I just bought a used Godin SD off kijiji, it's in pretty good condition, plays well and sounds pretty good for having year old strings.

My question is besides the obvious (changing the strings and dusting it) what can I do to make this guitar seem as if it was straight off the shelf. For example, it sounds weird but the previous owner had pets and there is a slight smell to the guitar, can I do anyting about this?
MIM Fender Strat
Shecter Blackjack ATX
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Godin SD
Norman ST40
Yamaha CG-171S
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Tonebone Plexitube
Dunlop Crybaby from Hell
Maxon OD-9

Highway 1 Fender Strat
Fender Blues Junior
Tonebone Classic
pending on the finish, just put some fantastic( all-purpose cleaner ) on it. ( that also helps w/ the dust. )
Gear:
Aria lawsuit V
epiphone E-310 strat copy
peavey vypyr 15
boss blues driver II
Kramer striker 100st (invader pickup)
Randall RG50tc

EHX Metal Muff
Quote by ac/dc752
pending on the finish, just put some fantastic( all-purpose cleaner ) on it. ( that also helps w/ the dust. )

What finish does that work for? The guitar is black, kind of like your standard strat (think Blackie).
MIM Fender Strat
Shecter Blackjack ATX
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Godin SD
Norman ST40
Yamaha CG-171S
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Tonebone Plexitube
Dunlop Crybaby from Hell
Maxon OD-9

Highway 1 Fender Strat
Fender Blues Junior
Tonebone Classic
I use pledge for cleaning my guitar, spray it on an old rag and wipe it down.

For dust and other dirty areas, take off the strings and clean in there, if I have to, I'll get a Swifter duster to get in the hard areas (the area right by the pick-up), and then oil the fretboard a little. It makes it look like it just came of out the manufacturer's factory.

You don't need to use an all-purpose cleaner if you don't have anything on hand, a good rag will do the job just fine.
polis the neck with some pecal paste if you can find it or other wood polish and put some lemon oil on the fretboard if its a rosewood fretboard (blackish) if its a maple neck DONT PUT STUFF ON IT!
Quote by seljer
heres a nice guide on how to clean a guitar (an Ibanez but most still applies) right down to tiny details http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/grunge/grunge_1.htm

Very Detailed, Thanks!

Quote by Mr.Camo

oil the fretboard a little

What kind of oil do you suggest?

Quote by Kazmo

polis the neck with some pecal paste if you can find it or other wood polish and put some lemon oil on the fretboard if its a rosewood fretboard (blackish) if its a maple neck DONT PUT STUFF ON IT!

It's rosewood. What exactly is pecal paste.
MIM Fender Strat
Shecter Blackjack ATX
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Godin SD
Norman ST40
Yamaha CG-171S
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Tonebone Plexitube
Dunlop Crybaby from Hell
Maxon OD-9

Highway 1 Fender Strat
Fender Blues Junior
Tonebone Classic
If your fretboard is rosewood I would suggest lemon oil.
Epiphone G-400
Epiphone Valve Junior Half Stack
Fender DG-20CE
Ok thanks for all the replies.

Any idea for the smell?
MIM Fender Strat
Shecter Blackjack ATX
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Godin SD
Norman ST40
Yamaha CG-171S
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Tonebone Plexitube
Dunlop Crybaby from Hell
Maxon OD-9

Highway 1 Fender Strat
Fender Blues Junior
Tonebone Classic
what would you clean the frett board with if it was rose wood with a lot of inlay work say like a schecter c-1 classic with the vines and all?...not trying to high jack your thread ts, but since were talking about rose wood frett boards and stuff.
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
epiphone traditional pro lp
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab
Lemon oil sounds good for the fretboard but any ideas for the neck (it's maple)?
MIM Fender Strat
Shecter Blackjack ATX
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Godin SD
Norman ST40
Yamaha CG-171S
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Tonebone Plexitube
Dunlop Crybaby from Hell
Maxon OD-9

Highway 1 Fender Strat
Fender Blues Junior