Okay, so my friend told me two things, that phrygian major and mixolydian flat 5 are the same as harmonic minor. so i looked at the phrygian scale, changed the minor 3rd to a major 3rd, and it completely made sense. i played with the mixolydian scale, put in a flat 5, and its not exactly harmonic minor... plus it has some chromatic stuff going on so its kinda strange. am i missing something? how is mixolydian flat 5 related to harmonic minor?
i don't know, He's probably on crack.
My sig used to be so awesome it got me banned
Quote by nirvana4lf
Okay, so my friend told me two things, that phrygian major and mixolydian flat 5 are the same as harmonic minor. so i looked at the phrygian scale, changed the minor 3rd to a major 3rd, and it completely made sense. i played with the mixolydian scale, put in a flat 5, and its not exactly harmonic minor... plus it has some chromatic stuff going on so its kinda strange. am i missing something? how is mixolydian flat 5 related to harmonic minor?

Not harmonic minor, the only thing I can think of (as I don't recall ever learning about a Mixo b5 scale) would be the fifth mode of melodic minor, which is a Mixolydian b6. The only thing I remember even related to a Mixolydian b5 would be one of the modes of a Neapolitan scale (don't remember which) that's a Mixolydian b5 b6, but those modes are absolutely wacky and your friend probably wasn't referring to them.
here are all the patterns you get when turning around the harmonic minor
1 2 b3 4 5 b6 7 - harmonic minor
1 b2 b3 4 b5 6 b7 - locrian natural 6th
1 2 3 4 #5 6 7 - ionian augmented
1 2 b3 #4 5 6 b7 - dorian #4
1 b2 3 4 5 b6 b7 - spanish phrygian/phrygian dominant/spanish gypsy/whatever
1 #2 3 #4 5 6 7 - lydian #2
1 b2 b3 b4 b5 b6 bb7 - altered diminished seventh

I don't see no mixolydian b5
Quote by one vision
Harmonic minor is phrygian dominant, if that's what you meant by phrygian major..?

yeah that is what i meant, i guess i needa learn the right terms for it haha

anyways, i realized that the second half is just wrong, he prolly remembered wrong. the only way i realized to derive the harmonic minor from mixolydian would be to raise the root note i.e. if we took G mixolydian, raised the G into a G# you would have A harmonic minor