Right...

When you take guitar lessons is there a curriculum to learn and if anyone is a guitar teacher then could you post something structured like what i should learn and examples (also the theory)

and please dont put stuff like "PENTATONIC!!!" because who does that help?
and please dont be vague.

thanks

(a practice routine wouldnt go a miss either)

also id like something to do so i can see my progress. like a chart or something? if anyone else does this could you suggest something?
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
Last edited by Conca at Aug 23, 2008,
My father's a music teacher, he lets me spectate some of his lessons, although all teachers are different.

There's 2 parts to guitar instruction, or any musical instruction in general. A mix of technique and theory. Technique includes all the physical aspects of playing guitar. It's beneficial to have a good technique. Aside from playing your favorite songs, I would say dedicate half (or more) of your time to doing exercises. They are extremely boring for the most part, but they are a quicker way to getting better than just playing songs. Think of them as a quick workout before a tournament or whatever.

This is my routine:
Chromatic scales
Diatonic scales
Various "shred" phrases, Paganini, etc.
Sweep picking
edit, that used to be my routine. Nowadays I practice classical guitar, and improvisation, so I have my hands full, anyways, I think you get the idea. They're mostly exercises to increase speed and accuracy.

The other aspect of music is the theoretical one. This includes learning theory, ear training, improvisation and composition. Pretty much self explanatory...Just ask your teacher to help you with that.

The best way to track your technique progress is to play with a metronome constantly. This way you could keep track of your top speed (if that's what you're going for), and write down the date when you put the metronome to a higher BPM. That's what I used to do at least.
My father's a music teacher, he lets me spectate some of his lessons, although all teachers are different.

There's 2 parts to guitar instruction, or any musical instruction in general. A mix of technique and theory. Technique includes all the physical aspects of playing guitar. It's beneficial to have a good technique. Aside from playing your favorite songs, I would say dedicate half (or more) of your time to doing exercises. They are extremely boring for the most part, but they are a quicker way to getting better than just playing songs. Think of them as a quick workout before a tournament or whatever.

This is my routine:
Chromatic scales
Diatonic scales
Various "shred" phrases, Paganini, etc.
Sweep picking
edit, that used to be my routine. Nowadays I practice classical guitar, and improvisation, so I have my hands full, anyways, I think you get the idea. They're mostly exercises to increase speed and accuracy.

The other aspect of music is the theoretical one. This includes learning theory, improvisation and composition. Pretty much self explanatory...Just ask your teacher to help you with that.

The best way to track your technique progress is to play with a metronome constantly. This way you could keep track of your top speed (if that's what you're going for), and write down the date when you put the metronome to a higher BPM. That's what I used to do at least.
the problem is i dont have a teacher and never had lessons.

also could you post some examples? thanks for the help
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
If you want to really get results, you should find a good teacher. Not only for the content they will give you, but for the coaching, training and mentoring. Those are things you can't really do for yourself effectively.
yh im gonna get a teacher cuz i totally agree with you its just somethin to do until i do get one
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
Quote by Conca
Right...

When you take guitar lessons is there a curriculum to learn and if anyone is a guitar teacher then could you post something structured like what i should learn and examples (also the theory)

and please dont put stuff like "PENTATONIC!!!" because who does that help?
and please dont be vague.

thanks

(a practice routine wouldnt go a miss either)

also id like something to do so i can see my progress. like a chart or something? if anyone else does this could you suggest something?

Whats your problem with pentatonic. If you dont know how to play major/minor pentonics all over the fretboard then I wouldnt knock pentatonic scales. Your question is vague. How far along are you? What do you know? What are your goals? What are your musical interests? A good teacher would find the answer to these first and then prescribe something for you.
Quote by /-\liceNChains
Whats your problem with pentatonic. If you dont know how to play major/minor pentonics all over the fretboard then I wouldnt knock pentatonic scales. Your question is vague. How far along are you? What do you know? What are your goals? What are your musical interests? A good teacher would find the answer to these first and then prescribe something for you.

hey i know my pentatonic scale all im saying is that people just come into threads and put "PENTATONIC!" and that doesnt help cuz i know the pentatonic scale in all fingerings and keys.
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3