I've been playing for around 5 months and I'm having fun, I can play some songs etc.
But when I try to make some stuff up or improvise I can't seem to get away from some of the basic stuff, like barring a single fret, and the
----
----
----
----
--5-
--3-
power chord shape.
I want to become better, I just keep having to resort back to this, while I want to step away from this.
Any help?
learn songs in different tunings ,different styles of music and learn some new techniques like tapping
Quote by sbinlb
learn songs in different tunings ,different styles of music and learn some new techniques like tapping

What songs would you recommend? Oh, and I can do basic tapping already.
I read in a guitar magazine that you should get someone you know who doesn't know a thing about guitar and ask them to pick 4 notes anywhere on the fretboard. Take these notes and try and use them to create a riff. That way, it probably won't be part of any scale and you will have yourself an original riff.
As for the improvisation, if you always practice scales, you should start to try out different phrases and skip notes.
try learning hardcore or metal songs they will get both of your hands moving a lot faster. try some iron maiden or trivium
Quote by sbinlb
try learning hardcore or metal songs they will get both of your hands moving a lot faster. try some iron maiden or trivium

I've tried some Maiden, I can play the trooper, but when I get up to the trills my hands can't do them fast enough so I have to slow myself down.
At 5 months you should be doing the basics, you're still pretty much a stone-cold beginner...I wouldn't expect anyone who'd been playing for so little time to be able to improvise much of anything, you won't yet have the technical ability, theory knowledge or experience of the instrument to do anything like that.

Just slow down and concentrate on getting to know the instrument better before worrying too much about improvising. From the looks of it your problem is you haven't studied the basics enough, you've jut scratched the surface rather than taking the time to fully understand and absorb things.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
just take the time to develop your hands so you can play faster and wont get tired
Try and learn some easier metal songs like some Metallica. Those will improve your speed, technique and stamina.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by steven seagull
At 5 months you should be doing the basics, you're still pretty much a stone-cold beginner...I wouldn't expect anyone who'd been playing for so little time to be able to improvise much of anything, you won't yet have the technical ability, theory knowledge or experience of the instrument to do anything like that.

Just slow down and concentrate on getting to know the instrument better before worrying too much about improvising. From the looks of it your problem is you haven't studied the basics enough, you've jut scratched the surface rather than taking the time to fully understand and absorb things.

+1
Heed the Birdman, for he is usually correct.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Quote by Ichimaru
Try and learn some easier metal songs like some Metallica. Those will improve your speed, technique and stamina.

I've been trying that, I can play Enter Sandman up to the bar chord (I think thats what its called) part and most of the intro of Master of Puppets.