We all know that light travels ****ing fast. When you turn on a flash light, does the light shoot out starting at 0 km/h and work up to its max speed in a time too short to imagine, or does it just start at whatever speed it is?

And, if light isn't really what I think it is, excuse my ignorance.
In empty space, light always travels at the same speed c and so does not accelerate up to this speed from rest. From the moment it is generated, it moves at c.
(The speed of light is 299,792,458 m/s.)
Light I believe doesn't accelerate to a speed. Light is always the speed of light. I heard somewhere that even if you were traveling at half the speed of light, if someone were to shine light past you, you wouldn't see it creep up and pass you. It would just be past you, just as it would if you were standing still.
We all know that light travels ****ing fast

dude it like travuls at the sped of light
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
E= mc2 basically says that light is constant and doesn't accelerate, because if it did, then for the split second that it is at 0m/s, E would = 0, no matter what mass was equal to, then a split second later E would = *insert large number here*. Something along those lines anyway, I'm really tired.
Quote by KnownUnknown
If it passes through your shirt or something like that I think it can slow down.

No, it is a constant.
Einstein's Special Theory of Relativity states in one of his postulates that the speed of light is fixed at a constant. That means that no, it doesn't accelerate or decelerate, or change at all, ever . The speed of light is also independent from the motion of the source of light. Meaning if a parked car shined its light at you down the street you would measure that light as having the exact same speed as a car driving down the street at 100 km/h that shined its lights.
No, you're all wrong I'm afraid. Light is ever changing it's speed depending upon what medium it travels through. In empty space that is 3 * 10 ^8 ms^-1. In solid sodium at about 4 K, that's about 300 mph. In glass, it goes about half as fast as in empty space (vacuum). Also, it doesn't accelerate, or decelerate, it just changes its speed in the instant it crosses into a different medium. And, particles of light don't even go in straight lines (usually)!
---------------------------
Quote by Blastiiid
And if you were AT the speed of light, and turned on a flashlight, there would be no light!

WAT? Y?
Jackson Soloist SL-3
Squire Strat
Crate XT120R
Marshall JH-1 Jackhammer
Dunlop Crybaby
yeah .. well know one rele knows do we ... i think the theory is that no matter what speed u are going compared to the ligh sourcce , if u measur the speed of light it will always b the same... constant... ****ed up isnt it
yes and liek sumone jsut said this all depens on the the light is in a voacum ie travaling though nothing
I Shit You Not
Last edited by Huffman at Aug 23, 2008,
Quote by Huffman
so i had not idea what to put here... but i figured that if i made it rele big assed then ppl would read it no matter what and if your reading this... i win! hazza

I think this, combined with your post, means that no-one listened to anything you just said.
Quote by Huffman
yeah .. well know one rele knows do we ... i think the theory is that no matter what speed u are going compared to the ligh sourcce , if u measur the speed of light it will always b the same... constant... ****ed up isnt it
yes and liek sumone jsut said this all depens on the the light is in a voacum ie travaling though nothing

Sweet merciful motherfucking hell. That is atrocious.

What it should be:

Quote by Huffman
Yeah, well no-one really knows. I think the theory is that no matter what speed you are going compared to the light source, if you measure the speed of light it will always be the same (constant) Fucked up isnt it?
And like someone just said, this all depends on if the light is in a vacuum (i.e. travelling though nothing)

The speed of light isn't affected by matter (like a shirt). It's just that the atoms in the shirt absorb the light and then emit light with a delay. That doesn't change the speed of light. It's like if you run at 10 mph (you don't accelerate) and stop a few times for water and the keep running. Your running speed isn't any different, it just takes you longer to reach your goal depending on how many times you stop.
Well what I do get is how something can suddenly go that fast. Is light atoms, or what? I asked all these questions to my grade 10 science teacher but she's a bitch and didn't answer and told me to go look it up myself, my guess is cause she didn't know herself.
Quote by Thornography
Well what I do get is how something can suddenly go that fast. Is light atoms, or what? I asked all these questions to my grade 10 science teacher but she's a bitch and didn't answer and told me to go look it up myself, my guess is cause she didn't know herself.

Photons.
Quote by Thornography

Light isn't made of atoms, it's made of photons which travel in a wave.

EDIT:

Quote by SuperDuper Phil
No, you're all wrong I'm afraid. Light is ever changing it's speed depending upon what medium it travels through. In empty space that is 3 * 10 ^8 ms^-1. In solid sodium at about 4 K, that's about 300 mph. In glass, it goes about half as fast as in empty space (vacuum). Also, it doesn't accelerate, or decelerate, it just changes its speed in the instant it crosses into a different medium. And, particles of light don't even go in straight lines (usually)!

Light doesn't need a medium to travel and it isn't hindered by what it hits (except perhaps a black hole, which is still completely theoretical) it will reflect off of any object it hits without any reduced speed, the speed of light is a constant.

Light doesn't go in a straight line, it goes in a wave, it's part of the electromagnetic spectrum and all of those go in a wave, from gamma to radio waves.
Last edited by XianXiuHong at Aug 23, 2008,
Could you imagine traveling a little slower than light, and watching it pass you slowly?

Man...

But no, it doesn't accelerate.
Plays:
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6 FR Limited
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
'66 Hagstrom Viking I (customized)
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
Quote by Fryer Mike
Could you imagine traveling a little slower than light, and watching it pass you slowly?

Man...

But no, it doesn't accelerate.

You can never be side by side with light, even when traveling at the same speed, you cannot catch up to light.
Quote by XianXiuHong
You can never be side by side with light, even when traveling at the same speed, you cannot catch up to light.

And how would you know?
Plays:
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6 FR Limited
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
'66 Hagstrom Viking I (customized)
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
because then you would be travelling too fast for the light to go into your eyes and see it. Durr!!