Page 1 of 3
Not really, but i really need to find a way to get our drummer to quit playing when were tuning/ doing other stuff.
Quote by nexteyenate
+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

leftybassdude's opinion is superior to anyone else's

Member of The Weakerthans Fan Club
PM TechnicolorBoy or maybe_I_am to join
+1000 to the fact that they wont stop playing during tuning, i wanna shove a drumstick down their throat.
Poop.

Yes, poop.
I'm a guitarist , you can't plug into a tuner and look at a green light with a little noise?.....
You are describing a pure impossibility. Figuring this problom out could be equvilent to curing cancer-I'm not really hopeful about the near future, but I would eventually like there to be a soulution.
Quote by ElMaco
My last pay check was £0 working 0 hours. I can't believe how easy it was
guitarist tuning to other guitarist he means^ and yes i ****ing hate when theres constant blasting going on and im trying to ****ing say something like the next song or something of the sort
(signature removed, please choose another)
"OKAY GUYS, THIS IS WHAT WE'RE GONNA D- .....dude SHUT UP! Anyway, we're gonna play a little- STOP! .....I want you to play- DUDE SHUT THE FUCK UP!"

+1 to shoving the sticks down their throats.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
im not the only one who's thought this? yes!

throw a pick at him (thrown like a card, an important skill for the showman)
dont take any guff from these bastards man

Quote by Fenderhippie69
I only smoke when I've been drinking and I only drink when I've been smoking.
Quote by Nirvana_RATM2
I'm a guitarist , you can't plug into a tuner and look at a green light with a little noise?.....

Umm... helo? tuner?

u don't need to hear yourself if you use one...

but if you're tuning by ear then i understand.

Just tell him, "hey, can you hold on a bit while i tune?"

Plus... it's worse to get a guitarist to shut up. Hey, i play guitar/bass and i actually find guitarists more annoying.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Drummers are incapable of shutting the hell up. Guitarists are annoying that they think everything is about them, but drummers are just a bunch of piss me off.
ok so.. drummers won't stop playing even when your trying to tune/talk etc, guitarists are annoying and what do bassists do?
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?
fap

I couldn't count the amount of times I've had to ask the drummer to shutup as we are going to try something new/tune/do a song which doesn't have drums in the intro...

Guitarists aren't so bad, I can just turn of his amp, usually gets the message across
@ whole thread
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by Gummers
fap

I couldn't count the amount of times I've had to ask the drummer to shutup as we are going to try something new/tune/do a song which doesn't have drums in the intro...

Guitarists aren't so bad, I can just turn of his amp, usually gets the message across

Nah guitarists tend to be dicks. They'll bitch about it and then just leave. Drummers, in my experience, will work well with you if you communicate.

It's kinda essential to be able to hear the tunes in order to truly learn to tune. Using an electronic guitar tuner =! tuning.

But I guess there is really no solution to "the drummer problem" ;D so we'll have to live with the tuner - or get the robot gibson :/
Quote by leftybassdude
Not really, but i really need to find a way to get our drummer to quit playing when were tuning/ doing other stuff.

in my experience, no-one's worse than guitarists for that
out of here
Quote by inflatablefilth
in my experience, no-one's worse than guitarists for that

finally someone who agrees with me!!!

If you cannot maturely communicate a desire for silence when silence is required or if your drummer cannot maturely accept a need for silence then you do not have the requisite maturity for social interaction, let alone band-forming. Your profile says that you're 17 - get a grip.
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

http://urbanscarecrow.bandcamp.com/
Quote by Dunjma
ok so.. drummers won't stop playing even when your trying to tune/talk etc, guitarists are annoying and what do bassists do?

are you kidding?!?!?! bassists are the comic relief!!!
Bassist's are by far the least annoying of everyone in the band, they just hang out and hold the song together.
Quote by Damascus
If you cannot maturely communicate a desire for silence when silence is required or if your drummer cannot maturely accept a need for silence then you do not have the requisite maturity for social interaction, let alone band-forming. Your profile says that you're 17 - get a grip.

Oh shut up I think the guys in that little known band "Led Zeppelin" were in their teens when they were starting to get big, ever heard of them? You obviously aren't mature enough for social interaction if you flame someone for no reason and think you're more mature than someone because you're older - I thought people grew out of that when they were like 10?
Quote by Dunjma
what do bassists do?

all the work and never gets credited

but you are rigth TS drummes can be annoying, but they make me feel great when i am able to tune my guitarrist's guitar and my bass(without tuner) while listening to all the noise a drummer can make
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by Shackman10
Oh shut up I think the guys in that little known band "Led Zeppelin" were in their teens when they were starting to get big, ever heard of them? You obviously aren't mature enough for social interaction if you flame someone for no reason and think you're more mature than someone because you're older - I thought people grew out of that when they were like 10?

No, you completely misunderstood my point. I was trying to say that because he is 17 (and not 12, or 10), he should be able to sort this kind of situation out like an adult.

Are you seriously telling me that a 17-year-old should have to come onto a bloody internet forum for advice on how to stop a drummer making noise while he's trying to tune his guitar?

Really?
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

^ he shouldn't HAVE TO come on the internet forum asking advice on how to get a drummer to stop playing.... but since he has i will give the most valuable advice ever for this , 2 words:

shock collar
You're right, I was foolish to attempt to give serious advice to such a ridiculous question.
Quote by Ed O'Brien

Quote by Damascus
You're right, I was foolish to attempt to give serious advice to such a ridiculous question.

i only created this thread to see how other people handled the situation. I do nicely and diligently try to tell my drummer to stop, its not about a level of maturity. its getting to the point without having a pissy drummer the rest of the day.
Quote by nexteyenate
+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

leftybassdude's opinion is superior to anyone else's

Member of The Weakerthans Fan Club
PM TechnicolorBoy or maybe_I_am to join
I found the title a bit mis-leading, because my drummer, academically is the smartest one out of our three-piece band, and has the most knowledge of musci theory, because he also plays piano, but our drummer used to always start playng techno beats to annoy the bass player and I when we were talking, he only did that twice, but I think that not only drummers play while tuning up, but also other members of the band too.
the drummer in my "band" is so annoying with this
i admit i do it occaisionally
but at least when im playing, im trying to come up with riffs
i normally dont even notice until sum1 says shut it
then i do actually shut up
but our rummer
JESUS
he just plays endless crappy fills
he thinks hes a drum god cos he can play moderately fast
but he cant keep a rhythm at all
and his fills are pretty terrible tbh
i can play better drums than him and ive only played twice in my life

Also
whenever we're trying to do stuff, and write stuff
hes always leaving his drums to ask bout our equipment
its like "dude try playing a ______ type of rhythm"
then i look at the kit and hes not there, hes hes stood in front of me asking wt my Zoom pedal is for the 6th time
GAH
^true story

EDIT
Wow wall of text ftw
tl;dr: my drummer is an ass
i trained my drummer. if he sees my hand go up, he stops. *gives dog food and repeat*
Quote by oscar666
the drummer in my "band" is so annoying with this
i admit i do it occaisionally
but at least when im playing, im trying to come up with riffs
i normally dont even notice until sum1 says shut it
then i do actually shut up
but our rummer
JESUS
he just plays endless crappy fills
he thinks hes a drum god cos he can play moderately fast
but he cant keep a rhythm at all
and his fills are pretty terrible tbh
i can play better drums than him and ive only played twice in my life

Also
whenever we're trying to do stuff, and write stuff
hes always leaving his drums to ask bout our equipment
its like "dude try playing a ______ type of rhythm"
then i look at the kit and hes not there, hes hes stood in front of me asking wt my Zoom pedal is for the 6th time
GAH
^true story

EDIT
Wow wall of text ftw
tl;dr: my drummer is an ass

I never understood why people on the forum complain about their band members and say they suck at their instrument....they why the hell are the in your band..

I my first band, if someone wouldn't stop or shut up, whomever was trying to say something or re-tuned something had the right to throw a bottle at the offending party.

It all went well and good until we started using refilled beer bottles.

No, they weren't refilled with beer, either.

Since the bassist in my current band uses a 5-string, we've added drum and bass intros and outros to any song on the setlist that requires me to re-tune. I just drop my volume down to nadda, check the tuner, and turn back up in time to come in on the next song.

I once had the same problem with a drummer, me and a couple of members of the band I was in at the time were trying to mix a recording at a studio one day and the drummer just wouldn't stop tapping away at every surface he could find with his sticks.
He was wearing a pair of shorts and a sleeveless shirt, so we grabbed him, wrapped him from head to toe in gaffer tape, threw him into a soundproof room, turned out the lights, locked the door, and left him there for three hours.

He screamed like a baby when we were unwrapping him.

After that, he stayed out of my way while I was mixing.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
I once had the same problem with a drummer, me and a couple of members of the band I was in at the time were trying to mix a recording at a studio one day and the drummer just wouldn't stop tapping away at every surface he could find with his sticks.
He was wearing a pair of shorts and a sleeveless shirt, so we grabbed him, wrapped him from head to toe in gaffer tape, threw him into a soundproof room, turned out the lights, locked the door, and left him there for three hours.

He screamed like a baby when we were unwrapping him.

After that, he stayed out of my way while I was mixing.

Holy ****, that is epic.
my drummer plays like a maniac..
and when we are tuning or talking or something...he annoys us like hell...and all he plays is Pantera's domination lol
Page 1 of 3