Sorry if there are already threads on this, if there are tell me and i'll remove this.

I was looking around for a new guitar, and I'd quite like a Gibson Les Paul. I'm fairly naive when it comes to them. The cheapest I can find one on the internet is 1400 pounds, or around 3000 dollars. Is that the reasonable price for one? Or am I just not looking hard enough?
Are these guitars that good? Is it worth getting one?
Any help would be appreciated.
Reasonable price? No. Is it the price Gibson charges for one? Yes. While the guitars are great its not worth the actual price.
1200usd new for a studio i think
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Martin DC-16RE Premium

Fender Snakeskin Champ 12
Epiphone Les Paul Customs are actually pretty nice and play well for far less $$$ than a Gibson LP.
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
2000 US dollars for a standard on musicansfriend.com- thats reasonable.
Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"

The absolute cheapest one you can buy here is a vintage mahogany ($900) but i think it's guitar center/musicians friend exclusive. After that, the gibson les paul studio is $1.2k+
That's USD btw.
Quote by Sam_Prillaman

Don't buy a Studio. I hate mine.
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
If the guitar wasn't worked on its a fair price. What year is it? What model (Custom, Standard, DeLuxe, Recording, Special, Junior, "The Paul", reissue, etc.)
Buying an epiphone is like buying a ship with holes in the sail and in the wood.

You can find Gibson les paul's standard (which are the best imo) for around 1,500$ which is a good price.

You can find them used, which isn't too bad either.

Trust me, made in USA with the finest materials, better machines, better craftsmanship will be better than any thing made in china epiphone.
Quote by RickDe
If the guitar wasn't worked on its a fair price. What year is it? What model (Custom, Standard, DeLuxe, Recording, Special, Junior, "The Paul", reissue, etc.)

Was a standard 60's model for 1400 pounds. But if the Epiphone is just as good then i'd be happy to stick with that one. Certainly a lot easier on the bank account...
Quote by nan0
Buying an epiphone is like buying a ship with holes in the sail and in the wood.

You can find Gibson les paul's standard (which are the best imo) for around 1,500$ which is a good price.

You can find them used, which isn't too bad either.

Trust me, made in USA with the finest materials, better machines, better craftsmanship will be better than any thing made in china epiphone.

Epiphone Elitists are made in Japan and pwn the shit out of anything Gibson puts out that isn't custom shop.
lp studios are $1,119 i think, epiphone elitists are probably nicer though
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Quote by CrimboJones
The cheapest I can find one on the internet is 1400 pounds, or around 3000 dollars.
When you're talking about guitars, you can't do the usual £1=$2 thing, because the dealers themselves don't do it. What we pay £1400, America pays $1400 for. What we pay £800 for, America pays $800 for. You get the idea. Yes, this does me we're often paying twice what Ameria does. Yes that sucks. That's just how it is though.

Quote by Sam_Prillaman
The new Studios are awful.

Quote by FireandFlames
Epiphone Elitist > Most Gibby LP's that aren't custom shops
While this is true, this person evidently lives in the UK, and you can't buy Elitists in the UK.importing isn't much of an option either since the only one store in the world that is legally allowed to import Elitists to the UK is a Japanese store which charges so much for importing one, it actually ends up costing as much as a Gibson Custom Shop VOS 59 Les Paul.

Anyway, yes the best you'll do is you can get Standards/Classic/Classic Antiques/Traditionals on GAK for between £1200 and £1500 (depends what finish you go for - they're all the same quality, just different neck profile, pickup and finish configerations).

Alternatively, Tokai have a new dealer set up not to distribute in the UK, so in many stores now, since they're no longer allowed to stock Gibson or Epiphones (only three stores in the whole country are allowed to stock them now - one of them being GAK, which is also the cheapest), stores are selling Tokai LP copies instead of Gibson and Epiphone. Tokai are around the quality of an Epiphone Elitist or Gibson LP Standard, cost about the same (they cost a bit more than an Elitist, but less than a Gibson, and in terms of build quality it's a little worse than an Elitist but better than a Gibson Standard) and they do have some custom services and options too if you want something more special and don't mind paying a little more. I would suggest looking into Tokai LP copies before you commit to buying a Gibson or Epiphone.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble

While this is true, this person evidently lives in the UK, and you can't buy Elitists in the UK.importing isn't much of an option either since the only one store in the world that is legally allowed to import Elitists to the UK is a Japanese store which charges so much for importing one, it actually ends up costing as much as a Gibson Custom Shop VOS 59 Les Paul.

Anyway, yes the best you'll do is you can get Standards/Classic/Classic Antiques/Traditionals on GAK for between £1200 and £1500 (depends what finish you go for - they're all the same quality, just different neck profile, pickup and finish configerations).

Alternatively, Tokai have a new dealer set up not to distribute in the UK, so in many stores now, since they're no longer allowed to stock Gibson or Epiphones (only three stores in the whole country are allowed to stock them now - one of them being GAK, which is also the cheapest), stores are selling Tokai LP copies instead of Gibson and Epiphone. Tokai are around the quality of an Epiphone Elitist or Gibson LP Standard, cost about the same (they cost a bit more than an Elitist, but less than a Gibson, and in terms of build quality it's a little worse than an Elitist but better than a Gibson Standard) and they do have some custom services and options too if you want something more special and don't mind paying a little more. I would suggest looking into Tokai LP copies before you commit to buying a Gibson or Epiphone.

ahh i wasn't aware TS was in the UK. whoops.
It's fine, it only started recently anyway. Up until a few months ago, we could buy all Gibsons and Epiphones no problem. Then Gibson decided that they wanted even more money, so they set up a very stupid licensing system that means they can dictate a minimum price for all their products (which pisses off the small local stores because they won't be able to sell to their local customers at those prices Gibson insists on having), and that stores have to pay Gibson £36,000 a year just to be allowed to stock Gibson products (the average person in the UK earns under £25,000 per year).

Obviously, most stores can't afford this even if they wanted to. So, now out of all of Europe, there is one store in the UK that stocks Gibson and Epiphone (but not the Elitist line...), two more in the UK that stock Epiphone (but not Elitists), one store in Germany that stocks Gibson and Epiphone but can't deliver outside of Germany, and two stores in Norway that stock both Gibson and Epiphone and will also deliver to a couple of other surrounding countries but not to most of Europe. And the three UK stores are all online-based, so 'try before you buy' isn't a viable option either.

That's it now, that's our entire selection of Gibson and Epiphone supplies out of all of Europe. It's completely retarded.

So really... yeah, if you want a Gibson LP (or a decent Epiphone) and you're in the UK or really most parts of Europe... you're almost completely stuffed.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
They're getting worse - apparently a local chain near me is no longer stocking them because Gibson wanted them to devote 40% of their display space to Gibson/Epiphone products and they said "sod off."
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by FireandFlames
Epiphone Elitist > Most Gibby LP's that aren't custom shops

Come on man... Epi Elitist is around the level of Gibby Standard and you know that. Hold on to a Supreme and u'll know the different.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by steven seagull
They're getting worse - apparently a local chain near me is no longer stocking them because Gibson wanted them to devote 40% of their display space to Gibson/Epiphone products and they said "sod off."

Well the rimmers music in leyland have devoted the 40% wall space. I see you are in southport- has that rimmers done it?
guitar village in farnham sell gibson and epiphone; thats where i got my epi les paul custom
yes all six strings buzz !! but it`s unique isn`t it
Quote by cerveza
Don't buy a Studio. I hate mine.

can i has plz? i love the feel of the les paul studio!
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by CrimboJones
Sorry if there are already threads on this, if there are tell me and i'll remove this.

I was looking around for a new guitar, and I'd quite like a Gibson Les Paul. I'm fairly naive when it comes to them. The cheapest I can find one on the internet is 1400 pounds, or around 3000 dollars. Is that the reasonable price for one? Or am I just not looking hard enough?
Are these guitars that good? Is it worth getting one?
Any help would be appreciated.

OK, well I've played lots of Gibsons, and myself own a limited edition Gibson Les Paul worth £2,000 (probably more now, it went out of production ages ago). For a start, no, they are not worth the money. If you are a beginner (which you sound like you are), then you totally should not even be considering one. If it's got to be a Les Paul, there are many good cheap knock-offs you should be looking at. I heartily recommend a pre-2004 Korean-made Epiphone (the current Chinese ones are crap), or something like a Vintage, or a low-end Tokai, or anything along those lines. If I've got you all wrong and you're not a beginner- Gibsons are really nice, but they're not worth the cash. That doesn't mean you shouldn't buy one, but consider it heavily before you do. There's a good likelihood that you'll regret it. If in doubt, go for a cheap copy, for now.
Quote by supergerbil
Well the rimmers music in leyland have devoted the 40% wall space. I see you are in southport- has that rimmers done it?

yep, even if southport don't, could be worth a trip to sunny leyland for a look, always a good stock of gibbo's in there.

about 3-4 years ago i managed to knock them down a bit too, a brand new ebony SG special for about £480, so don't be afraid to haggle.

Its years since i've been in except just a quick look and buy picks / strings, but back then they seemed to be a good shop.

And back on topic i love my LP studio, although i understand most on here hate them. Mines old and well used though
Back To Beginner After Years of No Strumming Also Bass Learner

U-G nooB

Sunn Mustang owners- Go Here! Sunn Mustang Owners Group!
I'd heard they weren't going to do it, haven't been in for a while though....I see Dolphin have stopped stocking them.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com