Page 1 of 2
OK, I'm off to university in a month. I've got a flat and stuff (which is only 2 years old, and really nice), but I've heard what goes on at university accommodation. The bad stories I've heard (of people just walking into your place and taking your food and stuff) have mostly been about dorms/halls, which I'm not going to be in. I'm in a flat with a few other people. But still... So anyway, I'm kind of anxious about taking either of my Les Pauls. One is a limited edition Gibson, and is worth £2,000 ($4,000 of your puny American dollars!), and the other is my completely worthless Epiphone LP, which is actually my baby and I completely love it to bits, and would be heart-broken if anything were to happen to it.

So.. I've seen this Tanglewood Strat-copy in my local guitar shop. I've played on it, and it seems alright. The geezer wants £110 for it, and for the price, it seems quite good. Now, I'm not some beginner or anything. I'm not after some really lovely guitar, but I do know a nice one when I play it. This Tanglewood thing seemed pretty sturdy, had high-quality Fender Deluxe-like tuners, and the bridge looked a nice piece of kit, and seemed to operate quite well with moderate wammy bar usage. Which, given the utterly atrocious set up on the guitar (strings were like a mile off the fretboard, the intonation was pants, etc), was kind of impressive. It was nice and heavy, which means it's almost certainly basswood. The only downside was that the pickups sounded rather "meh". They'd certainly suffice, but aren't anything to shout about.

I'm not really after recommendations. I'm not willing to go to blow £300 on a piece of crap MIM Fender, or whatever. That's not the point. My question is this- should I "risk it" and take one of my beloved 'Pauls (yeah the Epiphone is quite worthless, but I love it to pieces), or should I buy this Tanglewood? The shop takes part exchanges, and I do have a crappy Stagg acoustic gathering dust. I could trade it in for the Tanglewood and get it for even cheaper. My thinking is that it would be a good cheap guitar to take to uni, and that if anything were to happen to it, I wouldn't exactly brake down in tears. Plus, if it survives 3 years of abuse, it actually feels pretty nice, and maybe with some new pickups etc it could be a more serious addition to my collection.

Thoughts? I'm particularly interested in the opinions of those who are at university/have been at university, and know what's in store for anything I take with me.
Get insurance (obviously) and take the Epi or buy something else.

Taking the Gibson seems a bit excessive and asking for trouble to me. I know enough people that had their rooms completely cleaned out.
I'm definitely not taking my Gibson. Even if I did have it insured, it's limited edition and has long gone out of production. So is irreplaceable. My Epi is technically worthless, but it's one of the really nice old Korean-made ones, and so I'd find it difficult to replace it with an equivalent Epi. The current Chinese ones are crap. The Tanglewood caught my eye, and it seemed OK when I played it. Had sturdy hardware, and felt good. It's completely worthless, and I'm thinking maybe it'd be smart to invest in that, rather than having my irreplaceable 'Pauls insured. Maybe I should insure them anyway, regardless.
Quote by smb
Get insurance (obviously) and take the Epi or buy something else.

Taking the Gibson seems a bit excessive and asking for trouble to me. I know enough people that had their rooms completely cleaned out.

This is probably best, but i don't know where you'd get insurance for the epi
Insurance is an option, but like I said, I'm not that keen on it, since while the money side of things would be covered, they are pretty irreplaceable anyway. So I'd pretty much just rather not put my 'Pauls in that situation where I'd need them insured. For me, it'd be almost like having my child insured. "If your child is broken or damaged, you will be given the money to buy another"- I could never replace them. I think a really cheap guitar that's worth less than the case it's in, yet is still decent enough to use, would be the ideal solution. So I've been looking around for a few days, and this Tanglewood seemed to fit the bill. I'm talking about an actual particular guitar in a shop that I've played. We're not talking something I saw on eBay or anything, here.
Well get insurance for your stuff generally whatever guitar you decide to take. Sounds like you'd be better off buying a beater. Not sure on this Tanglewood though.

