Page 1 of 3
So I'm (most probably) moving to Canada middle of next year to read civil engineering. Was thinking of chatting to some Canadians in UG to kind of gauge how the place is, how long I can go without getting beaten up, etc etc.

**** Canadia! What's it all aboot eh?
"Ignorance runs rampant through this virus we call life, dead one day, alive the next, never breaking a stride. As I take it all in and realize, nothing we do can stop it, I release the hatred from my eyes, only to feel it within."
Quote by Time Seller
So I'm (most probably) moving to Canada middle of next year to read civil engineering. Was thinking of chatting to some Canadians in UG to kind of gauge how the place is, how long I can go without getting beaten up, etc etc.

hahahhaa. Dude, you'll never have to worry about that. In terms of safety, Canada is pretty top notch.
Be cool.
Canada is probably the friendliest place in the world. I spent a couple summers up there. Nice place, awfully cold though.
Quote by Time Seller
Er. I'm stuck for a response.

Lol, I was just kidding...I'm bored as hell.
"Ignorance runs rampant through this virus we call life, dead one day, alive the next, never breaking a stride. As I take it all in and realize, nothing we do can stop it, I release the hatred from my eyes, only to feel it within."
Quote by lemon
Which city?

Beats me. Need to apply to them universities probably around the end of this year. So I really have no idea yet.

Yeah, I heard it's cold. Gonna be pretty hard to adapt, I suppose. Lol.
Quote by metaldud536
You know now that I think of it, NO ONE on UG who is Canadian has ever started a thread about him getting beat up by wiggers/chavs.

No one who's Malaysian either, but people die here everyday. EVERYDAY! *dramatic increase in sound volume*
its nice and friendly lol
Sharing is caring
Fuck the RIAA

- Gear -
ESP LTD MH-400
Epiphone Les Paul
Vox AD30VT
Zoom G2.1u
Montreal for the win. McGill Univeristy if you can as well

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus-Top, SH-2 and SH-5
Ibanez GRX20
Baron Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Cube 15
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter
Boss BF-3 Flanger
Quote by Time Seller
Oh, that reminds me. Need to learn French.

how did that remind you exactly ?
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
Quote by Time Seller
No one who's Malaysian either, but people die here everyday. EVERYDAY! *dramatic increase in sound volume*

like people don't die in Canada. Death is everywhere.
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.
Being a Canadian and a future engineering student, let me say good choice.

I wouldn't worry too much about Canada. We're not a violent place, usually. Depends on where you're staying, though.

EDIT: And the only place you'll need french for is Quebec. Most likely Quebec City. You can go to certain places in the province of Quebec and not speak a word of french, ever. Like Montreal. Everyone there speaks both.
Quote by Time Seller
Er. French. Nice. Friendly. See the connection?

Eh, yeah. Will apply to McGill, but I hope I can keep my grades high.

*shakes head*
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
hopefully ill be in calgary next summer. any fun to be had there? i hear good things about the calgary stampede, but apart from that is there much to do?
Ibanez RGT42FM w/duncans
Musuc Man JP6, fully loaded
Crybaby 95Q
Boss DD6
Mesa DC-5
Canada!!!
i've never been beaten up or mugged (close to once though)
depending on where you live, you'll most likely be fine
Living is easy with eyes closed...
--------------------------

Quote by GnR_ROK
I'm surprised you returned to this thread after cheeseman owned you.
On the Praries you get Hot summers, Cold winters. British Columbia is composed of mainly Valleys so its never really cold there, 30C+ Summers, mild winters.
Ontario is very humid around the great lakes so expect hot summers, not sure about the winters.

Really Canada is only cold based on the prairies and the fact that we own most of the Arctic. The prairies aren't even that cold anymore, I live in Calgary and because of the Chinooks (warm, dry winds from the mountains) we get in the Winter it's only really cold for like a week.

You get used to below 0, it isn't that cold.

Quote by el-gilberto
hopefully ill be in calgary next summer. any fun to be had there? i hear good things about the calgary stampede, but apart from that is there much to do?

