A guitar made out of sheet wood? Unless you are planning to compress it into a solidbody shape, you would be pretty unsuccessful.
Nope, not a good wood. Pine is a horrible tone wood, and by sheet what do you mean exactly? Plus mahogany, ash, maple, alder are all cheap enough woods to build a guitar out of so why not search your local wood suppliers for some of that.
Quote by Bass-man43
Nope, not a good wood. Pine is a horrible tone wood, and by sheet what do you mean exactly? Plus mahogany, ash, maple, alder are all cheap enough woods to build a guitar out of so why not search your local wood suppliers for some of that.

Pine is not a horrible tone wood. It really annoys me when people say it. Have you played any pine guitars? If so how many? Pine is used by many luthiers and the orginal teles were pine...

TS: Pine is really resonant and light weight. It isn't as durable as as standard hardwoods but if you don't mind getting a few dents in it if you drop it then go for it.
Quote by necroscience13
my grandfather has a big sheet (meaning piece) of this and he would probably let me use it for making a guitar. is it a good wood? is there anything i should know?

That'll be awesome, specially if it's old and fully-dried! Make an Esquire, the original/prototypes for this Telecaster precursor were made of Pine.

http://www.herculesstands.com/Images/guitar/GS412BMain.jpg

Check out TDPRI, the biggest Tele Forum in the planet. The pros, collectors, and luthiers there are nuts about the Pinecaster.

Squier recently offered a Pinecaster in the Classic Vibe series. Good Luck!

Spring for poplar or alder if you can, it sounds better and is denser.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Yeah people **** talk tonewoods like they know. Honestly, I have a hard time believing somebody on this forum could tell me the difference between a poplar guitar and a mahogany guitar if they had the same exact pickups in it. The amount of actual tone change is mostly in your head.

It's arguable, but I think eventually I'll put 2 sound clips up. One mahogany and one poplar with the same exact pickups.
you could make a guitar out of pine, but pine is used more commonly as flooring and shelving. One thing I never understood is why they would make floors out of a wood that dents at the slightest amount of pressure, but it does look really good. It would probably make a really nice guitar. Throw some good pups on it, certain active pickups completely eliminate whatever tone is in the wood so even if it's pine plywood it could still sound good. just gotta be careful cause pine dents like a mother****er.
i think you could totally rock the pine, but maybe slam a maple cap on it, just to save the physical integrity of the wood itself, and maybe add a little more to the visual aspect of the guitar, whilst still benefitting the sonic aspects of the guitar?
------

Shwiggity.
You know what pine is famous for? Making sweet-sounding open back cabs. It has a smooth mellow tone somewhat similar to cedar or spruce, which are very common acoustic tops. It will dent however, so put a hard finish on it.