I didn't plan on taking a lot of stuff (took one guitar and a small combo) and I ended up buying three basses and a 400W amp during my first year it was great to have loads of gear lying around for random jams though
Heh, awesome. I'm planning on being in a cover band. My Uni is fairly close to home, so it won't be too much hassle to use my proper guitars for my gigs. I understand your misgivings on the Tanglewood. I always had them down as a really pants low-end brand. This guitar is certainly low-end, but it does all the things is should do, has nice jumbo frets, everything works well (even the trem, which is pretty rare on such a cheap electric), and ultimately, what more could you ask from such a guitar? It'd be great for my studies, and I wouldn't have to worry about leaving it in my apartment. If it goes missing, wouldn't be the end of the world.
Last edited by Martin Scott at Aug 24, 2008,
Sounds like you've thought it through and you've got your eye on this one then...why not go for it?
Ha, I'm going to the University of Hertfordshire, too! I'm doing Music Composition & Technology. I'm sure my flat will be reasonably safe. However, I won't have the place to myself, and I know Uni students have a ton of parties and stuff. So even if nothing gets 'stolen', there's potential for like, one of my flat mates having a big party, and one of his mates taking his girl up to my room and having a shag on my bed, and maybe the knock my stuff over or something? I'm actually probably being way too cautious. I love my guitars though, and they are, to a large degree, irreplaceable. If I buy this Strat, and then it turns out that actually my flat is a really safe environment for my gear, then it's not like a would have wasted much money on the Tanglewood. Besides, I don't have a Strat.
Im in uni, and dont bother taking something you love there. Like your gibson is a no go obvs, and if you love your epi so much, dont bother with it either, insurance is unnecessary because if something were to happen like it getting lost, its gone. So just get some cheap one, that isnt complete ****, so you can play. Because if you're in a flat, or on res, one thing you should know, theres always people going in/out, and stuff gets thrown all over the place, meaning the other person isnt always as considerate. So insurance=no, new guitar that is decent price=yes.
Quote by candysars
Thank you Jesusaurus.
sounds like you already made your choice, or were pretty close to it. just to push you over that cliff, I say go for it; if it fits the bill and you like it, its a go!
A man said to the universe:
"Sir, I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."

STOP MODERN DAY SLAVERY
get a case with locks(i have one) and it is impenetrable. also hide it somewhere. i dont know who would steal an epiphone and if its in the case it definitely wont break
Quote by ironman1478
get a case with locks(i have one) and it is impenetrable. also hide it somewhere. i dont know who would steal an epiphone and if its in the case it definitely wont break

if its in a case and how would you know its an epiphone then? and also, if you broke in to steal and you find a guitar case, you dont care whats in it, you just take it and find out whats inside after and how much street value its worth.
Quote by candysars
Thank you Jesusaurus.
Thanks everyone. You're right, I was heavily leaning towards getting the Tanglewood. I just needed some opinions about whether I was being too cautious or whatnot. Thanks. I'm going to trade some stuff in I don't use, and maybe get some money off my dad. So I might be able to get it for £0, lol. I'll update you when I buy it. I'll post some pics and crap like that. Maybe it'll sound better on my amp. I played it through this crap Ashton 30W valve amp. Valves do not always = great sound, lol!

Quote by ironman1478

As the other guy said, a locked case is no big deal. If you've ever seen a Gibson hardcase (standard with all Gibsons above the 'Studio' range), you'll know that they have a combination lock. It's really only there for like, stopping your little sister from coming in your room at home, taking your Gibson out and using it as a pretend car for her Barbie and Ken dolls, or as a plane, and chucking it down the stairs to see if it could fly. The open, empty case would even be a worthy Barbie and Ken house, lol. The locks on these cases are basically to stop stupid things like that, and to keep the guitar secure when it's with you (like at a gig, etc). It'd never be any major deterrent to a thief burgling your place. They'd just take it home with them, and then rip the lock off the case.

With a guitar worth £2,000 like mine (probably more now, it's limited edition), having to buy another Gibson hardcase for £50 or whatever is no big deal. Or, even not bothering and sticking it in some other case. How many times have you seen a Gibson on eBay without it's proper Gibson hardcase?

Thanks again, everyone. I'm convinced I'm doing the right thing now
Last edited by Martin Scott at Aug 24, 2008,
Quote by Martin Scott
Ha, I'm going to the University of Hertfordshire, too! I'm doing Music Composition & Technology. I'm sure my flat will be reasonably safe. However, I won't have the place to myself, and I know Uni students have a ton of parties and stuff. So even if nothing gets 'stolen', there's potential for like, one of my flat mates having a big party, and one of his mates taking his girl up to my room and having a shag on my bed, and maybe the knock my stuff over or something? I'm actually probably being way too cautious. I love my guitars though, and they are, to a large degree, irreplaceable. If I buy this Strat, and then it turns out that actually my flat is a really safe environment for my gear, then it's not like a would have wasted much money on the Tanglewood. Besides, I don't have a Strat.

