have a tone control for the bridge pickup?

Edit: Yeah I know how to switch the tone pots to work on the bridge but my question is why do they decide to build them that way, versus say gibson who always gives tone control to their bridge pickups right off the batt.
Last edited by Aquaman788 at Aug 24, 2008,
Because they aren't wired that way. It's a simple fix.
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
all you have to do is connect a wire from the middle pickup to the bridge pickup on the 5 way switch
why dont chicks have tits on their back for slow dancing?
because sometimes, my friend, there can be too much of a good thing
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man

wth thats a great question for the ges, to bad it has an answer...
but i didnt even know that fenders were missing that, wierd (but i never play them so i dont know much)
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
Yeah I know how to switch the tone pots to work on the bridge but my question is why do they decide to build them that way, versus say gibson who always gives tone control to their bridge pickups right off the batt.
Because their Fender and thats what they wanna do, whereas their Gibson and thats what they wanna do. Thats basically what it comes down to.
Guitar: Ibanez Rg 2ex2/ with Dizmarzio Super Distortion
Amp: Peavey Valveking 212 (replacing soon)
Pedals: Planet Waves Tuner, Boss DS-1, Digitech DF-7, MXR-108 EQ
it would then take 3 volume and 3 tone controls. Fenders are just designed to always run the bridge hot and then you can use the tone controls to play around with the other pickup combinations.
probally because fender guitars are made to play a prominentally a similar tone throughout and htey dont want to have a harder setup for the guitarist, or its more cost effective for them not to but another pot, knob, drill another hole in the plate, and do a little more wiring that, but i really am not sure on that first one
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
I just wonder why they dont just give the tone control to the bridge and the neck instead of the middle pickup, even when its an hss strat there isnt any control for the himbucker. Im turnung my strat into an hsh strat and im trying to decide whether to give the tone controls to the neck and middle or the neck and bridge. Switchin the 250k pots with 500k for the humbuckers of course. Any advice on which setup would be better?
you can make it so that the two pups share a tone knob. i would have the two buckers share a tone, and then the single have its own.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
you can make it so that the two pups share a tone knob. i would have the two buckers share a tone, and then the single have its own.

Yeah I was thinking about doing that or using a concentric pot so that I can control two seperate tones for each pickup while only using one spot.
I always thought for the longest time that there was something wrong with my guitar, like maybe the quality control in mexico didn't catch that my humbucker didn't have a tone knob. Then I thought that humbuckers in general maybe didn't have tone knobs...safe to say I felt like an idiot when I figured it out.
whenever i have my strat on the bridge pickup and i play with the tone knob farthest away from the volume knob, it totally changes the tone.

is my strat wire ddifferently?

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by timzee117
whenever i have my strat on the bridge pickup and i play with the tone knob farthest away from the volume knob, it totally changes the tone.

did you buy it used? perhaps it was modded.
maybe deluxes are different.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
did you buy it used? perhaps it was modded.
maybe deluxes are different.

i just looked on fenders website

i compared mine to a 62 ri ( my next guitar)

the 62 said neck tone 1, middle tone 2, bridge none

deluxe said neck tone 1, neckmid tone 1&2, mid tone 2, mid/bridge tone2, and bridge tone 2

so basically if anyone truly cared i solved the problem lol

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by timzee117

Yeah, same thing on the Highway One Strat I have...
Guitars: Fender Highway one -08, Epiphone SG, Walden acoustic and two parlour-acoustics from the early 30's
Amps: Fender -65 Deluxe Reverb, Marshall Valvestate 8240, Peavey Rage and one unknown one, hehe...
Pedals: Dunlop Fuzzface, Original Crybaby
only the majority of stratocasters have no tone control on the bridge pickup. its not all fender guitars, which is the impression that some people who don't know much about fender might get from this thread. every other fender, as far as i know, has master volume/tone controls, or gibson style 2 vol 2 tone controls.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
To my knowledge it was something that was done on vintage strats to leave the bridge pickup as the lead pickup and the other pickups for softer rhythm tones, I think the strat was designed to be a instrument predominantly for country music, (tremolo for emulating a pedal steel).

More modern strats often have a neck tone and a bridge+middle tone control.
Quote by timzee117

Thats actually how mine is and my friends. We both have two tone knobs and one of them effects the bridge pickup. So when I saw this thread it totally threw me off. I wasn't even aware of this. The only strats I have dealt with though is mine and his and both of ours do.
Quote by xxXshredderXxx
so people actually use the tone pot?

I don't. This is why you see a lot of artist with custom guitars that actually only have a volume knob. In my guitars with emg's I don't even connect the tone port. It's maxed out on 10 and in the back of my guitar. The tone knob that i got in doesn't work. On purpose. Some people like to use their tone knob but i'm more about adjusting my tone from my amp. To me anytime you start rolling the tone knob down it starts sounding muffled and like its in a hole.
Quote by no. 380059
To my knowledge it was something that was done on vintage strats to leave the bridge pickup as the lead pickup and the other pickups for softer rhythm tones, I think the strat was designed to be a instrument predominantly for country music, (tremolo for emulating a pedal steel).

More modern strats often have a neck tone and a bridge+middle tone control.

yeah, i think so. without the tone control, the bridge pickup will be a little brighter and twangier.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It beats me. Because when the strat was developed, the thinner and more brittle the lead sound, the better!

I think a strat can be really "unlocked" if you rewire the middle pickup tone control for the bridge pickup, you can get slightly thinner humbucker tone out of a strat that way.
Quote by chea_man

lmao, sigged
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
pedals and such in profile