Hi, I started playing guitar about 7 months ago and bought the Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany and Love it mucho. Since the guitar is all mahogany I'm looking for a way to brighten the tone, make it a little more "cutting". I put on lighter strings and cranked the tone dials on my guitar to 10, that helped a bit but maybe there is a pedal or a (very) simple mod I could do?

Oh, I play through a Fender Frontman 25 amp and have a Johnson J-Station.

Thanks.
Turn up treble or presence. Experiment with the midrange both up and down. Cut back on the bass.

A clean boost or an overdrive pedal may help as well.
I dont know if you consider this simple but you could pull out the 500k tone pots and replace them with 1meg pots, that would brighten up your sound
Ok, you have a nice guitar, but 80-85% of the tone comes from the amp so save up some more dosh and get a decent tube amp
Really the only effective remedy will be to buy a bright amp.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
That involves messing about with wires huh? It's my only guitar and i'm kinda scared of messing it up. Any idea how much it would cost to have a pro do it? (including the price of 1 meg pots).
If you don't mind spending the money, a Metal Muff is great for the treble frequencies because of it's boost function. It's also a pretty versatile stomp, if that's what you're into.
=)

my two cents.
Changing the pots out would brighten your tone, I suppose, but is it worth changing pots on your guitar for that amp? What happens when you get an amp that suits your needs without new pots? I wouldn't want to mess around on my only guitar for an amp that isn't long term. Unless, of course, you don't plan on replacing your amp any time soon.

But that's just me...

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
If you don't mind spending the money, a Metal Muff is great for the treble frequencies because of it's boost function. It's also a pretty versatile stomp, if that's what you're into.
=)

Sounds pretty cool, does the big muff pi do the same? I'm not really much of a metal fan, just looking for a good twang and some light-medium distortion.

Any suggestions on an amp? No cash right now but maybe soon...

thanks for everyones help so far
If your tight for cash, the Peavey valveking 112 is your best bet, or look for a used Peavey classic 30 maybe, but Peavey tube amps are definitely the way to go if your on a tight budget
^Classic 30s aren't incredibly bright.

What amp you should get depends on what your budget will be, what kind of music you play, where you live, etc.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
I'm in Tucson AZ, I want a versatile amp with good cleans. I like alot of Brit rock, hard rock, still developing my style really. I would rather wait it out and get a good tube amp down the road. I guess i need a quick fix right now.
lol i like my frontman 25. not as good as my mesa for sure, but it's a good practice amp.

so new amp. hmm. maybe a fender hot rod deluxe. that's a great mp if you're not playing metal. great cleans. nice twangy overdrive. maybe you should buy an overdrive pedal?
(ts-9, MXR zakk wylde overdrive, mxr booster, boss sd just to name a few) yeah and string guage doesnt make that much of a difference. it's mostly for feel.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
eq pedal and clean boost and a bonus if you get a compressor and really crank it up, youll get bright singing sustain for ages