Which do you feel works best? A lot of people say that using the amp's gain gives it a warmer distortion and is more dynamic, but at the same time lots of people say that most people use an amp's pre-amp gain which can sound brittle, lifeless, and inorganic - thus the reason for pedals. Pedals offer a different voiced distortion from the amp's pre-amp gain. Some people say this eliminates the negative effects of pre-amp gain. This also opens way for multiple individually voiced overdrive/distortion possibilities. At the same time, possibly depending on the pedal being used, people argue that the distortion becomes less tube-like and loses dynamics. What way do you think is the best or what do you like? Does anyone on here try a combination of the two by stacking amp and pedal overdrive/distortion?
Last edited by JJCC at Aug 24, 2008,
I use them both at the same time.

And I hate hate hate hate hate the use of the word 'organic' to describe tone. Since when do compression waves or thermionic valves contain carbon?
Quote by imgooley
I use them both at the same time.

And I hate hate hate hate hate the use of the word 'organic' to describe tone. Since when do compression waves or thermionic valves contain carbon?

Hahaha, well-spoken.
well maybe if you think of it as meaning more natural than weather it contains carbon. sorta like britney spears voice sounds inorganic cause its been pitch altered so much she sounds like a robot
Quote by crumbedfish
well maybe if you think of it as meaning more natural than weather it contains carbon. sorta like britney spears voice sounds inorganic cause its been pitch altered so much she sounds like a robot

It's still a bad adjective in this case.

IDK, maybe it's the Chemical Engineer in my taking over, but Organic means "containing carbon"

If you want to say natural, say natural. Organic is not a proper term.
I think if someone is using an amp that requires a distortion pedal, they should just get a different amp. I've yet to find a distortion pedal that matches the quality of tone that a normal amp's distortion and an overdrive pedal.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
p.s. i haven't tried many pedals yet, but none so far have been as good as the amp distortion. like the can sound more punchy or heavier but it just doesn't sound right, thats what i've found anyways.
Quote by rwalby9
I think if someone is using an amp that requires a distortion pedal, they should just get a different amp. I've yet to find a distortion pedal that matches the quality of tone that a normal amp's distortion and an overdrive pedal.

What about a fuzz? Or mixing an analogue distortion pedal with amp distortion to get a completely different sound.

IMO, you can do a lot with a little. A Big Muff+amp overdrive can give tonnes of combinations.
Quote by imgooley
What about a fuzz? Or mixing an analogue distortion pedal with amp distortion to get a completely different sound.

IMO, you can do a lot with a little. A Big Muff+amp overdrive can give tonnes of combinations.
Well, distortion =/= fuzz. If they want a fuzz sound, that's something they probably want a quality stomp box for.
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Quote by imgooley
It's still a bad adjective in this case.

IDK, maybe it's the Chemical Engineer in my taking over, but Organic means "containing carbon"

If you want to say natural, say natural. Organic is not a proper term.

yeah but you can say its as cold as ****(poo) today without people getting angry about the fact that ****(poo) isn't usually cold, atelast not when its fresh.
So I suppose a solution to the problem of the single distortion tone coming from the amp is to stack it with other overdrive/distortion/fuzz pedals. That doesn't necessarily mean good tone - but tone is subjective isn't it?
Quote by rwalby9
Well, distortion =/= fuzz. If they want a fuzz sound, that's something they probably want a quality stomp box for.

Well, fuzz and overdrive are types of distortion, the just do it in different ways.

IMO, a distortion pedal is good for broadening the range of usable tones a person can get.
Quote by crumbedfish
yeah but you can say its as cold as ****(poo) today without people getting angry about the fact that ****(poo) isn't usually cold, atelast not when its fresh.

What the hell are you saying>? :stickpoke:
probably all depends what you want to play with it, seems pretty much just personal preferance. a guy i know thats all metal head looked at me with disgust when i said i disagree that no amps distortion is good and that i prefer my amps distortion. other people, not so mental.
Quote by imgooley
Well, fuzz and overdrive are types of distortion, the just do it in different ways.

