Ok so I just blew 5 bucks on some new strings on some ernie ball super slinkys.

I found out quickly they're to, light, they buzz like crazy in drop C which wont work for me

I play hardcore, heavy metal, metalcore, metal, deathmetal, lots of metal.

What type of strings do you guys think I should get that is the best for those music genres?

I was thinking ernie ball skinny top heavy bottoms but ive never tried them so I dont know

thanks in advance.

~GxT
DRs. Always go with the DRs, man.

And what gauge were the Ernies? That might have something to do with it, as opposed to the brand name.
Quote by Flying Couch

And what gauge were the Ernies? That might have something to do with it, as opposed to the brand name.

well I would have known better if I knew that the Ernies were really light gauge.

the problem is it says "custom gauge" on the front and it says nowhere else what gauge it really is lol.
Here you go. And I'm pretty sure they say the guage somewhere on there. I used to use EB.

Regardless of brand, I'd recommend at least .11-.50 for Drop C.
The brand is personal prefrence. As for gauge, the heavier the better. I use EB Skinny Top Heavy Bottom or Not Even Slinkies for heavy stuff and down tuning, but even a set of power slinkies (Which i use on my les paul) is pretty good at Drop D down one half step.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Quote by GuitaristTrue
well I would have known better if I knew that the Ernies were really light gauge.

the problem is it says "custom gauge" on the front and it says nowhere else what gauge it really is lol.

It should...
What was the color of the packaging? Pink? Yellow? Orange?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
The skinny top heavy bottoms would be much better suited to a tuning like that; for most intents and purposes the brand makes little difference.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by aznrockerdude
It should...
What was the color of the packaging? Pink? Yellow? Orange?

Super slinkies are their lightest gauge. He wasn;t looking close enough, I have a pack right next to me and the gauge's are listed right below the "Earnie Ball" and right above "custom gauge"

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
The skinny top heavy bottoms would be much better suited to a tuning like that; for most intents and purposes the brand makes little difference.

I use the EB skinny top heavy bottom and play anything from standard tuning to drop C and it wokrs great on these and everythign in between. I believe the gauge is .10-.52.
Quote by zache57
I use the EB skinny top heavy bottom and play anything from standard tuning to drop C and it wokrs great on these and everythign in between. I believe the gauge is .10-.52.

You sir are correct. You can honestly get away with power slinky's in drop c, I do once in a while.

drop c.... hm people would say to use 11-50 i think. i say use 10-52. what color was the ernie ball package? if it was too light for you. i say you should use ghs boomers. they're like the highest tension strings. zakk wylde used to use them until dunlop started to make strings. i'm testing them out right now, but theyre too tense for standard tuning. yes i use 10-52 in standard
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Someone's probably already said this, but bare in mind that a guitar set-up for standard tuning won't just cope magically with dropping everything down a tone, and then dropping the sixth string down a further tone to C. It's not just about what strings you have. Adjustments to the guitar's set-up will be required to get it playing without any buzzing, and reset the intonation, etc. Even if you put the 'right' strings on for lower tunings (heavier strings, traditionally), that in itself will completely ruin your guitar's set-up. So basically, if you want to play your guitar in Drop C, there's really no getting around having to do a set-up on your guitar for that tuning.

Quote by Flying Couch

I bought some DR Blackies, and they were the worst strings I've ever put on my guitar. Felt and sounded like vomit.
i've got skinny top heavy bottoms (.010 to .052) on my electric. Might be the d'addario set thats of that gauge, can't remember

I have it tuned down a full step, drop C would be fine

either that or try the beefy slinkys if you're sticking with ernie ball (.011 to .054)
for drop c/d standard; d'addario 10-52 light top heavy bottom (you may prefer a .58 on top for the low c).

don't get ernie balls, they tend to rust up like a cunt.
I bought some DR Blackies, and they were the worst strings I've ever put on my guitar. Felt and sounded like vomit.
The Blackies are ass. Hell, coated strings in general are ass, IMO. I use Tite-fits.
Metalcore LOL

thats not metal and its not hardcore either. Its just pure gay.
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.
I love EB Beefy Slinkys for Drop Tuning (yellow pack). DR's are very average and overpriced.
Ever Dance with the Devil in The Pale Moonlight?
I know a Death Metal guitarist that swears by EB so it's not the brand, just the gauge.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
10-60 on my goldtop... GHS Boomers.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
For every step I detune, I go up a gauge. I would use 12's for drop C or C standard(I would use 11's for drop C but the low E is too loose for my tastes). You can get away with lighter gauges... if you wear unicorn t-shirts and have stuffed fairy dolls scattered around your bed. Girly man.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
Last edited by Free to Guitar at Aug 24, 2008,
Quote by Free to Guitar
For every step I detune, I go up a gauge. I would use 12's for drop C or C standard(I would use 11's for drop C but the low E is too loose for my tastes). You can get away with lighter gauges... if you wear unicorn t-shirts and have stuffed fairy dolls scattered around your bed. Girly man.

12's sound good to me too....But you could always be a manly man and play 12's in Standard like I used to. 12's or 11's should suit you perfectly in pretty much any brand. I use D'Addario Skinny top Heavy bottoms in 11 and I can get away with Drop C if I ignore the floppy high strings...
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I play 9s in Drop C and have no problems with doing so... I just like MEGA bends for t3h bl00ze.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by British_Steal
Metalcore LOL

thats not metal and its not hardcore either. Its just pure gay.

LOL ur lyk soo kewl cuz u hate metalcore.

I recommend Ernie Ball 11-54s. I used them for a while and they kick ass.