Alrighty, my bass player friend and I have been watching a lot of Metallica videos on Youtube lately and he's dying to know what kind of settings Rob Trujillo uses on his Ampeg SVTs.

So what does he do for that snappy tone?

(Also, I think Metallica use lots of mid's to sculpt their guitar tones, he thinks they uses little, if any)

What do your ears say think?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone SG Special Customshop
Jackson JS30RR

Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss Metal Zone
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Ibanez Lo Fi
Behringer Tuner

Marshall AVT100X

Quote by IUseAPurplePick
Quote by Joshrocker48
I Use a purple pick.

+1
way to not follow the rules and post the exact same thread in the bass forum
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
As for mid/tone searching, I find the best tool is a parametric EQ. Using a mid-sweep you can dial in virtually anyones tone. I use a Sansamp RPM which has a mid sweep / level control. It works great because the Sansamp by design removes some mids, I just put'em back with the eq. Anyway, my 2 cents.
It's all in his fingers. Literally.

He uses all his fingers to pluck the strings, with a very hard, aggressive attack. It has nothing to do with his amp settings.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Martindecorum
metallica in studio dont use mids but live the engineering adds them on the desk so it can still cut through

as for robs tone i dont no

+ no double postin

Not quite, but you're on the right track.

Late eighties Metallitone was actually a whole bunch of things. In Layman's terms though, what they did was they had dialed out the mids on their preamps (which were rewired Mark IV heads) with a parametric EQ and they would run them through a mid heavy power amp (usually a Marshall of sorts.)
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Not quite, but you're on the right track.

Late eighties Metallitone was actually a whole bunch of things. In Layman's terms though, what they did was they had dialed out the mids on their preamps (which were rewired Mark IV heads) with a parametric EQ and they would run them through a mid heavy power amp (usually a Marshall of sorts.)

ah yes, thanks for correcting me, and it makes generally more sense lol
cheers