is it just a normal cable??? can you use one of thoese midget small cables that are meant for connecting pedals
Quote by Acquiescence
is the speaker cable the same thing as a guitar cable though?
No it isn't.
hey do most half stacks come with the speaker cable? i would assume they do but i've never bought one.
dave matthews might.. just.. be.. god..

Quote by gregs1020
yes, pointing it at your head will send the sound towards your head.

it's the same with guns too, before you go testing that one.
People may use a guitar cable, but I gather they aren't screened enough? I've heard it said that Jimi Hendrix at the Isle of Wight festival in 1970 had thinner guitar cables connecting the heads to the cabs, and this is what caused him to pick up radio and stuff.
The cable used for instruments and speakers is completely different. Using the wrong one can cause damage, and result in interference and such.

Most commercial speaker cables are cheap rubbish. So bad that we make out own at work with a short length of Van Damme Cable (VDC) and 2 neutrix jack connectors. Really makes a difference to have a quality cable.
Quote by Dave_Mc
how do those marshall handles compare tonewise to, say, mesa handles?

Owns a Blackheart Little Giant...
Quote by Acquiescence
is the speaker cable the same thing as a guitar cable though?

no, speaker cable is much thicker wire, and it's unshielded. Speaker cable is usually 2 intertwined conductors, usually 16awg or less, and covered with a PVC jacket. Instrument cable is usually 18awg or higher, with a braided shield that acts as the ground rail. It has layers of insulation and foil shielding that help with noise.

Speaker cable carries high current to transfer power to the speaker motors. It doesn't need shielding, that's why the wire gauge is so thick. Even though it's nearly the same size as instrument cable, the cable is mostly copper wire instead of insulation and shielding. Instrument cable carries a very low power line level signal, and is therefore very susceptible to noise, so it's shielded.

If you tried to use speaker cable for an instrument, it would be very noisy because it has no shielding from outside noise. If you use instrument cable for speaker cable, you risk shorting the core conductor with the shield because of the very thin gauge wire. It's not meant to carry large amperage, so it can heat up and fail. You also introduce increased capacitance, power loss, and damping degradation because of the much higher impedance of the thin gauge conductor.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
I have a Planet waves speaker cable which is great. Gold tips with the spring lock.

I also have an 8 gauge Yorkville speaker cable that is super thick. It's as thick as my index finger!
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Meddled
People may use a guitar cable, but I gather they aren't screened enough? I've heard it said that Jimi Hendrix at the Isle of Wight festival in 1970 had thinner guitar cables connecting the heads to the cabs, and this is what caused him to pick up radio and stuff.
I has nothing to do with being screened. A guitar cable is a low power conductor. Put your amp output into it and you'll melt the cable at best. Destroy your amp at worst.

You won't pick up radio signals on your speaker wire because it's low impedance and high current. A radio signal would not be heard if picked up by the speaker wire.
I normally use speaker cable but I have used regular instrument cables before and had no problems - didn't pick up any unwanted noises or anything...

My friend has been using a regular instrument cable for his half stack for about 5 years now and has never encountered a single problem.

However, you should just play it safe and get yourself a speaker cable. Just because one person crashes into a wall going 90mph and lives doesn't mean everyone will have the same results!
Quote by i_am_metalhead
I normally use speaker cable but I have used regular instrument cables before and had no problems - didn't pick up any unwanted noises or anything...

My friend has been using a regular instrument cable for his half stack for about 5 years now and has never encountered a single problem.

However, you should just play it safe and get yourself a speaker cable. Just because one person crashes into a wall going 90mph and lives doesn't mean everyone will have the same results!
That's too bad, because your friend doesn't realize how much better his amp could sound with proper signal transfer. You know, cause he's been using an instrument cable for so long.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
You can also just use an electricity cable if you're short on cash.
Also if you play at low volumes using an (quality) instrument cable is ok, but I wouldn't use it live or during band practice.
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
I can't believe how non chalant so many people are about using proper speaker cable.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION