Some things might be changing, since I actually have some money...

I have settled on a new wah

I have also been hearing some great things about the Danelectro Cool Cat series, and was thinking of buying the new fuzz they have.
Another possible purchase may be a new bridge pickup for my GRG170DX... I am pretty certain I want the Dimarzio Breed (definitely something dimarzio), but I have yet to test one.

So... if you didn't read that, DOES THIS SOUND GOOD?

I have settled on a new wah
Buy a Danelectro Cool Cat DF-1 Fuzz pedal (I have been looking for one...)
Purchase a new bridge pickup, or maybe set for my GRG170DX (beginner guitar, I KNOW). I'd be looking almost preferably at DiMarzio, but I'm not being narrow-minded for this.

Opinions? Suggestions? I am on a pretty low budget right now, and the total for what I am considering is about $150 USD. I make $5/hour, so "saving up" is not exactly an option considering I pay for my own gas, as well.
Last edited by dudey5691 at Aug 24, 2008,
Personally I don't think the 535Q is that much of an improvement over the standard Crybaby. At least soundwise, if you want a real upgrade, get a Fulltone or BYOC wah.
ORRRR a Snarlingdog, those wahs are just sickkkk, sooo many features soo many sounds. just look into them at least...
Quote by al112987
Personally I don't think the 535Q is that much of an improvement over the standard Crybaby. At least soundwise, if you want a real upgrade, get a Fulltone or BYOC wah.

I thought the 535Q was a whole-step up from the Originals? Oh well.

I was looking for around $100-$120 used for the wah, since I've already got $60 coming from the sale.
Fulltone's look excellent, but I doubt I'll find one for my budget. And I cannot find a pre-built BYOC wah
technically it is a step up, but not a huge upgrade tonewise, at least imo. Its simply a crybaby with a boatload of add-ons. Just to me, thats not really worth it.

I don't know a whole lot about wahs, I'm sure there is someone who can give better advice than me.
Quote by al112987
technically it is a step up, but not a huge upgrade tonewise, at least imo. Its simply a crybaby with a boatload of add-ons.

Oh, I thought it was second-best to the rack wah for Dunlop... damn. How's the 95Q? I basically need a wah with a better sweep and less treble bite, that's capable of playing with high-gain and clean.
How are Morley's? I don't really want a signature sound, but they look like they'd be a good choice since my budget is limited.
most of the danelectros ive ever played have been crap
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
What about a signature wah from Dunlop? I like the sound of the Slash Wah, also the DimeBag Crybaby from is pretty versatile for high gain.
Quote by TheArcadeFire
What about a signature wah from Dunlop? I like the sound of the Slash Wah, also the DimeBag Crybaby from is pretty versatile for high gain.

Are they good for other genres, as well? The wah I have right now is good, but as stated in the first... it's got too much treble bite and not a wide enough sweep, for me.
Quote by dudey5691
Are they good for other genres, as well? The wah I have right now is good, but as stated in the first... it's got too much treble bite and not a wide enough sweep, for me.

Like I said, the Crybaby From Hell is pretty versatile, and the Slash wah just sounds really good. I haven't tried them extensively though.
crybaby from hell is an awesome all around wah
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
i've read a ton of comments on people liking the vox v847 wah pedals, and i've contemplated getting one myself to replace my crybaby
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
So, about this wah...

Maybe a PAF Mo Joe for the neck and a Super Distortion for the bridge. That would be the DiMarzio combo I'd be getting in your shoes.

On the subject of the wah though, you may be better off modding your crybaby. I'm sure there's a sweep mod you can do to widen its sweep, and a couple of resistor changes and you can filter off some of the unwanted treble.
I think you would like the Breed. Although I really like the tone of the Dimarzio Evolutions. They are really clear sounding, but they are kind of geared towards shred, not metal.

Dimarzio makes several high output humbuckers. Look at their site, check 'em out.
^I play too sloppy for Evolutions

Quote by bartdevil_metal
So, about this wah...

Maybe a PAF Mo Joe for the neck and a Super Distortion for the bridge. That would be the DiMarzio combo I'd be getting in your shoes.

On the subject of the wah though, you may be better off modding your crybaby. I'm sure there's a sweep mod you can do to widen its sweep, and a couple of resistor changes and you can filter off some of the unwanted treble.

I like the idea of PAF. I'm not too keen on the Super distortion, but my neighbor with one in a similar style guitar body is going to let me test it out tomorrow.

I'm not too sure about modding it... I wouldn't know what I was doing