For my class in school, on modern rock, I have decided to do it on my favorite genre of music... of course it is grunge! I have Nirvana (of course), Soundgarden, AIC, Pearl Jam, Bush etc. The majority of grunge bands aren't around anymore, or are fairly old, and was wondering if you guys could help me out by listing some grunge bands that aren't in the mainstream yet. 99% of my google searches (tried so many different phrases) turned up Nirvana. So please, although Nirvana is great, don't mention them in this thread.
you could do the foo fighters....even though they are mainstream and more post-grunge, they are the closest thing to grunge around.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Try covering some Neil Young songs, I mean, he's obviously not a girl but he's got more than enough estrogen to sound like one.
Quote by tona_107
ya foos are prob the closest you're gonna get.

Grunge, by definition, is from Seattle. Grohl is from DC.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Yeah, I thought so, but just wanted to make sure. How about any strong political bands with the same type music as Dead Kennedy's, and Anti-Flag. Any help on this would be just as much appreciated.
All of those bands are like the second wave of grunge. They are more mainstream. Dig deeper!
Quote by ottoavist

i suppose there's a chance
i'm just a litte too shallow to consider
that maybe i've been a little more eager
each day to wake up and take a shower
brush my teeth and smile for the mirror
Quote by Chemical Zero
Yeah, I thought so, but just wanted to make sure. How about any strong political bands with the same type music as Dead Kennedy's, and Anti-Flag. Any help on this would be just as much appreciated.

Reagan Youth
Subhumans
Stiff Little Fingers
Bands worth mentioning:

Mudhoney
Afghan Whigs
Stone Temple Pilots
Temple Of The Dog
Mad Season
Screaming Trees
Blind Melon
Jerry Cantrell
Hole

And yea, grunge is dead. And make sure you mention the Melvins for basically defining the Grunge sound.
coming to terms with an inevitable death.
Quote by neidnarb11890
Reagan Youth
Subhumans
Stiff Little Fingers

Hardcore/punk.

Not grunge.
Quote by Aveks
Hardcore/punk.

Not grunge.

No ****, I was answering this:
How about any strong political bands with the same type music as Dead Kennedy's, and Anti-Flag.
Green River: The original grunge band. Featuring future members of pearl jam, mother love bone, mudhoney.
Mother Love Bone: Legendary band. Future members of pearl jam and soundgarden. Singer Andrew Wood's death was the reason Temple of the Dog formed.
Temple of the Dog: Led to the formation of pearl jam. Read up on how eddie veddar got his part on the album.
As for new bands, the closest thing ive heard is Downface. If you have heard the acoustic song, "Alone", labled as AIC and Pearl Jam, or Tool and Creed, that is Downface. They came around at the end of the nineties, with their debut released in '98. They've only put out on album sine then (that i know of, at least)
I think Neil Diamond is noteworthy because people seem to see him as a forefather of grunge by originating the grunge sound to an extent.

EDIT:well i just realized most of what i wrote hd nothing to do with what you were asking, but whatever. But definately check out downface. Your best bet is Black Market Radio. The band features Peter Cornell on vocals, who happens to sound a lot like his brother, Chris Cornell. They are relatively new. I don't think they were on the music scene until the second half of the 2000's, but they still have that grunge sound working. They are very unknown, but it's nice because the production sounds like it came from the 90's.
Nerdo-sez-bo wrote:

Bon Jovi can just **** off really.

Life is one big question when your starin at the clock
And the answers always waiting at the liquor store, 40 oz to Freedom
Last edited by LynchMobster at Aug 23, 2008,
Quote by LynchMobster
Green River: The original grunge band. Featuring future members of pearl jam, mother love bone, mudhoney.
Mother Love Bone: Legendary band. Future members of pearl jam and soundgarden. Singer Andrew Wood's death was the reason Temple of the Dog formed.
Temple of the Dog: Led to the formation of pearl jam. Read up on how eddie veddar got his part on the album.
As for new bands, the closest thing ive heard is Downface. If you have heard the acoustic song, "Alone", labled as AIC and Pearl Jam, or Tool and Creed, that is Downface. They came around at the end of the nineties, with their debut released in '98. They've only put out on album sine then (that i know of, at least)
I think Neil Diamond is noteworthy because people seem to see him as a forefather of grunge by originating the grunge sound to an extent.

EDIT:well i just realized most of what i wrote hd nothing to do with what you were asking, but whatever. But definately check out downface. Your best bet is Black Market Radio. The band features Peter Cornell on vocals, who happens to sound a lot like his brother, Chris Cornell. They are relatively new. I don't think they were on the music scene until the second half of the 2000's, but they still have that grunge sound working. They are very unknown, but it's nice because the production sounds like it came from the 90's.

I think he must mean Neil Young. I've heard him referred to as the "godfather of grunge." Neil Diamond is at the complete opposite end of the pop music spectrum.
Quote by gwitersnamps
Grunge, by definition, is from Seattle. Grohl is from DC.

wow
Quote by neidnarb11890
No ****, I was answering this:

Think about the context:

We are in a grunge thread, talking about grunge, and he is requesting grunge bands.

I'm pretty sure he means STRONG POLITICAL GRUNGE BANDS.

Not just any strong political band.
Grunge didn't start until the whole Melvins, Green River, Soundgarden thing, but for bands that influenced Grunge, you could look at Neil Young, Dino Jr, Sonic Youth, the Pixies, Sabbath, and a whole lotta punk. The Stooges too, if you want to go waaay back.
Quote by Zycho
Grunge is just a different label for Alternative.

Alternative = Grunge + Punk (I think, don't flame me if I'm wrong)

Grey Daze?
Quote by Trowzaa
I immediately clenched my butthole after reading that...