so honestly high school was a relatively hard time for me... I had a lot of anxiety disorders including clinical depression, and honestly over the past 6-9 months I've noticed the fact that I have had them well under my control for the first time in a long time. But now I am going off to school, in about a week and a half, and I have actually been pretty happy. I have a girlfriend, I am pretty happy with my group of friends, and well I have actually been enjoying my self. But now as I am heading off to a school that I know no one at, I have been really almost depressed. it is like for the first time in a long time I am happy, and now it is all going to change and I do not know the best way to deal with it. I would like to talk to my friends about it but most of my friends are either too dumb to comprehend what I am saying, or they would just make jokes because they themselves are uncomfortable about the topic.

So if that was too long in short, did any of you guys who went off to school already have anxiety about it, and what did you find the best way to deal with it was?

thanks
Quote by frying nemo08
I would like to talk to my friends about it but most of my friends are either too dumb to comprehend what I am saying, or they would just make jokes because they themselves are uncomfortable about the topic

And you think the Pit will be any different?

What you really need to realize though is that you'll be surrounded by thousands of people in the same situation as you. All of them wanna make friends too. So get a Facebook and you'll amass a group of friends in no time. Seriously, that's what happens in college. You'll be all set if you just realize it's a good thing.
I just moved in my dorm, from Hawaii clear across the country. My advice: don't be a bitch and suck it up.
Quote by Kensai
I know a good joke:

Women's rights.
Quote by Chubbychunks
I know a good joke:

Kensai's life.
Quote by Dimebag Dave
I just moved in my dorm, from Hawaii clear across the country. My advice: don't be a bitch and suck it up.

With all do respect, but one does not simply "suck it up" when it comes to clinical depression. I'm in almost exact the same situation as the TS. I feel kind of better now, but I don't know what to expect for the next weeks.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Just try to fit in with people who are in the same situation as you are. Everyone is lonely and in a hostile environment mixed with tons of people they don't know.

Make that an oppurtunity to meet new people.
Its only natural for you to feel uncomfortable leaving home because change is uncomfortable - but yet it is also good. Have a great time at college!
Quote by frying nemo08
I would like to talk to my friends about it but most of my friends are either too dumb to comprehend what I am saying

Wow, you sound like a really great friend
Since you're obviously so smart figure it out yourself.

You'll be alone a lot so you'll have plenty of time to figure it out.
Don't let other people be the deciding factor of whether or not you are happy. I think that if you can learn to enjoy life by yourself, you will feel a lot better, and then your social life will improve greatly especially with new people in college.
I want to work in revelations, not just spin silly tales for money.I want to fish as deep down as possible into my own subconscious in the belief that once that far down, everyone will understand because they are the same that far down.
Quote by GiantRaven

Sorry to come off like an asshole and an elitist fuck, but I don't discuss my anxiety problems with some of my friends as well simply because they wouldn't understand. Clinical depression is related to intelligence. Until I had problems I never understood the saying "ignorance is bliss". Believe me, the less you think and the less you know, the happier you are.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by GiantRaven

yeah well here is the thing, everyone does have friends who either are more immature or dumber than they are, and i do conceder myself to be smarter than a lot of them and defiantly more mature than pretty much all of them. So sorry I guess, you know I didn't think that trying to simplify down that statement would lead to someone being an ass...
Guarantee the best year of your life coming up.

High school blowed chunks.
College was amazing.
▼▲
Quote by shdowfox17
awesome avatar,denn0069!
Quote by Valo
The most truth I've heard in the pit.
ever.
▼▲
Quote by GiantRaven

If I tried to explain to certain friends what I felt in highschool, they would've called me a pussy.
Last edited by metaldud536 at Aug 23, 2008,
Well, I'm in the same situation as you. And it's not the coolest thing that's happened to me in my life. I'm away from the people I love and care about, and I dislike that.

The thing I keep telling myself something my dad's told me. It's something this Sergeant in the marines told him in bootcamp. The guy said "you're not being asked to do anything someone else hasn't been asked to do before." In short, he meant that there have been people who have done this before, felt the exact same way as you, and they made it through...so can you.

