I'm kind of stuck. One of my friends who is very good at guitar is into metal and blues. Two genres I'm not familiar with. Could someone suggest me music to listen to and some tips on playing and jamming with a guitarist who plays those genres.
I'm no expert on blues, but metal is a big genre - there's a lot of difference between Black Sabbath and Satyricon, for example. What kind of metal does he play?
i don't know a lot of metal, but for blues look into Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton(and any other bands that he has been in), Rolling Stones, Thin Lizzy is good blues influenced rock.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
If he likes blues and metal, I bet he is into guitarists like slash also, so maybe try something from guns n roses, and from that move to heavier stuff:P
He plays in a hardcore metal type band. He favors Iron Maiden. I listen to Hendrix and Cream quite often but the improv blues gets me in a rut
or consider looking into stevie ray, zz top or even some of kirk hammett's work from the load series. that was also influenced by some blues...
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
If he likes Maiden he probably likes a lot of NWoBHM so try listening to Maiden, Black Sabbath, Diamond Head etc. You could try some of the early Thrash as well, as alot of that was inspired by British Metal. So that'd be Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax, Megadeth and Exodus.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
blues and metal -> satriani and vai?

I'd suggest listening to some Metallica, Iron Maiden, DReam Theater
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Stevie Feckin Ray Vaughan!!!!!!!!!!!
'If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.' Albert Einstein
Jimi Hendrix Experience, Cream and Led Zeppelin. the bands that pioneered hard blues, eventually causing metal to form.

though Stevie Ray isn't a bad thought.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I have never seen Iron Maiden called hardcore metal, until today ><

Listen to that and learn it if thats what he favors. And depending on what else he listens to, the field is still open. Anything from All That Remains to In Flames.
The blues scale and the minor pentatonic will help you with your blues improv.
Listen to some Stevie Ray.
and if you're gonna play Maiden then you need to learn how to "gallop" with your fingers.
If you want an idea of the skill level required to play most of Maiden's stuff learn "mother russia".
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Last edited by Victory2134 at Aug 24, 2008,
The Blues scale makes blues improv so much easier it's not even funny.
Crossing from Blues to metal is not too hard; alot of the heavier rock and early metal owes quite a bit to blues forms and playing. Hell spending a good afternoon with Led Zeppelin, Cream or even some of the earlier Black Sabbath output will give you some great examples.

Honestly, I can't talk on metal, since I kind of lost interest in that genre after about 1978 (with occasional forays into Iron Maiden and Norwegian death metal, lol). But for blues I do have a decent amount of knowledge about and currently play in a band. Here are some suggestions. If you want or need more, PM or post back in this thread.

Classic Blues
--listen to the Kings (Freddie, BB., Albert). I particularly love Albert and BB. King. and Freddie King's "Hideaway" is a workout. Willie Dixon is a blues giant--wrote some tasty classics and was a bass player. Check out Bobby "Blue" Bland, Howling Wolf (who's song "Killing Floor" was used by Led Zeppelin in the Lemon Song), Charlie Musslewhite and Elmore James.

Rock Blues--John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, Cream, Taj Mahal, a good portion of early Hendrix and Led Zeppelin, Jeff Beck Group, Allman Brothers Band, John Mayer, Black Crowes, Canned Heat.

And Stevie Ray Vaughan, who really is in a class by himself. I adore Tommy Shannon, who I think is one of the greatest rock blues bass players ever to grace the planet. His bass lines held down the low end and were the driving engine of that band, but were amazingly creative.

On tips--for blues, less is more and remember you are the rhythm section, esp. if there is no drummer. You are providing the foundation for the guitarist to fly and improvise. You don't want to compete here, you want to create a foundation. This doesn't mean you can't throw a tasteful fill in here and there though. But playing blues does wonders for teaching you how to land in the pocket consistently.

For scales, learn your pentatonics and your blues scales. Both will serve you well in metal and blues.

Enjoy!
^ that
Starting bass or just looking for a new one? Here's a suggestion: Go to your local music store and try some out.
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

check out all they videos on youtube
they dead serious about thuggin like that
if you ask me they are fruity
an i hope one morning they drown in there fruit loops
Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Lulz, I would quote that if my sig wasn't full.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
Quote by anarkee

Honestly, I can't talk on metal, since I kind of lost interest in that genre after about 1978 (with occasional forays into Iron Maiden and Norwegian death metal, lol).

Opeth are Swedish, dear But I'll let that slide, since the pckage came yesterday thank joooooooooooooooooooo
Quote by anarkee
Honestly, I can't talk on metal, since I kind of lost interest in that genre after about 1978 (with occasional forays into Iron Maiden and Norwegian death metal, lol).

Any Dimmu Borgir by chance? Great symphonic Black metal, along with Emperor. Good stuff . TS, Give this stuff a look. For bluesy metal, look no further than Black Sabbath's first two albums. If you can't get ahold of them, PM me.

Quote by Wasted Bassist

Sigged.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Opeth are Swedish, dear But I'll let that slide, since the pckage came yesterday thank joooooooooooooooooooo

Cool Ben! Let me know when you need more lucky charms

Yeah--I need to go back and re-learn my northern European metal geography, lol.