I feel totally disorientated now... I was having a fairly intense philosophy session recently , not quite meditation but going down that path , and it occured to me that when you think about it the whole universe we see is a construction of our own minds and senses, we have no Idea what things actually look like, how big they are or anything else seeing as everything is picked up by human sensory organs, I mean bees can see ultraviolet, we can't, that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. we hear things in a different pitch see things in different colours and so on to other animals who's perception is no more or less right then ours. What I'm saying is we don't have access to what things really look like we just know what our senses interpret them as.

The same thing goes for size. size being relative to our personal scale, their really is no "big" or "small", there is only comparison between other objects. I mean if you were half the size of the universe it wouldn't be big the same way as your hand is giant to a fly, so by this reasoning we wouldn't even know if the whole universe was microscopic. ( men in black anybody?"

and even our minds that process everything run purely on what we encounter in our senses and experiences so it seems that the universe we really inhabit is entirely unknown to us and "us" is a product of our own sensory interpretation of said universe.

Is anybody else as buzzed out as I am by all this?
I'm actually intrigued by things like this. It's fascinating to think about...

But then I just get baked and put on some Electric Wizard.
Quote by Mudmen190
If loving ham makes me gay, I'm Rob Halford.

Quote by musiclover2399
MyNameIsLame just nailed it (actually both his statements did some nailing).

Quote by Oroborous
This is honestly the best first post I've ever seen

^^ Directed at me. E-peen wankery sigs ftw.

My Last.FM
i've wondered about stuff like that.

one example has to do with relative perception. humans live between 70 and 100 years, but tortoises can live more than twice that. compared to us, they move really slowly, but do they see the world in a way that we do? do tortoises see humans buzzing around quickly, the way we see fruitflies? fruit flies only live about a day and they whizz circles around us. do they see us as we see tortoises?

we can't really know, but its something i wish i could know.

i also used to wonder if people saw colors differently. in example, i would see a red crayon and not know what to call that color until someone told me it was red. you could see that red crayon and be told it was red, but your brain percieves it the way i would see the color blue.

though this works on a lesser extent with colorblindness (one might see a certain blue as green because their eyes dont recieve that wavelength and convert it to a similar one), reasoning tells me this can't really be so. if our bodies are structured the same way, we should perceive light the same way, therefore the same wavelength would appear the same way to most humans.
Last edited by dudius at Aug 24, 2008,
lay off the acid?
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I saw Pantera live once, Dime changed into a body bag right there on stage.

Quote by dudius
i've wondered about stuff like that.

one example has to do with relative perception. humans live between 70 and 100 years, but tortoises can live more than twice that. compared to us, they move really slowly, but do they see the world in a way that we do? do tortoises see humans buzzing around quickly, the way we see fruitflies? fruit flies only live about a day and they whizz circles around us. do they see us as we see tortoises?

we can't really know, but its something i wish i could know.

I have actually considered that before and the only answer I could come up with was
Human- About 70 years (fate permitting and in a first world country )
slow reactions / reflexes

Cat- about 12 years
a **** load faster reflexes than humans

Fly - a day or so
****ing un-earthly reflexes

They must see everything slower and therefore everything must seem to take longer to them- best answer I could think of
Quote by kurt_cobain9
lay off the acid?

lay off the heroin
Set the controls to the heart of the sun.
Quote by LuciferSam.
lay off the heroin

yeah yeah, we know, drugs are bad mmmkay?
try to imagine a new color

try to spin a spinner in your head and stop it on one color

try to picture a grain of sand on the beach in comparrison to the world, that is how the world compares to the universe

we could be a spec of sand under the fingernail of a guy on another world.

point is, life's a mystery, it will never be solved, im glad to see u have an open mind TS, but dont worry about it, hell im so detached from the physical world, i have been since i was young, it sucks sometimes seeing people so bound to the earth, but let them be.

just remember you're special... now, wont u be my neighbor?
Quote by TSmitty6
try to imagine a new color

try to spin a spinner in your head and stop it on one color

try to picture a grain of sand on the beach in comparrison to the world, that is how the world compares to the universe

we could be a spec of sand under the fingernail of a guy on another world.

point is, life's a mystery, it will never be solved, im glad to see u have an open mind TS, but dont worry about it, hell im so detached from the physical world, i have been since i was young, it sucks sometimes seeing people so bound to the earth, but let them be.

just remember you're special... now, wont u be my neighbor?

gay

Quote by Machine Gun Cat
Say something constructive or don't say anything at all

i don't know how to...

wow trippy but yea I think plants see tortoises as fly's
Quote by Stress Cow
You know you're fucked up when the pit thinks you're a sick bastard.
ooo, another thing i just remembered.

when i was a little kid, i often wondered if other people existed in a way that i did, or if everything other people did was in a butterfly effect spurred by me. so in a way, i thought life was like a video game where i was the only one making decisions and the world revolved around me, which fits in with something i learned in Psychology- young children go through an egocentric stage.