Page 1 of 5
Great songs with bad guitar solos?

I came accross a few the other day from a certain band (however if I utter that band name and "bad" in the same sentence I will offically be burned to death), they were a bunch of awesome songs with awesome melody, chords, and dynamics, but the solos just killed them in their musical tracks .

Know any great songs with bad guitar solos? Do tell UGers!

xxx

Don't think of your sister naked.

[You just did]
Just about any Slayer song. But everything else about them are so awesome that the solo's don't matter. At least, that's how I view it.
Any song by Skid Row.

I'd say the same with Metallica but their songs are never great.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
SikTh - Another Sinking Ship

Absolutely murders a great song. Lasts almost 2 minutes as well.
Californication - Chili Peppers
Quote by sneyob
Saw extended blue dick,
clicked X.

Sorry,
force of habit

Quote by Bmm386

There is only one solution. We need to bomb outer space. That should show those terrorist bastards who's who
Quote by 12Jim34
Just about any Slayer song. But everything else about them are so awesome that the solo's don't matter. At least, that's how I view it.

+100000000
Quote by blackenedktulu
CFH82, I love you. I didn't laugh, but my god, I love you.

Quote by Zero-Hartman
Holy shit, that was epic. A mighty roar escapeth'd my mouth.

Quote by WyvernOmega
I saw a penis.

last.fm
Quote by Freaky_Styley
Californication - Chili Peppers

That solo is short and sweet, I think it fits nicely, even if it doesn't sound like your average guitar solo...

[You just did]
mysteria by edguy...the solo is so badass...but the solo is lacking..

edit..the SOONG is so badass
Last edited by HIM%(^ at Aug 23, 2008,
imo, some of slayer's solos actually fit the music, but most of them are just whammy jibberish. doesn't stop me though, i love it.

there's a Kataklysm song called The Awakener that is pretty killer, it has their first singer, but then there's a dumb little attempt at a solo that just ruins it for a while. i'm glad they stay away from guitar solos for the most part.
Quote by mr.cheese..
Now I've got it! Masturbate in the mud while smoking weed!

Quote by darkstar2466
Meaning is not absolute.
Dave Mustaines solo in the Dream Theater cover of Cemetery Gates.

Petrucci = Fukin Epic
Mustaine = Not at all
May the Schwartz be with us! 2012

MAL

Q: OK, so do you care about the labels — nastiest, edgiest team in the NFL?

Jim Schwartz: It's better than the alternative — meekest, least aggressive, softest team in the NFL.

Just about everything by Slayer...especially raining blood and angel of death.
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
Quote by HIM%(^
mysteria by edguy...the solo is so badass...but the solo is lacking..

...What?
Feed your mind.
Black Label Society - In This River anyone?
Archbishop of Zeppelinism...

Quote by Beakwithteeth
Get him into blues. Lyrical depth-not so much. But it is groovy and it is black people's music so if he doesn't enjoy then he is not a true black person.

Love Her Madly - The Doors
We fear violence less than our own feelings. Personal, private, solitary pain is more terrifying than what anyone else can inflict.
Jim Morrison
Most slayer solos make my ears bleed.

Kirk Hammett's random solos (like their new track) do not appeal to me too much either.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
"hey" - RHCP, the solo is just freakin annoying. Frusciante just plays the same two notes over and over and over about 10 times, then switches to two other notes.
Quote by maidenrulz19
Dave Mustaines solo in the Dream Theater cover of Cemetery Gates.

Petrucci = Fukin Epic
Mustaine = Not at all

Indeed, Mustaine ruins the song totally!
I'm sorry but I like the Raining Blood solo, it fits with the music and flows into the end of the song nicely (:

[You just did]
Quote by samick007
"hey" - RHCP, the solo is just freakin annoying. Frusciante just plays the same two notes over and over and over about 10 times, then switches to two other notes.

I think the solo is the best part of the song.
Quote by Chris.Rock.Art
I think it was a good solo. It just didn't match at all with the rest of the song.

I could have been worse, a lad and a friend of his did it at my school once, and only had Piano backing him, the solo just pwnd the piano and pianist just got confused

[You just did]
Anything by Avenged Sevenfold. Their solos rarely fit the songs as well as they should. The only ones I can think of right now that actually fit are the solos to Bat Country and Seize the Day.
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
Quote by I-AM-NOT-GOD

true, but the slow lead up bit with the vibrato fits quite well, its the wankery afterwards that ruins it, that said, it was still good
Last edited by telemetal at Aug 23, 2008,
Quote by I-AM-NOT-GOD

Only the studio version,
the solos he does on the live dvd are absolutely amazing and fit perfectly i think.
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
See, I like Slayer solos in the context of their songs. Anything else just wouldn't fit with the insane speed and generally chaotic nature of their songs.
I can't believe nobody has said "I wanna be sedated" yet, oh dear...

[You just did]
All of them. Solos bore me
UG'S SEXIEST TRANNY 2010

UG'S 3rd HOTTEST CROSSDRESSER 2011
Quote by Brick23
All of them. Solos bore me

So you're saying all songs are great as well?

[You just did]
Quote by SOADrox429
Anything by Avenged Sevenfold. Their solos rarely fit the songs as well as they should. The only ones I can think of right now that actually fit are the solos to Bat Country and Seize the Day.

I thought Afterlife and Beast and the Harlot fit...but Syn does have a tendency to unnecessarily wank:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc_HFNjN97k
Quote by I-AM-NOT-GOD

That.

Fall Out Boy's cover of 'Beat it' I thought was pretty good...until I heard the solo....... ..I like the rest of the song though, I think Patrick's voice suits it really well.
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

Agree with In This River and Slayer. The South of Heaven intro is Godly. But I usually turn the song at the solo cause it makes me sad
The solo in Raining Blood is just unpleasant to listen to.

Dave Mustaine is a great player, but his solo in Cemetery Gates just ruins it.

The Californication solo sounds like a joke.

The solo in In This River absolutely kills the song.

Also, a weird one. In Countdown To Extiction, it feels like there should have been a bit huge epic solo after the harmony interlude with Dave and Marty. Every time I listen to it, it feels like I'm being cheated out of a solo.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Page 1 of 5