Hi guys I'm new to this community and I'm starting to get frustrated trying to play metal songs. I'm a power metal lover, but except for Hunting High and Low all the other songs from other bands seem to be nearly impossible. So I would like to do something like Guitar Hero, like playing the easiest songs first and then the really tough ones, but I got no clue on where to start. Are there any easy metal songs I could start with? Some songs I can play, but when it comes the solo, there goes it. I also can't afford guitar lessons, I've only taken 7 months and could not play a single song from the start to the end. Could someone help me?

Thanks a lot in advance.
Trust me on this, don't worry about solos. Practice rhythm and lead will come.

Also, you might think a song is too hard to learn, but all you really need to do is practice. Then, after lots of practice, record it. Listen to it, see where you need improvement, then save it, so you can actually see how much better you get over time.

Also, when I first started. I picked out guitar riffs that I really loved and practiced the hell out of them. The first full song I learned was Iron Man, without the solos of course. I still don't know the solo 100%, but I can improvise along the same scale.
Last edited by xHellbound at Aug 23, 2008,
Quote by postmortem2006
Man you really suck.

Symphony of Destruction by Megadeth, if you can't play that then give up

*Reported*

TS: Don't worry, power metal is a difficult genre in general. As mentioned above, work on rhythm guitar first; learn some simple riffs and rhythm parts from bands you like. Metallica would be a good place to start for some solid groundwork in metal rhythm guitar. The rest will come with time, don't worry.

And welcome to UG, not everyone behaves like postmortem2006.
I would look into download Guitar Pro. It will have a MIDI version of the song, WITH tabs, that you can slow down as much as you want. You can put it at 1 bpm if that's what you need. When I can't figure out a song, I find the PT of it, slow it down, master it at half speed, and go up by 5 bpm until it's perfect.
^This is very practical, useful, and helpful advice. Do that. There are "alternative" ways to get Guitar Pro that I can't mention here, but if you want it bad enough I'm sure you'll find it.

As for easy power metal, check out some HammerFall rhythm sections. They aren't overly hard and neither are their solos from what I've payed attention to. When you get good try some Luca Turilli.
There aren't really any "easy" metal songs in the greater scheme of guitar playing, you need to work your way up to that kind of stuff by learning easier things first.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by :-D
*Reported*

TS: Don't worry, power metal is a difficult genre in general. As mentioned above, work on rhythm guitar first; learn some simple riffs and rhythm parts from bands you like. Metallica would be a good place to start for some solid groundwork in metal rhythm guitar. The rest will come with time, don't worry.

And welcome to UG, not everyone behaves like postmortem2006.

+1. And to the reported guy: come on, that was pretty unasked for, there's no need for that dude.
You are like a hurricane
There's calm in your eye.
And I'm gettin' blown away
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
Offtopic: Megadeth isn't even power metal, dammit. But agreed, Symphony of destruction's pretty easy for them.

Ontopic:
Solos are a real b***h to get into. I'd personally start with something really easy like Iron Man, Symphony of Destruction (it's pretty easy as fo' real solos go), but myself I went right in at the deep end... the last solo from One. If you've got the perseverance to get through something like that as your 1st solo, you're going places.
Thank you everyone for the support, it's good to know I can count on you guys. Well I do have guitar pro, but I don't know a simple song to start practicing, I can play solos when they are really slow, but when I try to reach the right beat i just can't do it. Like paranoid for example, I believe the song is 124 bps, I can play the solo until 90 and from there on I start cutting notes and the solo loses the brightness. I really would like to know which songs are easy and with a few practice and can reach the normal speed. I've never tried symphony of destruction, maybe it's worth giving it a shot right?
+1 for guitar pro :P

But yeah, guitar pro is a BIG help- it can play back the tab at any speed you want, even loop the same section and gradually get faster, which is more or less what you need to do. Songs can get overwhelming, but you just need to break them down into sections and practice them all one by one, starting at a speed you feel comfortable with.
......... because here at mcdonald's our special ingredient is our people...
Try learning Paranoid by Black Sabbath, it's a really easy song, solo is very easy, and you can practice singing while playing
Amorphis
Quote by iceman_8319
The human eye only captures a certain amount frames per second.
By the time you've read this post, 3 ninjas have had sex in front of you.

Ozzy - paranoid and iron man are great like the above guys said

Metallica - Enter sandman minus the solo

Metallica - for whom the bell toll is also good for alt picking thats not to fast and also lots of palm muted rythem and their is no solo.

Judas Priest - Living after midnight that ones really easy

I wouldnt bother with solos untill you mastered the **** out of palm muted rythem metal riffing and playing through some songs rythem part only in full nailing it.
Quote by sglover34479
Yeah some people on here are jerks but most of us are reasonable if you just have a little patience. Anyways I can;t play much but I'm learning.

At least he's banned now though.
hey man im in the same situation as you a beginner and frustrated, this guitar pro thing people keep talking about seems like heaven..... how do you get it?

by the way thanks to the people who help the newbs, you guys are awesome
I would start learning some metallica stuff, first stuff off the black album to get started, then some of their earlier stuff to pick up speed, before moving on to power metal.

What I'm also doing at the moment is playing all scales and modes as well as various licks and patterns really slowly for hours at a time, to get it really into muscle memory; eventually, you can then play everything much faster, so maybe you'd want to try that with some of the riffs in your favourite songs.
Isnt there a helloween song that you like? The majority of their music seems pretty easy (and damn effective, such underrated genious's)
Metallica is a really great place to start. I'd recommend songs like For Whom The Bell Tolls and Enter Sandman(Minus the solo) to begin with. Once you can play those songs you can try out The Four Horsemen and Master of puppets (at least the intro riff, the second "spider" riff might be a bit hard but should be great practice)

You might wanna check out Iron Man and Paranoid by Black Sabbath aswell.