Calgary is awesome during the stampede.
Lots of stuff to do during the summer like Global Fest (fireworks competition), Virgin Fest might be coming back next year. I can't think of much off the top of my head right now. The city is huge area wise as it grows out and not up. Stay away from the East Village in Downtown. You'll know where it is when you see crackheads hanging around the Cecil Hotel, Beerland, and the Drop-in center.
Other then that Calgary is safe unless you hang around with the Asian gangs.
Last edited by CaptainRon at Aug 24, 2008,
im heading there in a 2 years time. i have relatives there and they lead a pretty good life. yep.
HI GUYS!
haha yeah canada... its a place alright.. i should know,,, i live there... yep ... i live here in southern ontario ... here or the west cost is where u wanna b .. alot of places in canada further north dont get o much summer so yeah ... but keep in mi 0' C is not cold.... 30'C is... and other than that.. no worries on being mugged r anything ... well i dont live in a town so ofcousre its never happend to me but ... its a goo place to b.. nd fyi quebec has good food
I Shit You Not
Well I'm from New Brunswick us and the rest of the Maritimes are pretty nice places. Also all Canadians cum syrup.
Quote by NGD1313
Canada is probably the friendliest place in the world. I spent a couple summers up there. Nice place, awfully cold though.

...I hate Canada, I spent a couple summers up there and everyone managed to meet the annoying Can-head stereotype, but maybe it was just the area I'm in.
Quote by Awaken
Montreal for the win. McGill Univeristy if you can as well

No you don't, unless you decide to go to Quebec... but that's not Canada, that's french's evil daughter

I'd say either B.C. or Ontario for places to Move to. There are still assholes here, people who will break into your house, steal your car and beat you up, but the chances of all these are less then in America.

So, enjoy your time here

^ where were you at?
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Last edited by floppypick at Aug 24, 2008,
Just curious, is speaking French necessary to live in Canada or do a lot of people speak English? Or is it more of a geography thing?
you dont HAVE to learn french, it's not like everyone speaks it here... just some people... and just act nice, be prepared for everyone to say sorry to you for the smallest things.. and just have fun, we're awesome up here
Quote by Smokey Amp
Aren't all voiceovers performed by Morgan Freeman?

I thought that was like a law or something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1KI2Bxcx8M
^^^^ Please watch this! we need more views to win $20 000!
Quote by kleptotron
Rush and Hockey, need I say more?

you forgot BEER and TIM HORTONS
Quote by The Silent Fool
...I hate Canada, I spent a couple summers up there and everyone managed to meet the annoying Can-head stereotype, but maybe it was just the area I'm in.

Where did you stay?
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

random funny story (which takes place in canada)
so im on this overnight school skiing trip, and the bus were on stops at this plaza type place so evryone can take a dump/fap/eat /w/e anyhoo me and some guys go into a dollar store and this kid i know only had a 100$ bill on him. and he only bought one thing

the cashiere was pissed

i suppose you had to be there
Quote by CowboyUp
Just curious, is speaking French necessary to live in Canada or do a lot of people speak English? Or is it more of a geography thing?

its more of a geography thing. its handy in quebec, but everywhere else, people speak english

EDIT: sorry bout the double post
As long as you aren't from USA you'll be treated with respect. Canada isn't dangerous in most places so you'll be alright. Most Canadians are pretty smart too unless you get around lower Ontario/Quebec area and then the people start getting dumber kinda like a lot of Americans. OUt in Western Canada you will make the most money in a job and in the Maritimes (eastern Canada) you will have the friendliest people for the most part. Although there are some arrogant assholes like me here.
It's great here in canada and you don't have to worry about getting beat up
Who Said Anything About A Signature ? ಠ_ಠ
Dude come in Québec and eat as much poutine as you can. You won't regret it. And canada is pretty safe, no risk in being beaten up. And people only speak french in Québec, no need to learn french if you're outside that province.
Quote by nodnod
As long as you aren't from USA you'll be treated with respect. Canada isn't dangerous in most places so you'll be alright. Most Canadians are pretty smart too unless you get around lower Ontario/Quebec area and then the people start getting dumber kinda like a lot of Americans. OUt in Western Canada you will make the most money in a job and in the Maritimes (eastern Canada) you will have the friendliest people for the most part. Although there are some arrogant assholes like me here.

HEY! dude, i live right on the border of ny/ontario/quebec and we are not stupid. its actually a nice place to live, especially when the canadian dollar was over the us dollar.
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.
Page 1 of 3