hi all, I'm thinking of buying a custom-made Ibanez off a friend for around £30, which in my mind is an absolute bargain seeing as when he brought it it was custom made and cost him around £700 about a year ago. however, he had since given up and is offering me the guitar.

However......

the guitar is in a wreck. all the paint is chipped and fading, looks rusy and places and is in a general mess (hence the price). therefore if i buy it im stripping it down so ive just the body and neck and plan on replacing the pickups, re-spraying it, the works.

my dads a qaulified electrician building panels so is good with his hands and can help with the electrics side of things. anyway heres my main questions (sorry if its completly noobish but hey i am)

as it is my first custom i was wondering if it is worth taking a a risk with this guitar which last year was a gleaming, monsterous looking beast? or, considering how much i can get it for, say suff it and go for it?

and if yes,

would i be able to put a tremolo bar on if i replaced the bridge?

thanks in advance

seán
Quote by Dillona
NME: OMFG DEY HAZ TIGHT JEENZ N MESSY HAIRZ!

LETS COVER THEM IN OUR MAGAZINE FOR THE NEXT THREE MONTHS! .

Metallica 08.07.07
Depends on what they did to it..
If it's just the body and the laque and paint that are damaged, then you can do it.
If the sound quality is suffering, try for something else maybe. Play it before you buy it, see what you can make of it. You decide if it's worth the 30 bucks
make sure you can restore it to a high playing quality first. otherwise, worth is a perspective word. so only you will know if it is worth it to you.
**** yes, buy it.

For £30 its obviously worth buying! Unless u made a typo and meant to put £300.

You can re-do the whole guitar for no more than £100, unless you change out the pickups.
Quote by Base Ics
Depends on what they did to it..
If it's just the body and the laque and paint that are damaged, then you can do it.
If the sound quality is suffering, try for something else maybe. Play it before you buy it, see what you can make of it. You decide if it's worth the 30 bucks

sorry meant to say, doesnt work when plugged into an amp, just makes a reli faint huming noise, hence me wishing to replace the pickups and electrics. i might get it anyway for that price. thanks for the advice though
Also is there a site that allows you to design the paintjob ect? had a look but can't find anything

EDIT: ill try and upload some pics but my computer doesn't like my camera. You'll see the true extent of the absuse thing guitar has been through then
Quote by Dillona

Metallica 08.07.07
Last edited by leprechaun_sean at Aug 24, 2008,
chances are that this thing is only a simple solder away from playing.

buy it, and make this thing a beast

and pics ftw, sir. FTW.
------

Shwiggity.
For £30 quid you can't go wrong.

At the very worst you'll understand more about guitars when you take it apart. You can buy (cheap) parts to fix it up for less than £100.

If the wood is okay then it's a steal imo.

As for the tremolo question, unless it has been routed with a trem cavity in the rear then you'd need that doing before fitting a trem. Check round for luthiers in your location and ask for a price. It is possible to do it yourself and save money however.
Quote by deftonesordie
chances are that this thing is only a simple solder away from playing.

buy it, and make this thing a beast

and pics ftw, sir. FTW.

ill see what i can do im seeing him in the next few days. uploading them will be anotheer thing completly my comp crashes when i connect it

For £30 quid you can't go wrong.

At the very worst you'll understand more about guitars when you take it apart. You can buy (cheap) parts to fix it up for less than £100.

If the wood is okay then it's a steal imo.

Quote by bellerophon
As for the tremolo question, unless it has been routed with a trem cavity in the rear then you'd need that doing before fitting a trem. Check round for luthiers in your location and ask for a price. It is possible to do it yourself and save money however.

is it superbly difficult to do this or would it be better getting a luthiers?
Quote by Dillona

Metallica 08.07.07
How difficult it would be depends on how handy you are at woodworking and whether you have the tools/space/time to do it.
There should be plans on the net for whichever trem system you choose or the manufacturers should be able to tell you the dimensions required.
If you decide to do it yourself then practice (a lot) on spare wood first.