I'm not saying Guitar Hero is killing music/rock and corrupting the youth.
No.
Hear me out.

I was tail-gating before a football game today and these two kids kept on listening to songs from Guitar Hero. Only Guitar Hero. First it was The Devil Went Down to Georgia. Then Raining Blood. Then Through the Fire and the Flames. This was followed by The Number of the Beast. I heard them skip through a few songs (3's and 7's, Bulls on Parade) and then they turned the music off. Why do people insist listening only to music from Guitar Hero?

I know other people who do this but this is just a prime example.
This is the part where you introduce them to songs by the artists that you think they'll like. Give them a nudge towards exploring music.

Either that or skull**** them. Your chocie.
Quote by top shelf

I couldn't do it [masturbate] with the cast on however. That's when I dug out my baby sister's stuffed animals and went to town

Quote by Tubyboulin
Is it bad that I imagined you saying that in a really sexy voice?
Those are good songs anyway. It's not your decision to say who should listen to what.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
well for one, they're good songs. for some people, guitar hero is their first exposure to them.

one thing i noticed is that a lot of songs featured in GTA San Andreas are in the guitar hero games, though i think it came out before any of them. i figure that the makers of both games picked the songs using the same method

however, i have noticed kids who make mixed cds that recreate the songlists on GH.i think the main reason is simply because they've played the games, like the songs, and decided it was easy to copy and paste a list.

i, on the other hand, like to make unique mixes.its like when people get tattoos, you dont wanna run into someone with the identical tat because then yours is not as cool.

Quote by NotAGuitarHero
This is the part where you introduce them to songs by the artists that you think they'll like. Give them a nudge towards exploring music.

this is a good point. i used to hide behind popular punk music, but now i try to listen to everything. most people who say "i hate rap/country/emo" really havent given any of it a chance.
Last edited by dudius at Aug 24, 2008,
Quote by wolfy808
Those are good songs anyway. It's not your decision to say who should listen to what.

I never said they any of that; stop misconstruing my words. It's that people don't even think anymore, they just do. They like music not because it's amazing or has feeling, because its in, it's cool, it's Guitar Hero. It seems they don't like the music, they just listen.
Anythings better than the main stream **** they would otherwise be listening to. alot of the songs I like were discovered by being the soundtrack/appearing in a movie or program

I hate guitar hero but I think what your ragging on may be it's only redeeming factor
Quote by InvaderTSN
Because they like the music?

I was gonna say that.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Demoralising women is just one of the many services we provide here at UG
I know what you mean. I myself dislike Guitar Hero, but do get addicted to it whenver it is around me.

Why cant people learn songs on the real guitar? It takes the same time to master on guitar than mastering it on hard on GH.

Just the other day this guy was like, "wow im so awesome, I learned Killing in the name of on hard on GH!! go me." So being the humble type that i was, I casuly pick up my guitar, plug it into my amp and Distortion pedal, and played full song. To which I reply, "Oh what was that you said before? You can play that on Guitar Hero?"

I did however teach him a bit of the song so he might go home and learn it on a real guitar.
I think the idea of listening to music cos its on guitar hero simply because their friends are or because its cool to like that it now that its on guitar hero or whatever is bad. Which may be the way in some cases. But on the other hand, it could also be their only exposure to such music and may lead to them appreciating music which they may never have without guitar hero. I still think its a good thing that they are at least exposed to it.
Quote by CobainBohnam
I never said they any of that; stop misconstruing my words. It's that people don't even think anymore, they just do. They like music not because it's amazing or has feeling, because its in, it's cool, it's Guitar Hero. It seems they don't like the music, they just listen.

You think everyone listens to music because of the music itself and the feeling? People listen to what they want, because they want to and they like it.
Quote by wolfy808

Wait, he DOESN'T get to choose our music for us?

****...all these years...
Quote by wolfy808

ya except through the fire and flames
Quote by InvaderTSN
....so?

You fail to bring a point against mine.
You can read the Magna Carte and say "so?", it won't make a difference.

My point is that Guitar Hero is a genre of music now. Its not rock/metal, its Guitar Hero. I was saying that they only listened to music in Guitar Hero. People are listening to whatever is in Guitar Hero, nothing else.

If I asked the question "What do you like about Jimi Hendrix?".

A music lover:
"It sounds good, it's entertaining, its soulful, it has meaning, it's skillful, it's amazing".

A person who only listens to Guitar Hero:
"It was in Guitar Hero, its cool".
Quote by dudius

one thing i noticed is that a lot of songs featured in GTA San Andreas are in the guitar hero games, though i think it came out before any of them.

yes, san andreas came out first. and I thought I was the only one who noticed the similar songs they usually take songs from popular movie soundtracks and various "best of" albums, I think.
"A guitar is the human soul, speaking with just six strings..."- Eddie Lee

Irvine Kinneas of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM me, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
well actually it's obvious why they do it. they like the video game a lot. though the thing does open up new horizons. guitar hero introduced nirvana and megadeth to me. though i have heard of nirvana before, i never actually heard any of their songs until GH2.
Quote by CobainBohnam
My point is that Guitar Hero is a genre of music now. Its not rock/metal, its Guitar Hero. I was saying that they only listened to music in Guitar Hero. People are listening to whatever is in Guitar Hero, nothing else.

If I asked the question "What do you like about Jimi Hendrix?".

A music lover:
"It sounds good, it's entertaining, its soulful, it has meaning, it's skillful, it's amazing".

A person who only listens to Guitar Hero:
"It was in Guitar Hero, its cool".

Does it really matter? So what if they don't think it's "soulful" or "meaningful"? They're enjoying the music.
The only statement I wanted to make in this thread was:
I think people are listening to music in Guitar Hero only because its in Guitar Hero and because its "cool".
------------------
Anything else was misconstrued.