I'm so disappointed I saved up all my hard earned money for a GH100L, I got one from eBay 2nd hand in mint condition for £315, however i haven't had enough money for the cab so tonight my friend brought round the recommended Laney cab for the head round to mine as he has the GH100L as well.

There we are hooking it up to my Washburn X-50q, the GH100L has TAD EL34'S in it, the ones recommended on the Laney website. On it went and the sound was nothing like what i'd heard from Gilbert, in terms of gain and tone. It lacked punch and crispness, best way i can describe it.

Here are the settings i was using.
Presence-3
Bass-8
Treble-3
Mid-1 (sounds horrible when the mids are turned up)
Gain- 8
Drive-8
Master volume- 1.5 been testing it late at night, this was still loud.

The tone sounded more classic rock like than the thick shred sound I've heard from it here are a few examples

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CqM4UrzEdI&feature=user
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og9O4BGAkxk&feature=related (boosted with a TS9)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMYcp6TAIrI

The sound I'm getting is nothing like this, mine sounds tinny and thin :S

There are a few possibilities of what the problem could be

1.My guitar - The washburn is hardly an amazing guitar for high gain, I'm saving up for a PGM301 and wondering if this would make a significant difference due to the pickups. Current pickups in the washburn are stock 'Head Hunters'.

2. The valves- TAD EL34'S, any comment?

3. The settings I'm using

4.The volume, we only had it at 2 max, but we did use a volume box to try and counter this

Personally i believe the guitar is the issue, please please people give me answers or I'm going to start crying after forking out £315 on this head
No mids + low volume = thin tone.

Turn both it and the mids up.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by sharpy1
*Long post*

1. Guitar isn't the problem imo, and I don't know how you got classic rock tone out of it, EMGs are supposed to drive the amp harder.
2. No experience.
3. Not sure either, there are a few Laney GH owners here though. ^Good point.
4. Volume box? But doesn't the Laney have a master volume?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Try Gilbert's EQ settings:

presence: 3
bass: 4
mids: 3
treble: 4
Gain: pegged
drive: about half.

but remember: this will sound best when healthily cranked.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
thanks for that zaphod, mind if i ask how you know they are Gilbert's settings?

Also, what's pegged?

I apologize for the multiple post, wasn't sure where it was best suited, i shall delete the other one now
Last edited by sharpy1 at Aug 23, 2008,
Quote by sharpy1
thanks for that zaphod, mind if i ask how you know they are Gilbert's settings?

Also, what's pegged?

Pegged = full

I know they're gilberts EQ settings because someone posted photos over on the Racer-X forum and it's what I base my tone on, it sounds quite Gilbert-y, even with my clumsy hands and stock INF pickups in my guitar.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Master volume is way to low to be getting the best out of that amp, and mids that low will sound god-awful - you want punchy and mids=punch. Those volume boxes do nothing, and volume itself is part of what makes a tone pleasing.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
The guy from youtube who posted this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CqM4UrzEdI&feature=user
Just sent me this message
Generally the settings that I use are as follows: Presence at 2-3, Bass at 9-10, Mid a little under 5, Treble a little under 5, Master to taste, Drive 6.5 - 7, Gain 6.5 - 7. Settings for the TS9 are Gain at 0, Tone at about 11:00, and Volume maxed out (this helps boost the Preamp). Pickups definitely make a HUGE difference. The Pickups in my PRS Tremonti single cut sounds a lot brighter then the EMG 707's in my Schecter C7 Hellraiser which are alot darker sounding and to my ears sound better. What kind of guitar/ pickups are you using?

New thought- Possibly the Valves need changing? Maybe there are better brands than TAD?

The valves are EL34(B)'S
This amp came equipped with 3 12ax7 preamp tubes and 4 EL34B (British) power tubes.
You don't think is affecting my sound and giving me a British rock sound rather than shred?
Last edited by sharpy1 at Aug 23, 2008,
boost your mids and turn up your volume.
Quote by Mo Jiggity
What he said. You are a wise man for not buying into the hype.

ya hear that...he thinks im wise
Try putting the EQ flat and going from there. You'll need to work with the mids to get a good tone out of it. Scooping the mids will give you less clarity and a very much NOT Gilbert-esque sound. And as far as the Drive goes, I'd think that the switch next to the knob turns it on (it's a two-channel amp with two-stage gain), so I guess just make sure that's on.

Laney has put up a few sound clips of the GH50L on their website, with the settings used for the clips. http://www.laney.co.uk/show_prod.php?prod=gh100l There shouldn't be too much of a difference between the basic sound of the 50 and 100.

Keep the EL34s. They're a big part of the shape of Gilbert's tone - they have a large high-mid boost.
If anyone wants to IM me, it's dwsabianguy. No spam.
hey guys, thanks for the responses. Unfortunately the cab is no longer here so i'll have to wait until the 5th to try these settings out when i get my own one, any more suggestions would be cool
got another answer from the youtube guy, check his comment on the cab!

No worries at all! I'm always willing to help a fellow guitarist out. The TS9 will DEFINITELY get you that sound that you're looking for. It's exactly what Gilbert (and many others) use to push their amp into high gain. Even the likes of Killswitch Engage or Enter Shikari. As for Tubes, I use JJ 6L6 which make the amp sound a tad darker. You might like that as well as EL34's can get a little harsh in these amps. When you get the Money see if you can find a Used Iommi Laney cab. Thats what I use and it sounds better then any other cabs I've tried.

Here- same price! http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/amplifiers-7/cabinets-10/laney-gs412ls-speaker-cab-245.html
hey again people, bit of an update, i managed to get a superior sound by playing it through my friends S series Ibanez, one of the lower model ones around £350 but has better pickups than my wahsburn.., the tone i got was still not what i want, but a lot better, messed around with the settings and took your advise.

i have 4 questions

1. How much of a difference will the Demarzio pickups make on the PGM301

2. The valves i have are TAD 3L4B'S the B apparently stands for british but i son't see these installed in any other GHL's on the website the price ranges from 10 euros too 172 and seeing as there is no model name on mine it's hard to tell

10 Euro- http://www.tubeampdoctor.com/product_info.php?products_id=561

172 euro http://www.tubeampdoctor.com/product_info.php?products_id=341

3. What are the BEST EL34 valves available for the GH100L and how much would it cost me too get them fitted?

4.How much of a difference would a TS9 make, I've been told it could make a significant difference
Your trying to get the tone of a 100 watt amp at half volume or more with the volume way down. The tone your looking for comes from having the thing cranked up. Pickups pedals etc isnt going to do much. Now you see the down side to a 100 watt amp for household use. A 30 watt tube amp on half volume can be to much to be in the same room with. Youre gonna need an attenuator and a cab.
Yeah, I would also recommend getting a good attenuator. I've seen Paul himself use a THD Hot Plate, and I've used a Marshall something with good results. I totally cranked a Plexi hooked up to the Marshall attenuator and it was about the volume of a practice amp.

But get a cab before an attenuator. You can't use an attenuator if you don't have anything for the sound to come out of!
If anyone wants to IM me, it's dwsabianguy. No spam.