hey im looking into getting into getting into some classical music. i was wondering where you think i should start and what are your personal favorites. thank you in advance for all of your help
Orchestral, or what?
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
you should listen the the great famous ones like mozart, beethoven, bach, vivaldi, stravinskij... tjarkovskij... or whatever those dudes names are :P

I dont listen to much myself but I think most works from them all are great and If I recall it right I liked beethoven most because of his use of dynamics
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
Jesu joy of a mans desiring is a great one to start off with.
One of my favs- and if you can sight read you could probably pull it off first go.

If you are a shredder- go for Paganini's 24 Caprices (its a Rondo so its the same theme just changed.. 24 times)

Personally Tchaikovsky is my Fav- and "dance of the sugar plum fairy" is quite memorable and fun to play.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
Vivaldi, Corelli, Bach, Scarlatti, etc.

because the Baroque era > any other time in human history.

Get some string concertos.

because the Violin family > any other orchestral family.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Well my fav classical song is Primavera by Ludovico Einaudi. Purely because its such a deep emotional peice you can really feel how the music flows. If you don't enjoy that sort Flight Of the Bumble Bee thats always a good one =D
Hmm...orchestral works.

Try Beethoven's 5th Piano concerto, or any of his symphonies (especially 3, 5, 6, and 9).

Also..Sibelius' violin concerto

Mendelssohn's violin concerto in E minor

Elgar's cello concerto

Any Mahler symphony

Holst's "The Planets"

Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring"

Bach's St. Matthew's Passion

Those are a few of my favorite pieces that would be considered big orchestral pieces. If you want smaller ones then ask

EDIT* BTW Rabid Corelli and Scarlatti and people like that don't really have that many bigger things...Corelli is mainly known for his violin sonatas. Of course Vivaldi has a bumload of concerto's but a lot of them sound very similar...Bach is where you want to go for larger baroque pieces.
Last edited by Shackman10 at Aug 23, 2008,
Go for Beethoven's Seventh Symphony. In my mind, it's greatly underplayed, and my favourite of his works. Brahms' Hungarian Dances are beautiful. Finlandia by Sibelius.

Anything Bach, particularly his keyboard music. I recommend The Goldberg Variations and The Art of Fugue; see if you can find Glenn Gould playing them. His Passacaglia and Fugue is one of his best. His violin and cello suites are also worth looking into.

The Rite of Spring and The Firebird by Stravinsky are both worth looking into. Ravel and Prokofiev, as well; you can't go wrong with them. Elgar's Enigma Variations and Wand of Youth Suites are also lovely.

That should start you off on the right foot.

Oh, and anything Mozart.
"My idea is that there is music in the air, music all around us; the world is full of it, and you simply take as much as you require." - Edward Elgar