sought-after, it seems like a no-brainer to get the Dragon, and mod channels to Cobra spec if you feel the need.
Quote by Nolly
The Dragon is darker, and less gainy than the Cobra, which is a bright and aggressive, modern sounding amp. That's not to say that the Dragon is not a metal amp, far from it, but you may have to boosting it with a TS type OD, or use an EQ in the loop to get the same modern, insanely tight sounds that the Cobra is capable of.

Both are excellent, and their circuits are identical except for the tone-stacks, which can easily be modified. This means that any channel on one, can be modded to be identical to the same channel on the other. Given that the Dragon is cheaper and less sought-after, it seems like a no-brainer to get the Dragon, and mod channels to Cobra spec if you feel the need.

+1 get the dragon, if you want to the cobra sound have it modded very cheaply
I've heard some say that the Dragon sounds like an improved 5150, and that the Cobra is a brighter and more aggressive version of that.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Quote by rwalby9
I've heard some say that the Dragon sounds like an improved 5150, and that the Cobra is a brighter and more aggressive version of that.

Not sure I agree with the 5150 comparison. I'd describe it as a closer to a boosted older Marshall, but then the term "hot-rodded marshall" seems to be flung around to describe a whole load amps at the moment. The Cobra in comparison is drier and more VHT-like (another brand well worth checking out).
The Framuses have their own thing going on to be honest though. The only way to get a feel for it is to find one to play. Make sure you crank them up a fair bit, and keep the channel volumes high, they're definitely not low-volume creatures. Also, use the Rhythm channel for your rhythm sound, it annoys me to hear people describe the Dragon as loose and flubby after riffing through the lead channel.
Ha. Sounds familiar. I was a JVM410 H owner and I made the switch to the Framus Cobra. I havent played the dragon, but the cobra is an incredible amp. Its suposed to be a hot rodded version of the dragon.
Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM 900
peavey 5150

Mesa 4x12
Quote by Ubershall404
Ha. Sounds familiar. I was a JVM410 H owner and I made the switch to the Framus Cobra. I havent played the dragon, but the cobra is an incredible amp. Its suposed to be a hot rodded version of the dragon.

Would you say it was well worth the upgrade?

Cos when i sell the JVM im still gonna have to save up another £500/600 to buy a cobra/dragon. And having just turned 16 , its not an easy task to accomplish...
I've heard from MANY people that the Cobra's have to be re biased professionaly upon purchase, just something you might want to take into account seeing as you've already got to save heaps. I've also heard that the cobra totally slays with Greenbacks!
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Quote by howey
I've heard from MANY people that the Cobra's have to be re biased professionaly upon purchase, just something you might want to take into account seeing as you've already got to save heaps. I've also heard that the cobra totally slays with Greenbacks!

they set the bias very cold at the factory for tube warranty reasons I think, so out of the box they are running into crossover distortion. Mine was biased at 25mA new, where they sound best at around 32-36mA. There are bias test points and a bias pot on the back however, so all you need is a multimeter. You set the DMM to measure mV, and that will correspond to mA since there is a 1ohm resistor in the circuit. Ideally, you would want to measure plate voltage for the particular amp, but 32-36mA works pretty well as an approximation for EL34.

The Cobra sounds best to me with greenbacks, the matching cab sounds great with it, they matched those speakers for a reason. I tried a couple V30 cabs with it, and it didn't sound nearly as good. I have a friend that uses a VHT FB cab w/P50 with his Cobra and he likes those a lot too.

I would agree with the guys saying get the Dragon, and have it modded to Cobra specs if you want. They are both great sounding amps, but you can get the Dragon's cheaper, and the mod is pretty easy and well documented.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by bass_monkey
Would you say it was well worth the upgrade?

Cos when i sell the JVM im still gonna have to save up another £500/600 to buy a cobra/dragon. And having just turned 16 , its not an easy task to accomplish...

Wow your 16 are your plays this level of an amp? I would focus more on your playing and technique to become a better player. Not saying that your arent one now, but the amps is only as good as the guitarist playing through it.

For the record. I will say its was on some fronts. I like the lead gain much more on the cobra. Its punchier, has super fast pick attack and the coolest most modern voicing I have ever heard. The clean was better on the JVM though.
Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM 900
peavey 5150

Mesa 4x12