My friend says he plays a note on a piano and tunes the string to sound the same. But I don't know how to play the piano. How can I tune a guitar? On UG, I always see TABS that say that the tuning is Drop D. How do I get that?
If you have an electric guitar that you know is in tune, pluck the strings together and match up the tone on the strings.
While looking at a guitar magazine with some friends.

Quote by Kaleb
DUDE! Is that a Mel Gibson?!

Quote by boreamor
Don't you understand the importance of correct spelling and grammar? It's the online symbol of maturity. And you as sure as hell don't have that.
Drop D is standard tuning with the thickest string tuned to D instead of E.

As for not knowing the notes on a piano...

Quote by holden93
If you have an electric guitar that you know is in tune, pluck the strings together and match up the tone on the strings.

I wouldn't do that, you don't know if it's in tune unless you have something to tune it to. Using the 5th fret/next string method only ensures that the guitar is in tune with itself.
Last edited by pwrmax at Aug 23, 2008,
That's a nice chart but I don't have a piano, haha. Plus, what about the other 5 strings? Is the E string the only one you do?
well, i say you should get a tuner or have him tell you the keys on a piano you tune to. also drop d tuning is standard but the low e(lowest on guitar) is dropped two note so its a d.

i dont know how much that helps but yeah.
Quote by larrytheguitar
That's a nice chart but I don't have a piano, haha. Plus, what about the other 5 strings? Is the E string the only one you do?

Drop D only drops the low E, everything else stays the same. Forget about piano, just use a tuner with a mic built-in. If you don't have one get one, it will make you life easier.
Spend $10 and get a tuner
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
Quote by handlerb
Spend $10 and get a tuner

This

get one with a microphone

so you can tell your friends theyre off key without plugging in
Get a tuner or a cheap tuning fork which will give you a concert pitch 'A' for your 5th
String. Tune the other strings from that. A tuning fork and manual tuning will train your ear. A lot of players can't tune a guitar accurately without a tuner because they started out with one.
Last edited by Akabilk at Aug 24, 2008,