My Strings are breaking too often and Mostly at the bridge of my electric some people I have talked to said for me to file down the bridge but I dont know where or what to use. I know it's not the strings because I use Ernie Balls and I have Higher gauge so they wont break so often so any suggestions?
Originally posted by Beatallica_fan
next weeks installment, John tells us of the time he played in a band with Elvis's drummers, second cousins mother on harmonica and they invented grunge.
Where do the strings break? Because if they're snapping at the bridge then your bridge is actually cutting them.

And what exactly do you mean by "often"?
Quote by rebelmidget
I do believe you just used Blink 182 and hard rock in the same sentence. It would seem you're rather confused.
I have a quote in my signature! And it makes fun of blink-182! I'm cool now!

[Obligatory link to my band's MySpace]
Im not sure what bridge I have. Thats what some other people have told me that the bridge is cutting them but how do i fix it and often means like maybe 1 to 6 strings in about 5-20 days after putting them on. (Usually about 5-8 though) and this is making it very costly
next weeks installment, John tells us of the time he played in a band with Elvis's drummers, second cousins mother on harmonica and they invented grunge.
It's probably because you're left handed.

What guitar is it?
Signatures are overrated.
If you have a Floyd Rose or similar style bridge, then your bridge may be cutting them. I think that it might be your saddles that are sharp, or have sharp edges.
I have an Ibanez GRX20L and It has other problems but I have already fixed them butm y strings are breaking way to often so what are the suggestions?
DR strings?
Quote by lefthandguitar
DR strings?

Or you just forget to wipe off your strings/wahs your hands after/before practice
I don't even shred
put a small peice of sand paper in each part of your bridge ( where you first see the strings come out ). that's what the guy at my local guitar shop said when i had that problem and mine is fine now. It does have a tremolo system of some sort right? not a tune-o-matic?
Gear:
Aria lawsuit V
epiphone E-310 strat copy
peavey vypyr 15
boss blues driver II
Kramer striker 100st (invader pickup)
Randall RG50tc

EHX Metal Muff
Quote by Nebjy
Or you just forget to wipe off your strings/wahs your hands after/before practice

yes i do not wipe my strings or wash my hands but whats that have to do with
DR (<--- what are those?)strings and breaking at the bridge?
Quote by ac/dc752
put a small peice of sand paper in each part of your bridge ( where you first see the strings come out ). that's what the guy at my local guitar shop said when i had that problem and mine is fine now. It does have a tremolo system of some sort right? not a tune-o-matic?

Im not sure what bridge type it is or where i am supposed to put the sandpaper.
Last edited by lefthandguitar at Aug 24, 2008,
anyone help?
Hello. So you've got an Ibanez GRX20L, and the strings keep breaking at the bridge..? It does sound like you have poorly-finished bridge saddles, which have burrs on them which are cutting slowly into your strings. If Google Image hasn't failed me, and your guitar is this one (ignoring the colour):

Then you have what is known as a 'vintage tremolo', or 'Strat tremolo'. Basically, it's the same sort of bridge that you get on Fender Stratocasters. Here's a close-up of the saddles/bridge (of a different guitar, but it would be the same/similar on yours):

It sounds like your saddles are gradually cutting into your strings, breaking them. This would be because they're poorly-finished, and have little burrs on them. It's not an uncommon thing on cheap guitars, and your guitar is Ibanez' entry-level axe. Either take your strings off, or wait until you need to change them again. When you next have all the strings off your guitar, inspect the saddles for rough or sharp edges where the strings contact them. If there are any, filing/sanding is in order.
^ That.

And DR Strings is a brand of strings, he's trying to say Ernie Balls are rubbish, which they aren't.

It always happens.
Cam Sampbell's my hero