Meh, if it were me, I'd just lock it up in the cupboard, and lock my room.
Quote by Steve The Plank
Meh, if it were me, I'd just lock it up in the cupboard, and lock my room.

Same ere its pointless buying a new guitar
*PROFILE NOT IN USE*
Thanks chaps, but the cheap Epiphones are disgusting, and I could take my current Epi and insure it, but if something were to happen to it, I'd have to replace it with a pre-2004 Epi, since I hate the new Chinese ones. Finding a nice Korean Epi to my tastes wouldn't be so simple. I like this Tanglewood, and I've talked to my folks, and they said they agree, and they might help me out with it/buy it for me. The decision has been made.

/thread.
Quote by Martin Scott
However, I won't have the place to myself, and I know Uni students have a ton of parties and stuff. So even if nothing gets 'stolen', there's potential for like, one of my flat mates having a big party, and one of his mates taking his girl up to my room and having a shag on my bed, and maybe the knock my stuff over or something? .

buy a washburn x200, they're like £200 (dunno if thats above or below ur price range) and come with seymour duncans, real gd for the money.
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
Personally, I'd for the Tanglewood since you've played before, it's not worth too much money and with a decent set up, you've got a good playing guitar that if stolen, won't be a blow to you financially and emotionally.
This is it with expensive guitars isn’t it? You spend all that money and end up being overly cautious about getting your money’s worth out of the damn thing! I guess obviously with your LP Martin, it’s understandable given that it’s quite rare. But I would take your Epiphone, with a decent locking case and storing it safely - I’m sure nothing will go wrong.

I’m taking my MIA Deluxe Strat to Uni. I paid a hell of a lot for it and I’ll be damned if I don’t get good use out of it. The way I see it, it’s just a waste if you’re not having fun with it and developing from it. I can handle a few knocks and scratches if it means I’ll have plenty of stories to tell about it down the line.
You pretty much hit the nail on the head, Tomaz. It's not bumps and scratches I'm worried about though. It's theft. I'm pretty confident my Gibson would go walkies fairly quickly. As for the Epi.. I don't know. It's such a nice guitar for an Epiphone. It'd be a shame if anything happened to it. If I had the place to myself, I'd totally take it. I'm just so unsure about the sort of environment I'm going to be in, so I don't want to. It may turn out that after a few months, I deem my place safe enough for my gear. If so, I'll have only wasted a few quid on the Tanglewood, and I don't have any sort of Strat-type guitar, so it would be a cool little addition to my collection regardless.

The guitar is £110. I'm selling an old effects pedal for £50, and I'm going to part-exchange my old useless Stagg acoustic for the Tanglewood. So I may end up only having to spent like £20-30 on it, which ultimately is a bargain not to be missed, really. That's if my folks don't pay the difference, which I think they might.
i've seen yamaha pacifica 112s for £139... might be worth considering? i haven't tried tanglewoods, though, they might be nice.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I would totally buy a Pacifica if I could get it for the same price. I've never heard much about Tanglewoods, either good or bad, to be honest. I always had them down (unfairly) as a crap brand. I've never known anyone to own one, etc. So yeah, I picked this one up not expecting much (it was pretty much the price that attracted me), but it was actually pretty good. Probably about as good as a Pacifica. However, the Pacificas are tried-and-true, whereas this Tanglewood might give me some problems down the line that are currently unforeseen. You know you can depend on a Pacifica. The Tanglewood is a bit unknown in that area.

The Pacifica's pickups are almost certainly better than the one in the Tanglewood (although I'm not sure how much I'd atribute the 'meh' sound to the guitar, and not the amp I played it through). On the other hand, the tremolo on this particular Tanglewood is definitely better than the ones they put on the Pacifica 112 (you could actually use it a fair amount with no loss of tuning). Since the Pacifica 112 is around £150 new (on the net), it's not a good of a deal as this little guitar I found.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
http://www.gear4music.com/Electric_Guitars/G4M_Electric_Guitars/Black_Knight_CP-52F_Electric_Guitar_S--Bsefv_6.html

definatley buy a new cheap one, ok if its stolen your still going to be botherd, but atleast it wont have such a personal value to you.. the guitar above should play and feel very nice, i have the 199 CP200 version, but 200 quid seems abit much for what you want, i think this one for 114 will be fine i think, but if it isnt you can always send it back and get a refund, cant lose really
Couldn't you rent a locker or something at the uni? I'm pretty sure more colleges have instrument storage at the music building(s).
1992 Ibanez S540 sol
1988? Kramer Pacer Mutt
If the guitar has sentimental value then no insurance can cover that, get something that you don't mind getting stolen for uni, your only there for 6-8 months of a year for a few years so it's really not worth risking losing something you love.
Kit:

Tanglewood TW28STR
PRS Soapbar SE II
Epiphone LP100

Roland Cube 30x (New!)
OK, so I bought it today, and took some pictures for you all! It's not amazing by any means, but this guitar cost me almost nothing, so I'm pretty happy! Click the thumbnails to see them full-size.

