So, im planning on getting a tube amp. The amp is Valveking 212 and its a tube and I've never had a tube amp before. So, i think you guys know where this is going. Anyway, when I go to Guitar Center and turn on the Standby, the gem thing doesnt light it. I dont know if its supposed to when I turn on the standby. So, I let that on for about 2-3minutes. Then I turn on the power, the gem lights up. So, before I play I dont know if I should turn off the standby or playwith both switched up. ??? Then I turned the standby off, I tried to play. No sound. I turn the standby on, sound. I dont know if thats right but it worked. Then it comes to turning it off. Im clueless about that. Do i turn off the power first and than standby or standby then power??

If you guys could answer these questions for me I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks.
You did it backwards. Turn the power on (up), the light will go on. Wait a minute, turn the standby on (up), then play.
Turning off doesn't matter a whole lot, it's good to put it into standby for a bit before you turn off but it's not as important as turning on properly.
Roc is correct. You turn it on, then off standby.

Also, I sirsoulsy think you should try out some other amps in that price range because the valveking is a budget tube amp and you can do alot better for $700 (I think thats how much the 212 is, too lazy to check)

Never tie yourself down and say your going to get exactly "this" amp untill your absolutely sure its what you want. Literally try every amp you can, you might find something you like a lot better.

If you still like the valveking the best I say go for it!
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo
No lol

Turn on power, wait 30ish seconds. Then flip the standby to on while keeping the main power on and wala
American Strat:
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
H2O Chorus/Echo
Quote by Ninja Penguin77
No lol

Turn on power, wait 30ish seconds. Then flip the standby to on while keeping the main power on and wala

isnt it "voila" lol

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by timzee117
isnt it "voila" lol

maybe.........
American Strat:
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
H2O Chorus/Echo
you need the amp to be powered on. keeping the amp on standby just makes it so that the power is going to only the heaters, they will warm the tubes up (sending a huge voltage to the plates of cold tubes isn't particularly good for them), give it a minute or so, then flip the standby to "on".

unless the amp is tube rectified, then you can really just flip both on at the same time. voltage won't be going to the plates until the tube rectifier itself is sufficiently heated itself, in which by then the other tubes will be heated as well.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 24, 2008,
Quote by Dimebag Bill
So, turn on the power switch for a few seconds then turn off the power than standby?

No!!! Turn the power on and leave it on for a while. Then flip the standby switch - how do you expect the amp to be on and function if you turn the power switch off!? lol
Quote by i_am_metalhead
No!!! Turn the power on and leave it on for a while. Then flip the standby switch - how do you expect the amp to be on and function if you turn the power switch off!? lol

lol go easy on him, It was more of my ****ty first explanation that made him think that, but I tried to make it a lil clearer.
American Strat:
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
H2O Chorus/Echo