Don't get to depressed, trust yourself that it will all be okay.
Quote by Sonicxlover
I once told a Metallica fan I liked Megadeth, and he stabbed me 42 times.
Ahhh, I have severe anxiety and I'm moving into my dorm tomorrow. It's human nature to be nervous.. but having anxiety really sucks. I'd give you advice TS, but really I'm in the same boat as you.. I'm scared .. lol uhhh But I dunno, there'll be good times and bad, as always, but just try to relax and go with the flow? That's all I'm going to try to do. Good luck
Everyone who is there will be in more or less the same situation as you, not knowing anyone and generally probably not feeling settled for the first few weeks, but you'll get into the swing of things in no time. Just approach this situation with an open mind and you'll surround yourself with loads of people who can help you.
Quote by Green_Jelly
Sorry to come off like an asshole and an elitist fuck, but I don't discuss my anxiety problems with some of my friends as well simply because they wouldn't understand. Clinical depression is related to intelligence. Until I had problems I never understood the saying "ignorance is bliss". Believe me, the less you think and the less you know, the happier you are.

That's a fairly good point. Even if people are told about it, they're usually too ignorant to the idea and put it down to other things, or become generally misinformed somehow. Gah.

TS, just try to speak to your friends when you can. When I started college 2 years ago I wasn't in lessons with many people I knew, but I soon found nice people.

I'm doing the same with University, I start in 2 weeks. Nobody I know lives in Blackpool. Doesn't mean I'll deal with it very well, but at least you're not alone?
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
That's a fairly good point. Even if people are told about it, they're usually too ignorant to the idea and put it down to other things, or become generally misinformed somehow. Gah.

TS, just try to speak to your friends when you can. When I started college 2 years ago I wasn't in lessons with many people I knew, but I soon found nice people.

I'm doing the same with University, I start in 2 weeks. Nobody I know lives in Blackpool. Doesn't mean I'll deal with it very well, but at least you're not alone?

did you skip a grade or why are you already in college for 2 years?

anyway, TS, i just said goodbye to all of my friends today because I'm moving to berlin to do an animation internship that is required by the university i want to go to. so I'm going to a huge city where I don't know anyone, and am going to be in an office void of anyone my age, so I'm rather down at the moment, too.
I'm sure eventually it'll all work out fine, but it just sucks to have everything change so quickly. but i guess it's something everyone has to go through.
Quote by CoreysMonster
did you skip a grade or why are you already in college for 2 years?

School years are as follows:

Primary School
Infant School = 4-7
Junior School = 7-11

Secondary School (High School) = 11-16

Further Education
College = 16-18 usually, but older can apply
University = 18+
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
I'm in the same situation mostly every single year... You think its going to be terrible but you get there and it starts it get better after a little while. just make more friends, and keep the old ones... or blow them off
deal and dont act like a whiney bitch.
Quote by armon77
im american but i think canada would win. they would probably lay low until everyone took each other out and then finish the last one standing off in one fell swoop. sneaky bastards.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
School years are as follows:

Primary School
Infant School = 4-7
Junior School = 7-11

Secondary School (High School) = 11-16

Further Education
College = 16-18 usually, but older can apply
University = 18+

aaaah! makes sense
Quote by frying nemo08
so honestly high school was a relatively hard time for me... I had a lot of anxiety disorders including clinical depression, and honestly over the past 6-9 months I've noticed the fact that I have had them well under my control for the first time in a long time. But now I am going off to school, in about a week and a half, and I have actually been pretty happy. I have a girlfriend, I am pretty happy with my group of friends, and well I have actually been enjoying my self. But now as I am heading off to a school that I know no one at, I have been really almost depressed. it is like for the first time in a long time I am happy, and now it is all going to change and I do not know the best way to deal with it. I would like to talk to my friends about it but most of my friends are either too dumb to comprehend what I am saying, or they would just make jokes because they themselves are uncomfortable about the topic.

So if that was too long in short, did any of you guys who went off to school already have anxiety about it, and what did you find the best way to deal with it was?

thanks

1. Eat in the cafeteria EVERY DAY
2. Sit with a different group of people EVERY DAY
3. Introduce yourself to these people you don't know

This should yield at least a few new friends
Put on some pants, its time to dance! -The Happy Phrase

Quote by Alice Cooper
The hippies wanted peace and love. We wanted Ferraris, blondes and switchblades.

Quote by RhyseOrtiz
Banned because... Disaster, you good sir, are a f*cking genius!