There she is. 21 jumbo frets (what's the point in not having 22? I've never understood that..), "Shoreline Gold" finish (looks grey in the pics, but it's actually muted gold), lovely lovely maple fretboard (see signature!), three "Entwistle AS 62" (lawl) alnico single coil pickups, fulcrum tremolo bridge and screw in wammy bar, six Fender Deluxe-style tuners, 5-way pickup switch, etc.

The back of the neck, with one of those brown stripes that some Strat necks have.

The headstock, which is relatively Fender-shaped. Some Strat-copy headstocks look hideous. This one looks OK.

One of the best things about the guitar. Guitars of this price range (£110!) almost always have those terrible plastic 'chrome effect' tuners. The tuners on this are copies of Fender/Gibson Deluxe tuners, are metal, and are actually pretty nice! I don't think I'll need to replace them.

Blemish on the fretboard, between the 6th and 7th frets. Plus my cat looming in the background, probably wondering whether it's edible.

Closer view of said blemish. It's under the varnish, so it's not like a rough spot or anything. You can't feel it. The neck is really nice to play.

The "Entwistle" pickups. No, I've never heard of them either. They're apparently alnico v magnets. I wasn't too impressed with the tone of these pickups when I played this guitar at the store. However, I was playing through an awful Ashton 30W valve amp (even my Gibson sounded like sh*t on that amp..). I'm more happy with the sound of this guitar when I played it through my setup at home today. It still doesn't sound fantastic or anything, but definitely some usable tones. The pickups are probably the second thing I'd change, if I did change anything. They're OK.

Which brings me onto the first thing I'd change. The bridge is commonly a weak area on cheap guitars, and this is no different. The actual bridge itself is OK, and can retain tuning with a fair amount of tremolo usage. However, the saddles are really crap. They're bent steel saddles, but there's no grooves for the strings to sit in (I guess the strings may wear in their own grooves after a while, but still..), the springs pushing the saddles out are sh*t and all over the place, and the screws are not too hardy. I doubt the screwdriver indents on the top of them would withstand more than a few intonation setups without stripping. I'm definitely going to be looking for some better saddles (which come with new springs anyway). Other than that, it's an alright bridge.

So anyways, after getting some money off some people who owed me, selling on old pedal I haven't used for two years, and talking the guy down to £85.. I only actually had to put in £5 of my own money (roughly $10 American)! So this guitar cost me less than what my train fare for one day costs, lawl! It's not amazing, but it's actually pretty good, will be just fine for uni, and with some upgrades, could be a right spanking guitar! As it is, it's a perfectly usable guitar, and it literally cost me less than the zip-up soft case it's sitting in. This is perfect and exactly what I needed.
Last edited by Martin Scott at Sep 3, 2008,
That actually looks pretty decent Martin! I assumed that a Tanglewood would be something pretty average if not lower, but the build quality of that Strat appears to be pretty good. Have fun modding it.

*cough*paint-job*cough*

Thanks, man. I actually like the paint job. It's actually not 'grey', it's really muted gold. ("Shoreline Gold"). It's a classic Strat colour, after looking at a bunch of Fenders just now. Here (CLICK) is Tanglewood's page on this particular guitar, which I just found. Nice to know it's made of basswood, and not poplar or plywood or any crap like that. Obviously, alder is the 'proper' tonewood for a Strat, but basswood is by no means terrible. Apparently similar to mahogany, which suits me, since I'm an LP man.

For the first time ever, I have some single coil tones in my guitar collection! I'm loving it just playing some lovely tunes on clean.
nice!
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
id just take one you have now and keep it hidden at all times when your not about
I've got a Tanglewood Strat, and it's lasted me almost 3 years, with some REALLY bad abuse. Seriously, you should try one.

EDIT: Wait, I'm being slow here. Oh well, I've drank too much Irn Bru and vodka...

But yeah, my point remains vaild.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Last edited by Lil Macker at Aug 30, 2008,
Page 1 of 2