Ok, So I've got a Geddy Lee 2008 Jazz bass. I'm just wondering how it will change if i stuck some EMG pickups in it. And if someone could please explain what it means in the description on the EMG pickups. The link is bellow.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/EMG-J-HZ-Passive-Jazz-Bass-Pickup-Set?sku=308028
Quote by RPGoof
Heavy metal indicates you are using meth, LSD, ecstasy or cocaine.
it would probably ruin the bass. dont bother with emgz, the pickups on that bass are probably fine, seeing as its a 2008 and all.
It's not that theres anything wrong with them. I love them actually. I was just wondering what it would do.
Quote by RPGoof
I played some Schechters with EMG-HZs and I'd describe the tone as transparent I guess.
EMG-HZ's Are the Passive EMG's correct?

I was never a fan of EMG, unless you are playing like... most forms of metal

even then, EMG's shouldn't make the passive pickups, they sound... very... weak.

Love the metal attitude btw

"Yea, I just got this heaps wicked Axe sounds amazing, I just need to put some EMG's in it"
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
EMGz sukkkkkkkkkkkkkkk, doesnt the Geddy come with Vintage PU's???? Why would you do such a thing?
Quote by Sly Taco
EMGz sukkkkkkkkkkkkkkk, doesnt the Geddy come with Vintage PU's???? Why would you do such a thing?

+1, if you want a tone somewhat similar to Geddy (which you probably do seeing as you bought his sig) don't change the pickups- unless you can find out the exact pickups he actually uses.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by ScottB.
+1, if you want a tone somewhat similar to Geddy (which you probably do seeing as you bought his sig) don't change the pickups- unless you can find out the exact pickups he actually uses.

Ok, thanks. Only reason I asked was because I read a review that said that someone replaced them and it made the bass better. Thanks guys!
Quote by RPGoof
The reason the geddy lee bass is popular is the neck. Its probably the best neck fender has ever made, period. I did NOT like the electronics at all. They were noisy and very harsh. If your going to change the pickups and are set on emgs, get an active pair. They will have a hot output that can really get those great geddy overdrive tones and they will be very versatile. Personally I would change them to a nice set of nordstrands. They are pricey, but they are the best IMO.
Keep in mind that they're the same pickups as on the Jaco sig. Very clear and pretty, but a bit low-output. Changing the pickups to EMGs (which aren't an upgrade, more like a side-grade) would completely change the tone of the bass - which means you should have just bought another bass.

And I'm really unsure what you would like us to explain about the description. It's telling you the internals of the pickup.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
honestly i thought the stock pickups in a mates geddy left a lot to be desired, the bass didn't really impress me, then he put Duncans in it, and now i love it, so so much better
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects