Hey guys. Been playing for about 10 years now. Acoustic isn't much of problem for me when it comes to my massive paws. However, I just got a Mex Strat as a gift and while it's definitely a step up from the Squier I've been rocking for 7+ years, I still get a lot of muted strings etc when it comes to certain chords. Certain bar chord shapes are hard to pull off, too, not technically but...physically.

So, what Brands/Models are out there that feature considerably larger/wider necks? I know Baritones get the job done but from what I've been reading, tuning a Baritone EADGBE isn't the wisest idea. And I'm pretty much a standard tuning guy. Anyways, thanks in advance for any and all help!

-CT
the cuervo gold / the fine columbian / make tonight a wonderful thing
try heavier strings. your acoustic probably has a lot heavier strings than the strat
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
I have huge hands too, like freakishly huge which is made worse by me being absolutely tiny.

I have a Gibson with a fat neck, it works out pretty well for me, but if your a strat guy you could always look in to getting your neck scalloped, that should help a lot with the muting, also don't take my word as gospel, I've never really had a problem with my hands, I actually think of them as an advantage because I can do some crazy stretches.

Maybe your best bet would be talking to someone who overcame a similar problem, and when you say huge hands do you mean fat fingers like Yngwie or ridiculously long fingers like I have?
Rawr! I'm a dinosaur
Les Paul...

They tend to have wider necks. Also, what do you mean by 'big hands'?
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
i have the opposite problem having small hands and fingers and the schecter hellraiser c7 is really tough for me so give that a go. its lon, wide and has big frets (and jumbo fretwire which i think helps)
look for a guitar that has Xjumbo frets (or extra jumbo). They're even bigger than the 'regular' jumbo frets that are also pretty big.
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Morley PWA Pro Series Wah
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Tales of Ale: http://www.talesofale.com
You could get a replacement neck for you MIM strat. Places like musikraft do them. Then you can pick what neck profile you want (a big one- maybe a fat C), the nut width (wider than stock for bigger fingers), and smaller fretwire (to give you more room between frets)
Get a guitar with a baseballbat neck. A Gibson '50s neck, or a dean USA (they have pretty chunky necks too).
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by supergerbil
You could get a replacement neck for you MIM strat. Places like musikraft do them. Then you can pick what neck profile you want (a big one- maybe a fat C), the nut width (wider than stock for bigger fingers), and smaller fretwire (to give you more room between frets)

That's exactly what I did, I loved my MIM Strat cause it had lace sensors in it so I just bought an american neck from the 90s with a larger C shape, it fits my hand better and I have pretty big hands being 6' 2" and 14.
Proud owner of:
1981 Carvin X100B
1987 Strat Plus w/ DiMarzios
BBE Main Squeeze
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-7
Morley Mark Tremonti Power Wah
Thanks for all the help guys. You all have some really good advice. I should clarify, although it might be too late, my hands are big as in long and a little wider. Not fat fingers. To put it in perspective, I'm 6 foot 2 with a size 16 foot and hands to match. So i don't think the scalloped neck would make a difference but I think changing the neck would, as some of you said. Thanks again!
I have pretty much the same problem, but I'm like 5'11 and have need like XXXL sized gloves. A fat neck should help, just make sure you grip it properly. I have a fat neck on my SG and it really helps.
Rawr! I'm a dinosaur
Quote by CerpinTaxt
So, what Brands/Models are out there that feature considerably larger/wider necks?

Well, the Gibson 50s neck is considerably beefy. You might look into that. I imagine your problem is not so much the thickness of the neck, but the width of the fretboard, and by extension, the string-spacing, right? Stratocasters have a longer scale length, but the strings are spaced slightly closer together. I know that Les Pauls have wider string spacing. It's not by much, but it might be the tihng that does it for you. Try a bunch of guitars with different string spacings. I don't think scale-length is your issue.
I have a les paul with a gibson '50s neck on it and it is quite beefy and took some getting used to and i like it. I don't have the biggest hands in the world. Maybe you could try one out? I don't know if a 7 string would be the way to go. They tend to have fatter necks but would the string spacing be smaller?
Quote by Martin Scott
I imagine your problem is not so much the thickness of the neck, but the width of the fretboard, and by extension, the string-spacing, right? Stratocasters have a longer scale length, but the strings are spaced slightly closer together.

Your post FTW. This is exactly what I was trying to say. =) Width of the fretboard and string spacing. Thanks for all the advice everyone. I think I'm going to look into some Gibsons or maybe getting a fatter neck for my strat.
There are some Agile with wide neck available sometime ago. Go to rondomusic and camp for one :p Why not try your luck request one? Kurt there is a very helpful guy and he actually did some special requests in the past.

A very interesting thing I've learned from Schecter support is that their TOM bridge has less nut width then those with Floyd Rose. The exact number is 52.7mm vs 51.2mm. Not sure if this applies to another branches, though.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Yeah it's certainly not only Gibson with wider string-spacing. By extension, Epiphone copies should of course have the wider Gibson spacing (but Epiphone specs are not always accurate to the Gibson ones). But yeah, there are other brands. I'm not really too sure. Go try a bunch of guitars. I know that Fender guitars are actually sort of renowned for having small string-spacing. So it's kind of the worst guitar you could have gotten, lawl. Don't think your playing days are over or anything, there's a lot of guitars out there that would suit your hands better. Look into Ibanez. Paul Gilbert has massive hands, and he endorses Ibanez.

Ultimately, I find my Les Pauls have the same (roughly) nut-width, and therefore string-spacing of your average acoustic. So the Gibson nut-width is probably what you should be shooting for. Which doesn't mean it must be a Gibson, or an Epiphone. These are standard specifications which a lot of guitars abide by. In six-string guitars, there's basically two-standards among production-line guitars; Fender specs (25.5 scale, narrower nut), and Gibson specs (24.75 scale, wider nut). The vast majority of mass-produced guitars will adhere to either of these 'standards' fairly closely, if not exactly.

It shouldn't be that difficult for you. I think the only challenge will be if you really like Strats, and want to find a Strat-type guitar with a wider neck, since most Strat variants tend to be based on Fender's specs, for obvious reasons.
Not to hijack your thread, but I have the exact oppisit problem. Despite being a fairly average to big(ger) guy, at 5 foot 11, 190lbs, and a build suited for football if I ever worked at it, I have pretty small hands and feet (mine are only slightly bigger then my friend sarah's, and shes something like 5 foot 2 and tiny as ****). I love my les paul and guild, but I'd love something with a smaller neck.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.