So, I'm too cheap to buy an acoustic guitar, and I don't want to lug my Roland or my frontman with me when I want to play. So I would like a thing to plug into my guitar and let me play it in school.

I'd like some distortion to it, and for it to pack some punch, and not for it to sound tinny or too fuzzy. What's the best portable amp I can get for the money?
Hey look, a stoner/doom album.

GENERATION 27: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

E-father of TheSPillow/Sam
E-brothers with Entity0009
roland microcube or marshall microstack.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
i would just get an acoustic guitar.
get a dobro, i love mine!
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by leviticus_22953
roland microcube or marshall microstack.

Or you could make a Ruby/Little gem, to avoid sounding tinny I think you'd need headphones or a full amp. The microcube is good but it still sounds, unsurprisingly, small to me.
I played a used one, all I got was hiss - I suppose it could have been crap though...

Looks like I'll need to play one again (new this time)
Quote by guitar/bass76
I played a used one, all I got was hiss - I suppose it could have been crap though...

Looks like I'll need to play one again (new this time)

Don't bother - I own one and I agree with you... it sounds pretty horrid. I mean it does come in handy when you need an amp somewhere you couldn't take a normal amp. And you really can't expect much from something with 2 inch speakers but it just doesn't sound good!
Microcube!!! It's great. you can even put a strap on it and wear it on your shoulder.

Takes forever to kill six AA batteries with that thing, even with volume at the max.
Quote by Rengori
It's not like the mods ever get mad at you for going around fucking swear filter.
+1 on Ruby ( a clean amp)
or a micro cube.

The smaller amps really sound tinny though due to their small size and speaker. they just don't work too well.

I built a Ruby a while back and still have it but I don't have a proper amp cab for it so I hardly play it. I do like to run an OD pedal with it though as it gives a clean/crunch tone.

I used to love the sound of the micro cube but now I find it a little tinny like it lacks mid range which is one again, due to the small speaker...
Roland Micro Cube or a Vox DA5. Both are the best out there (imo) for portability. Also, the Orange Micro Crush has overdrive, it is tiny too, but no where near the standards of the Vox or Roland. As with the Marshall Micro-Stack (I own the MS-4. You need a Distortion/Overdrive pedal to get gain from it)