hi im pretty new to bass. can someone tell me wut it means to scoop your mids and wut it does? thanks all!
www.myspace.com/getwellcards

"et quand le jour arrive la tourner el ciel et la tourner la mer et la mer eh ven embrasse moi et la deneh ve moi logis"
It removes the middle tone leaving the bass and treble. If you want an example then listen to KoRn, Freak on a Leash shows this tone off pretty well.
it means lowering your mid frequencies, while keeping your bass and treble frequencies fairly high.
1)take mid knob
2)turn all the way down
3)make farting sounds in the key of your choice
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
1)take mid knob
2)turn all the way down
3)make farting sounds in the key of your choice

Scooped mids sounds awsome on its own. doesnt cut through the mix tho, but you get some really nice rumble in the background, and if the treble is well boosted, what you hear is almost like a really trebly bass with a really bassy one.
Its when your tone phails. But seriously, its cool for solo work, but you shouldnt do it in most band settings.
Buy a book with a frequency chart in it and get to know what frequency the notes are.
As an example starting with your 'A' string 55HZ/CPS= cycles per second which means how many times the strings vibrates per second when producing the open 'A' note.

Each rising octave doubles up in terms of HZ so that where 55hz is open 'A' 110hz is 'A' at the second fret on the 'G' string and 220hz is 14th fret on the 'G' string, the next 'A' is the currently accepted standard tuning reference of 440hz as many of you will find on your tuners.

Getting to know your frequencies is a great help when you start using Graphich EQs up to 31 band.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by zeppelinfreak51
Its when your tone phails.

However, I shall give you a +1 and a cookie.
Here's a wonderful bit of equing advice that get's thrown around the bass forum a fair bit: Less is more. If you are going to *shudders* start off your playing with scooped mids, then don't crank treble and bass all the way while turning the mids to 0. Only adjust any given band of the equilizer by one or two.
Scooped mids means you should read my 2 EQ blogs.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Stop being harsh on the scoopers. It works in certain situations, KoRn a prime example. Albeit I'll give you that it does rear it's ugly head in situations it shouldn't, but if you are trying to compete with two guitars in drop dropped B, it can work nicely. It's all about filling in sonic space, not trying to compete with the wrong frequencies.
The prog kid from way down under of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I don't know if I'd use Korn as an example of scooped mids used properly. To me, it sounds like a rumble and a clack to go along with the heavy guitars.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Each to their own I suppose, but it works for the situation IMO.
And yeah, I'm still searching for an example of scooped mid's used in a more traditional sense, as none of the bands I primarily listen to (RHCP, Dream Theater, Mudvayne) Have scooped mids. Moreso the polar opposite

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
In my experience, scooped mids is very much a slapper thing. It's used to dial out that GNACK the mids can give the slap tone - smooths it out a bit. Marcus Miller's tone is a good example.

However, Fieldy literally cuts his mids as much as he can. All the way down. To the point where it sounds like his amp is 100 feet farther away than it actually is.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Accurate, by all degree.

It is one thing listening to the sweet tone of scooped when the band isn't playing and another when the band are playing.
Take out too much mid and you won't cut through the mix, my advice is to play music at the same time as you set your sound/EQ.
You will probably not like the sound when you turn the music off but it will show just how much your ears are deceived by what you percieve to be a good bass sound.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn