I get the hang of what I'm supposed to do: equalize the tension between the strings and the springs in the back of the guitar.

What I've been doing is tuning in a zig zag pattern: (6 and 1, then 5 and 2, then finally 4 and 3, with 6 being low E and 1 being high E).

However, the problem lies in once I get the strings (6 and 1 for example) all in tune, the moment I go to tune another set (say 5 and 2) the 6 and 1 strings go out of tune. So I go back, tune 6, 1, then 5 and 2 again, so 4 strings are in tune.

I have to do the same with the 4 and 3 string, however the string tension seems to be through the roof by the time I'm done, and I feel as though my string is about to snap. Not to mention that I have to lower the bridge, which will create more tension on the strings in order to make the FR parallel with the guitar.

Is there a better way of doing this?
Block the trem cavity with a 9v or something similar and tune it. You need to loosen or tighten the spring plate enough so that when you remove the block, the strings are very close to being in tune.
Quote by Steven Wright
If God dropped acid, would he see people?
when you put new strings on, don't lock the nut down yet. You have to "stretch" the strings by doing lots of extreme bends. It'll take about a day to get them fully stretched. Then lock it down. Start tuning the 1. then go up.
like that, and start over again and again till they're all equal. That's what I did. You're going to have to adjust them back and forth lol.
I still don't get it. Like stop it from floating and keep it almost a fixed bridge, then bring it back down by removing the battery and let the springs take over?
Quote by gardon
I still don't get it. Like stop it from floating and keep it almost a fixed bridge, then bring it back down by removing the battery and let the springs take over?

Yeah you pretty much just hit the nail on the head.
I usually do it like your doing till they are all nearly in tune, then i do the 6 and 5, get em perfect, and lock that Nut, then 3 and 4 lock that nut, then 2 and 1, then adjust with the fine tuners. Mines an Edge Pro, if that makes any difference.
I'll try to explain a little more. There are springs in the back of the trem cavity that are attached to a plate which should have two screws that keep it mounted to the guitar. These are the screws that you need to adjust. Before you do this, you need to block the trem from moving. The goal here is to keep the trem perfectly level with the top of the body so that you get maximum range of motion. To prevent it from rising up, a 9v inserted between the trem and the body inside the trem cavity will get it pretty close. You will probably have to down tune a lot before you can insert the block because of the high string tension you mentioned. Once the block is in, tune the strings and adjust the spring plate screws. You need to have the string and spring tension to be in-sync with each other so that the guitar stays in tune and the trem stays level with the body. When you remove the block (hopefully) there will be almost no change in tension.

It's hard to explain without showing you, but its not that difficult, you'll figure it out eventually.
Quote by Steven Wright
If God dropped acid, would he see people?
Last edited by CHIEF-CHEESE at Aug 23, 2008,
You're doing an excellent job of explaining it. I think I have it now, let me try....
I did it!! hoorah hooray. I realized something: the strings only detune each other because there is some sort of pattern between them. If one string moves sharp, then certain others must go flat... it's just basic math.

Having realized that, I figured that there is one, and only one possible way to get the standard E tuning on the guitar: Both the tension springs and the turning knobs on the head must be in certain places. There is no other solution, because the status of the strings and the springs must be the same.

It didn't matter where I started tuning from, or how I blocked the rise of the floyd rose, because no matter what happened, it would have to settle into its rightful place sooner or later.

So I loosened the strings completely, tightened the springs to their max, and started working from there. Tune the low strings first, followed by the higher ones, then check the springs... set and repeat.

If that didn't make sense to anybody don't worry. I just had to talk to someone (myself?) about how I did it, and how I'm FINALLY in standard tuning....

Now if it goes out of tune again I'm going to throw it out the window.

Good night!
So your bridge is nice and level now and your guitar is in tune?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com