I've been wondering if there was anyway to play my guitar through my laptop.

I've been looking around and found this This

But is that all I would need? Could I just plug and play or do I need other software?
well if you plan on recroding you're going to need software
Quote by kirkisking
Were you like, physically abused as a child or something?

Squier HSS
Jackson Ke2
Marshall MG100HDFX
Boss METALZONE
Quote by chea_man
why dont chicks have tits on their back for slow dancing?
because sometimes, my friend, there can be too much of a good thing
Well typically you'll have about a second or two of delay when playing through anything to a computer/laptop, so it's usually doesn't work good.
I am a lucid dream to the illusionary slumber
Wading in a cesspool of forgotten memory
An insignificant host to the collective subconscious

~Sacred Slumber
sometimes i just plug straight into my soundcard and use an amp sim in Logic Studio.

Kdog, i think your the only person to ever sig me, HELL YEAH!
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
I didn't read all of the m-audio's specs but interfaces in general have software in them so it should be plug and play.
Also check out guitar rig 3 and amplitube 2 they are great programs.
I'm running amplitube 2 in an old sounblaster audigy 2 with no delays using ASIO drivers.
You might not need this interface too, you can do it without it.
Current Equipment:
Epiphone Les Paul Gothic
Blackstar Ht-5
Bad Monkey
You'll need some software.

I use Guitar Rig 2 and 3 with Sony Acid 6. You can find just about anything if you go to
www.torrentz.com and search for it.
Really you can get a 50 dollar guitarport.. has tons of amp models on it and plugs into your usb port. It's the cheapest way to get amp models and a way to play guitar on your laptop. Although it depends on what you want to use it for. The guitarport is great with good computer speakers and for practice but if you want to do serious recordings you may need a better software. But the guitarport still is a cheap way to plug your guitar in. If you got guitarport and later on wanted to use some software like peavey revalver or amplitube you can still run through your guitarport after setting your sound settings as your input to these programs. Of course you can just plug directly into your sound card if you prefer but it always seems better quality to me to use a usb device.
Quote by mhylands
Well typically you'll have about a second or two of delay when playing through anything to a computer/laptop, so it's usually doesn't work good.

Not true. With guitar rig, the delay was <10 ms, and thus not noticable.
But i wouldnt ever make my laptop my amp tbh. Guitar rig is cool to play with and to experiment which gear you like (certainly if you want to make a purchase), but it still sucks compared to real material.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
yeah i agree. I would never use it on a serious recording but for demoing and practicing it sounds really good but you need good computer speakers. I went out and bought one of those surround sound systems with a subwoofer that you use with your TV. But I plugged it up to my computer. It's a cheaper one... about 80 dollars but makes my guitar sound awesome. Actually puts any of the smaller SS practice amps ive played to shame. Plus it makes it really simple once you get recording software to hit record. So if i come up with a riff and im like i need to remember that hit record. Or say you're working on a solo you can record the rythem and work on your solo without micing a cab or a combo amp and running the cords and going through all of that.
Yeah, pretty much.
Couple that with the Native Instruments Guitar Rig 3 software and you've got a pretty good guitar tone.

Guitar rig is amazing if you wanna use it as a sort of a pre amp.
You can plug your guitar into your comp and then plug your GR3's output into a proper amp and you can get some pretty amazing tones. You could even play with Guitar Rig's effects too or get some virtual effects like the iZotope Trash which is one hell of a distortion effect.
Ohmforce does some pretty funky distortion and Filters too.

NIN constantly use Guitar Rig, iZotop Trash and Ohmforce effects to create their distinctive guitar tones.
Last edited by af_the_fragile at Aug 24, 2008,
The Fast Track USB comes with sofware to model amps and FX which is similar to line6's GearBox.

It won't sound all that great and its a 1.1 USB device so you will get latency however it will work...

Other amp softwares will sound a little better (amplitube 2 for example) but still, its not as close as the real thing.

You are dealing with recording gear when getting into interfaces and so you should expect to spend more. $100 is the same as $50 now haha
I highly suggest getting amplitube 2 and another interface like the EMU 0202. the software will sound better and the USB 2.0 interface will cut down on latency (delays)

For more info see this video I made for the R&R form.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XOCK76FByo

BTW if you want to record you need a sequencer such as Audacity or Reaper which are explained in my new video.
Get something like a Line 6 Toneport. Plug your guitar into the toneport which goes into yours USB. And then the amp models are on a program you get with it on your PC. To hear yourself, you either plug headphones into the toneport, or plug the toneport into speakers.
I'd recommend a Line 6 Toneport. It comes with gearbox software with a bunch of different amp models, cab models, bass and vocal models and all the effects u'll need. u can get one for as cheap as like $100 or u can get the toneport UX-2 with 2 mic inputs and 2 instrument inputs. u can upgrade the software by downloading additional plugins with more effects and models to beef up ur sound.

heres a link of me playing deadbolt by thrice using a toneport.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYt3QSunnUA

with something like a fasttrack u'll need protools or cubase or some other software not specifically designed for the guitar.
Quote by LP_CL
Not true. With guitar rig, the delay was <10 ms, and thus not noticable.
But i wouldnt ever make my laptop my amp tbh. Guitar rig is cool to play with and to experiment which gear you like (certainly if you want to make a purchase), but it still sucks compared to real material.

It all depends on the sound card.. Most casual computer users will find that delay is going to be there. On my creative audigy se card, i get about 2 seconds of delay. This makes it pretty much unplayable :/

You would have to buy a good(external maybe) sound card(with 1/4 inputs preferred) before youd get it to sound good.
Be aware that the Toneports are 1.1 interfaces and they do have some latency which will toss off your timing when using software as an amp...

Thats why I suggested a USB 2.0 interface such as the EMU 0202 or 0404
Last edited by moody07747 at Aug 24, 2008,
the toneport ux1 is 1.1 but the ux2 is 2.0.... i use it to do recordings in my home studio and i don't experience any problems with latency but thats cus i use a supedup mac running protools. the emu 0202 or 0404 or something like the m audio firewire 410 will also do the job, but again it doesn't come with the software that a toneport does