Does anyone know what key and scales steve vai is using in for the love of god solo?
Judging by the chords, it seems to be be in the "key" of E Phrygian. Eminadd9 is the primary chord, with F∆7#4 (characteristic of Lydian) and Amin9.

As for the solo, do you have a specific section in mind? He adds a decent amount of E minor pentatonic and chromatic stuff if I remember correctly.
Quote by TheShred201
Judging by the chords, it seems to be be in the "key" of E Phrygian. Eminadd9 is the primary chord, with F∆7#4 (characteristic of Lydian) and Amin9.

As for the solo, do you have a specific section in mind? He adds a decent amount of E minor pentatonic and chromatic stuff if I remember correctly.

That's right. He also plays some licks in E Aeolian over the E minor chord.
Eminadd9 is the primary chord

This would not suggest phrygian, and would, in fact, rule it out.
If I recall correctly, the vast majority of the song is in E minor, with a few modulations during the solo (including the use of phrygian).
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Hmm...I completely didn't realize that, though the F∆7#4 seems very Lydian (as a chord, not making the progression lydian), which is where I got my idea. I didn't even think about the fact that the main chord had an F instead of an F#. Oh well. Good catch AA.