ok. what is a good wood to make a pedalboard out of? i never got a real wood species.
also, is plexiglass a good option? i think it is cool and looks kickass. i believe it's really light and strong at the same time too. better than wood or no?

EDIT:
so i cant really do the plexiglass with led's/neons. so if anyone wants to try, please post pics and proccess here and gimme some props
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Last edited by apak at Aug 26, 2008,
I think it depends on how thick you're talking - if it's thick enough I'd imagine it'd be fine, but too thin and theres the danger of stepping/setting/dropping something on it and cracking it. I believe plywood is a popular option - cover it in carpet or tolex and no one needs know it's ply
most go with ply, cheap and strong, and you're going to cover it or paint it anyways so it's a pretty big waste of money to buy something nice looking.
imma paint it. how's half an inch thick. im looking at 12"x 20"ishx 1/2"
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
actually about that size plexi is about 20 bucks. iono about ply wood. probably cheaper. but which performs better?
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
plex would look better, plus you can stick led s in it and have a glowing pedal board
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Quote by rancidryan
plex would look better, plus you can stick led s in it and have a glowing pedal board

sick!!
Quote by rancidryan

+1
Quote by rancidryan

rofl. thatll look ****ing awesome as ****. how the hell would i do that? i guess i have a way to power it but to put led's into the board?
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
rofl. thatll look ****ing awesome as ****. how the hell would i do that? i guess i have a way to power it but to put led's into the board?

Lol, wheres Invader Jim when you need him?
Quote by the_strikes

HERE I AM!

Oh wait, i'm not Invader Jim
My mistake.

I think that having a plexi pedal board would be great, but if you use screws, it could look really bad.
I don't remember where I was,
When I realized life was a game.
The more seriously I took things,
The harder the rules became.
Well I think if you use the least amount of screw as possible (while keeping structurally sound) and if you add led's, no one will notice the screws too much. I made my board out of.. hrm, I can't remember, It was either plywood or particle board? I nabbed it from a friends place, really heavy, durable stuff. Plexi with led's would be very space rockish me thinks.
Quote by the_strikes

+1
Yeah he's always got the right answer for you projects. Gotta love it when someone makes a ceramic guitar. Then decides thats not enought and then makes more.
Hearing about a pair of great boobs is like hearing about a really cool bug or lizard as a kid and you just gotta see it.
Oh with plexi you wouldn't need screws just super glue it after sanding the seams a bit for more adhersion.
Hearing about a pair of great boobs is like hearing about a really cool bug or lizard as a kid and you just gotta see it.
hmmm maybe i can do it liek this:
1 get a sheet
2 add two "legs"as in two long rectangular sticks on either side so the sheet is off the ground by like an inch.
3 add led's under it. or better yet.. neons. but neons are expensive..
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
You could always cheap out... Go to the dollar store before gigs, get a bunch of those glow sticks.... Win.
if you do this, POST PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
i want to, but i dont have the time and money. yet. it isnt practical either. anyone wanna give it a try? post pics here please. and gimme props
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
I'd say a matching guitar would be awesome. Although would that really work?
they make acrylic guitars with led's and lasers its dumb
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
I think there has to be a certain amount or restraint for those things. If you just kinda throw all these lights together it'll look like a rainbow threw up. It would be the equivalence to turning all the knobs to ten.
i just mean a few like blue and white led's or some neons. like on cars.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
I would go with Burch. Cheap and easy to work with. I would stay away from MDF.

Did you mean like a more exotic wood that would look appealing when oiled, lets say?
Quote by Merdesa
I'd say a matching guitar would be awesome. Although would that really work?

One guitar in mind with leds in it already: Steve Vai Jem 20th aniversery acrylic swirl.
Quote by apak
i just mean a few like blue and white led's or some neons. like on cars.

why not just get the plexi glass, make a right triangle box, (i find it more comfortable for expression pedals, like wah and stuff) then put on sides, shove christmas tree lights (led ones) in it, then plug it into the power supply, cheap easy and effective. (plus you can get like more than one set or set them up to flash and stuff)
Quote by aaron6890
why not just get the plexi glass, make a right triangle box, (i find it more comfortable for expression pedals, like wah and stuff) then put on sides, shove christmas tree lights (led ones) in it, then plug it into the power supply, cheap easy and effective. (plus you can get like more than one set or set them up to flash and stuff)

christmas lights have green wires. the bulbs are colored. led's dont have colored bulbs so it looks cooler when it's off. and you can get clear wires. not see through but you can just see the copper wire inside the translucent rubber
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by dogismycopilot
I would go with Burch. Cheap and easy to work with. I would stay away from MDF.

Did you mean like a more exotic wood that would look appealing when oiled, lets say?

birch is strong? i mena. easy to work with is no deal. i can just use the tools at home depot to cut it to size. i wnat something strong but not so brittle. maybe put aluminum around the edges if i can buy something like that.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
christmas lights have green wires. the bulbs are colored. led's dont have colored bulbs so it looks cooler when it's off. and you can get clear wires. not see through but you can just see the copper wire inside the translucent rubber

fine, go to ikea and pick up an led strip they have them, their just a long row of leds used to illuminate book shelves, and i think they come in other colors.

also led christmas lights would still work, they make the white wired ones for outside
Quote by aaron6890
fine, go to ikea and pick up an led strip they have them, their just a long row of leds used to illuminate book shelves, and i think they come in other colors.

also led christmas lights would still work, they make the white wired ones for outside

but the lights are white. led's are cheap. theyre like 2 bucks each. in bulk it's waaay cheaper. but i still dont have cash which is why i want someone else to try
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
If I didn't just build my board just 9 months ago, I would take a stab at the plexi glass. It would be pretty cool, and you wouldn't have to really think of a felt or carpet cover for board. but It also might not stay so nice and pretty, I can't imagine it to be sparkling crystal clear forever...
i think it will if you like windex it every so often. and what do you mean by carpet? do people put carpet on theyre boards for the velcro or something? i would just screw my pedals into the board
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Well I've heard of carpet, I got some fabric kinda stuff for mine. It's a little more presentable than the wood, but the wood I used wasn't pretty, so I felt I had to.

One problem I could see with screwing the pedals to the board, is the removal of them, or addition of new pedals; most pedals have that rubbery bottom to it, so I never found them slipping around as long as you don't kick them, or walk farther than your cord (I've pulled the first pedal off once or twice that way).
I wouldn't put too many leds or neon on it though, especially if its plexi. pedalboard + effects + plus bright lights = hard to see which effect your stepping on.
Quote by EvoXM
I wouldn't put too many leds or neon on it though, especially if its plexi. pedalboard + effects + plus bright lights = hard to see which effect your stepping on.

hm good observation. then i can use led colors that my pedals dont have, like green, yellow, orange, white
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
My suggestion...
If you use Plexi, cut a few small holes (5mm) and stick some LEDs (5000mcd or greater) in the holes. Then the edges of the plexi will glow. You need to also sand the side of the LED.
Saw some guy on another board do it with a pedal and looks really cool.
use an old suitcase
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"