I love how my CIJ Fender strat sounds and usually don't have problems. But I've taken it to practice a few times over the years and in a room with two amps loud enough to match the drummer, it risks squealing uncontrollably unless I set the gain to almost clean.

Personally I don't mind low gain, but the others want me to use at least medium gain so the Strat gets left at home. Strangely I've used a cheap Squier strat in that room with high gain settings with the other guitarist and it never squeals like my Fender.

Any fixes without asking me to change the pickups?
Quote by lefthandman9876
noise gate?

That seems more like a temporary solution. I meant is there anything I can do to the guitar or existing pickups?
It's probably feedback. Does it stop if you mute the strings? If it doesn't then try shielding your guitar or checking the grounding (like the guy above me said)
shielding probably? take out the pickguard and put some shielding tape in the cavity.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
either put shielding in the cavity of the pickups and controls or ditch your current pickups and put in Lace sensors
Quote by BrickIsRed
Actually, do you think someone at a music store could carry out those modifications for me? I don't trust my soldering skills and can't understand circuit diagrams too well.

well, since everyone else is giving you mindless answers, TS, although i already gave you what i believe is to be the correct answer, i'll tell ya more.

These aren't very hard modifications. use search bar- "ultimate soldering thread" or something. there is one floating around that is full of information. if you have an old VCR, or anything like that, even a few pot shells or something, learn to solder. It's not too hard of a technique, and it's fairly cheap.

beore you go to a shop, see if anyone in your family, or close friends can solder, and correctly. there are many wrong ways to solder also.

but a shop might possibly be able to do this for you, but charge you an arm and leg for it, i wouldn't be surprised. also check out some noiseless pickups. you'll have to check your local shops, see if they shield, and how much.

but i'd check around and see if you can find anyone that can solder first.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
Quote by THE Saint Jimmy
well, since everyone else is giving you mindless answers, TS, although i already gave you what i believe is to be the correct answer, i'll tell ya more.

These aren't very hard modifications. use search bar- "ultimate soldering thread" or something. there is one floating around that is full of information. if you have an old VCR, or anything like that, even a few pot shells or something, learn to solder. It's not too hard of a technique, and it's fairly cheap.

beore you go to a shop, see if anyone in your family, or close friends can solder, and correctly. there are many wrong ways to solder also.

but a shop might possibly be able to do this for you, but charge you an arm and leg for it, i wouldn't be surprised. also check out some noiseless pickups. you'll have to check your local shops, see if they shield, and how much.

but i'd check around and see if you can find anyone that can solder first.

I think I'll try shielding, and failing that, noiseless pickups. Thanks.
remember shielding has to be connected to ground or it's useless.

here's what i did.

superglue at least one layer of aluminum foil to the back of your pickguard (obviously with all pieces off) shiny side facing you, when in playing position. so shiny side up. then mount everything back on it, your pot shells should be grounded, especially if there is solder on the back of them, so once they are back on the pickguard, that aluminum foil is grounded. no soldering involved there. see if it makes even a little bit of difference. I'm assuming you have a ground wire to your bridge already, so it attenuates buzz a little.

also...feedback and squeal doesn't happen just because of an unshielded guitar.

what amp are you playing through? is it properly grounded? Are the outlets in your house properly grounded? Is your amp in good shape? Did anyone recently work on your guitar/amp. Did anyone ever work on your guitar/amp, including you?

there are so many damn factors. haa.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
Okay, I'll have to get my hands on some aluminum foil and superglue. I'll check back in a day or two. Or look out for a "I destroyed my strat with superglue" thread.