IMO, a distortion pedal is good for broadening the range of usable tones a person can get.
I can agree to that. But still I think you can agree, some amps really shouldn't have distortion pedals used with them because the tones with the amps natural overdrive and an overdrive pedal will be far superior to that of using a distortion pedal. Its on a case by case situation per amp, and what tone you are going for.

Something like Fuzz I can totally understand because that's a unique sound and a lot of amps won't get it on their own.
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Quote by imgooley
What the hell are you saying>? :stickpoke:

it wont let me use swear words, i had typed shi* t where the **** is. and i was pointing out that people use the wrong terms to describe stuff all the time. especially with art forms beacuse in descriptions u try and convey a feeling, not a textbook meaning. im just sticking up of rthe use of organic, cause i think it does a good job.
Quote by JJCC
Which do you feel works best? A lot of people say that using the amp's gain gives it a warmer distortion and is more dynamic, but at the same time lots of people say that most people use an amp's pre-amp gain which can sound brittle, lifeless, and inorganic - thus the reason for pedals. Pedals going straight into an amp's clean channel passes the amplifier's pre-amp section and drives straight to the power-amp section. Some people say this eliminates the negative effects of pre-amp gain. This also opens way for multiple individually voiced overdrive/distortion possibilities. At the same time, possibly depending on the pedal being used, people argue that the distortion becomes less tube-like and loses dynamics. What way do you think is the best or what do you like? Does anyone on here try a combination of the two by stacking amp and pedal overdrive/distortion?

There is a lot wrong with this post.

Your preamp is never being bypassed. Ever. Even if you're putting a pedal through a clean channel, you're still not driving the power amp unless you're turning up the volume.

Too much preamp gain tends to sound fizzy and buzzy, yet a lot of amps (mostly modern high gain amps) are built completely around overdriving a preamp.

In the end, if I can turn my amp up, I will. If I need more gain, I use a clean boost, if I can't turn the amp up and have to play at lower volumes I use a good pedal. My amp doesn't have a master volume, so I can't turn up preamp gain.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 24, 2008,
Quote by crumbedfish
it wont let me use swear words, i had typed shi* t where the **** is. and i was pointing out that people use the wrong terms to describe stuff all the time. especially with art forms beacuse in descriptions u try and convey a feeling, not a textbook meaning. im just sticking up of rthe use of organic, cause i think it does a good job.

It's misleading. Even the way the use the term Organic in describing food is wrong.

Like I said, it may be the chemical engineer in me, but come on. Sound cannot be organic by definition.

It's mainly corksniffers who use the damned term anyway.

Quote by rwalby9
I can agree to that. But still I think you can agree, some amps really shouldn't have distortion pedals used with them because the tones with the amps natural overdrive and an overdrive pedal will be far superior to that of using a distortion pedal. Its on a case by case situation per amp, and what tone you are going for.

Something like Fuzz I can totally understand because that's a unique sound and a lot of amps won't get it on their own.

Well put.
Quote by al112987

Your preamp is never being bypassed. Ever. Even if you're putting a pedal through a clean channel, you're still not driving the power amp unless you're turning up the volume.

I saw that too, but wasn't too fussed to correct it.
I don't like the use of "organic" either, I prefer, "natural".

And organic food just means inorganic pesticides were not used, doesn't matter much to me, I'm not a big fan of organic solvents either (chemist here as well...)
It's misleading. Even the way the use the term Organic in describing food is wrong.

Like I said, it may be the chemical engineer in me, but come on. Sound cannot be organic by definition.

It's mainly corksniffers who use the damned term anyway.

yeah when u put it that way, guess it is a pretty empty word when used wrong
so even if u plug a pedal into an effects return plug you're still using the amps pre amp?
Quote by al112987

Too much preamp gain tends to sound fizzy and buzzy, yet a lot of amps (mostly modern high gain amps) are built completely around overdriving a preamp.

In the end, if I can turn my amp up, I will. If I need more gain, I use a clean boost, if I can't turn the amp up and have to play at lower volumes I use a good pedal. My amp doesn't have a master volume, so I can't turn up preamp gain.

Ah yeah. My bad. Haha I'm just looking to spark up some opinions.