Summary on the last paragraph. Kinda.

Let me start off with a little history; I started playing guitar six years ago and have been in love with it since. It started out with rock, classic rock in particular. I played that and doodled around with the blues and a little bit of pop.

Then, a couple years ago, I started to drift away from rock and started to like her aggressive brother - metal - more and more. I've been loving it ever since I heard Meshuggah.

Now we're here and now, I got back from a three day long electronic music festival, also known as a rave. And I'm in love. Again. There's nothing quite like the feeling of leaning against and eight-foot tall wall of subwoofers while fubar. Nothing can beat that vibration!

I got home a couple weeks ago and I've barely touched my guitar or listened to much metal. Really, what's the point? I have noone to play with, or even play to. It's just me and my guitar (small town).

So, has anything like this happened to anyone else? Like when you spend almost a third of your life with something, when there's been something way better under your nose the whole time? You realise that you've spent so much time doing something that, in a single weekend, you notice how lame it is?

I'm not triing to start a flamewar against metal. I still like it, but it's drifting away from me. Thoughts? Comments?
Last edited by mr.happyman at Aug 23, 2008,
Well you see, I never suffocate myself within just one "genre" of music. Instead I allow myself to be based in every style under the sun. A mix of influences creates a greater and more detailed pallette, painting a beautiful picture of.. music.

I guess I got carried away.

incase of tl;dr, no.
Quote by FbSa
Back in the 70's I decided to take all the frets off Jaco's Bass thinking he would play worse. Man did that backfire.

[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']FUCK YES.

GSAWS, I LOVE YOU.
Quote by Gsaws
Well you see, I never suffocate myself within just one "genre" of music. Instead I allow myself to be based in every style under the sun. A mix of influences creates a greater and more detailed pallette, painting a beautiful picture of.. music.

+ 1

And I also agree with Royal Celebi
u were never truly into metal
Quote by darkstar2466
Leniency? In the metal forum? This is unheard of. People get massacred here for just walking by.
Quote by Royal Celebi
Combine your love for metal and your love for Electronica.

I don't know quite why, and I don't really care how, but for some reason, those words of wisdom just inspired me to write what may be the best song I will ever write. thank you Royal Celeb.
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
Downtempo electronica takes the cake. I'm not a big fan of trance of cheesy dance anthems.

Metal though....the only genre I can't listen to at all. Doesn't do anything for me.

Anyway, good on you for expanding your tastes. There's no reason why guitarists can't listen to non guitar music.
Quote by Royal Celebi

Actually, don't. Listen to whatever you like, but don't inflict that on the world.
Quote by Gsaws

I know what you mean but there's only so much you can do by yourselfI've still been listening to alittle metal and playing my guitar a little. It's just frustrating to spend a couple years obsessed with something, then over a weekend it loses appeal. See what I'm getting at? It just shows how cool metal really is.
Quote by muse-ik
I don't know quite why, and I don't really care how, but for some reason, those words of wisdom just inspired me to write what may be the best song I will ever write. thank you Royal Celeb.

You are quite welcome!
Quote by Beakwithteeth
That would be awesome though. Asshole.

Just listen to bong ra, ****mat and enduser.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
I play my guitar TO electronic music.

And I want to rave so bad. There was a really lame one that I went to but it was schoo sponsered which means nothing fun could happen.

See my avatar.
Quote by Royal Celebi

sounds bad ass
Quote by RU Experienced?
I like staring at girls' boobs and seeing how long it takes them to say something and what their reaction is. It's win-win-win

Quote by darkstar2466
I once saw two snails fuck. It was pretty damn cool.
You could just be in awe because you locked yourself completely into ne genre and didnt expand beyond its horizons. Therefore the electronic music, was almost like a new breath of life compared to your restricted world before it.

Moral of the story. Broaden your horizons
If you wanna be one of those scene kids who keep bragging on about how they like to rave then you're sad.

If not, electronic music rocks!!
I make electronic music. But i haven't gotten rid of my guitar for that. I'm sorta into the industrial/electronic thing...
But i have pretty much stopped listening to metal and i've been listening to more and more electronic artists lately like UNKLE, MSI, Imogen Heap, Aphex Twin n all.
But i do listen to other genre's that have guitars too...

Quote by Royal Celebi

And thats how you end up with Industrial!

Well, thats how i ended up with my love for Industrial music. Find all sorts of heavy synths and samples, lay them out and throw an insanely distorted guitar over the track. Then distort the whole track again till you feel you can't distort it anymore, then add a bit more distortion to it for some good measure.
Last edited by af_the_fragile at Aug 24, 2008,