Hey
My guitar teacher told me I could make a slide by breaking a beer bottle's neck off. I promptly googled it, and found out I needed a hacksaw or a glasscutter. I have neither of these, but I don't really want to get glass shards everywhere or in my face.
Any help guys?
im not too sure, but theres got to be a way, because thats how slides were first invented y blues players who would somehow cut the necks off of beer bottles. im assuming they didnt have many tools to do it. so idk!
www.myspace.com/getwellcards

"et quand le jour arrive la tourner el ciel et la tourner la mer et la mer eh ven embrasse moi et la deneh ve moi logis"
Well you could just smash it off and play through the pain, but all that blood wouldn't be good for the strings! It doesn't seem like a very safe thing to do without a proper way to cut it and round off the edges so they aren't sharp.

You'll know somebody who has a hacksaw, so borrow theirs, and then make sure to sand down the edges you cut, or they'll cut you. I'm not sure if sandpaper would work, but a metal file probably would.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Quote by gabcd86
Hey
I don't really want to get glass shards in my face.
Any help guys?

A much better post. Confusing, and amusing.

Honestly, it would just be better to buy a proper slide Its only around £5
I once tried the method where you tie around some hemp string where you want to cut it off
douse the string in lighter fluid
set it on fire and wait for it to run out
then throw the bottle into ice cold water

the difference in temperature cracks it and you can round if off a bit just by grinding it against a concrete floor

didn't really work too well
maybe if you go through a whole crate of beer bottles you'll eventually get a good one :-/
Quote by seljer
I once tried the method where you tie around some hemp string where you want to cut it off
douse the string in lighter fluid
set it on fire and wait for it to run out
then throw the bottle into ice cold water

the difference in temperature cracks it and you can round if off a bit just by grinding it against a concrete floor

didn't really work too well
maybe if you go through a whole crate of beer bottles you'll eventually get a good one :-/

i wanna make one too. Seljer, you ready to drink!?!
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
PM forsakenazreal. He sells (used to sell?) hand made bottleneck slides, so he would know.

This.
I'm looking to buy an Epi Valve Standard. If you've got one up for grabs in the Uk, PM me and let me know.
Heat up the bottle neck then score it with a utility knife, put on some safety glasses and smash it!!!
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
heat it up, score it with a utility knife, and then i wouldnt "smash" it like the above poster said, i would tap it firmly but not to hard. then repeat the process over and over again.
and yeah, im sure someone has a hacksaw. do yo know what a hacksaw is?
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by iRockMetal

There is no such thing as a "proper slide", slide guitar n00b.

How the hell do you think people did it back in the day? Mississippi Fred McDowell learned to play slide with a rib bone.
Just go out and buy a hacksaw or glass cutter. I made a little jig to hold the cutter in place while I rotated the bottle around because getting a straight line is way too difficult on the curved surface. Then I wrapped the wine bottle in a rag and tapped it on the pavement for a fairly smooth break. I smoothed down the edges of my slides with sandpaper btw
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
You can pick up a Glass Scorer for like 3 bucks at a hardware store. All you gotta do is score a line around where you want the break to be. When you get this done, just gently tap the bottle until it breaks around the score.

And you can't sand glass, it doesn't work. You have to wet-grind it to get a smooth. I did some glass inlays in a guitar once and found out the hard way to work glass lol. You should be able to take a Dremel tool with a grinder head and do it pretty easily
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by iRockMetal

I think that would belong in the Pit, or maybe even /b :P But it would be awesome. Aren't bottle ones better though?
And I'll try and borrow a saw from a neighbour or something.
Thanks guys
Quote by gabcd86
I think that would belong in the Pit, or maybe even /b :P But it would be awesome. Aren't bottle ones better though?
And I'll try and borrow a saw from a neighbour or something.
Thanks guys

I actually prefer slides cut from a pipe. As in copper or steel pipe.
You can repeatedly score the neck of the bottle by using a file. You don't have to file all the way through, but make a nice deep gouge in the glass with repeated filing. After you've filed a ring entirely around the bottle, you can give it a tap to try to break it off cleanly. then file/sand down the sharp edges.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
This got me interested in trying this myself. like I said I've worked with glass, but not bottles. I tried using Budweiser bottles, but they're really hard to break the neck off without busting the whole thing into pieces. Out of 5 bottles, I only got 1 usable slide but it's a little short. The glass is just too thin to do this very well

I found 6 wine bottles, and they all worked great. All of the glass was at least 1/4" thick. Try to find something like that, I had the best results with a blue wine bottle. Not sure what kind, but it was blue lol
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by iRockMetal

A self made beer neck
is WAY cooler than some white plastic thingy
At one time there was a small aspirin bottle or something of the sort with straight walls that made a really good slide. But the string and something flamable works to I learned it in the military. And a dremel tool with a cutoff wheel would work. You can buy a pack of hacksaw blades for 2 or 3 bucks.